Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

The practice area is pretty much unmatched. The fairways are pretty generous, but on a day when I was spraying them, its frustrating that I was better off 50 yards in the other fairway vs 15 off the one I was playing. Still a fun place.

@EddieMenemsha The sand thing is interesting, I dont know how they fix that. Maybe since they are so new it needs to settle? Remove some? Its just weird to be in a fairway bunker and feel like you just sink in to your shins.

I went to Schaumburg Golf club this weekend and that place is super underrated. The renovations look really good. A steal for like $60.

1 Like

I agree with both you and @PinkPantser on Dubs. Excellent condition, enough width, and score-able if you can elevate a ball out of a green side bunker. I think if you are a 20+ cap who can’t get the ball in the air, it would be brutal. Most approach shots are into elevated greens over bunkers. That is (in my opinion) what Phil was addressing. It was all taken out of context and went a long way to help people come to missinformed opinions on the place.

1 Like

Hey @thefriedegg , have you had a chance to check out Blackstone yet?

1 Like

I know this is old, but I have some insider info on Ravisloe. They are looking to convert 12 into a short par 5. They want to open that up a little, but still keep a shoot. The idea is to make it a risk/reward par 5 where you can go for it in two, but the green is very well protected on all side. Also, in the future (a couple of years down the line) they want to move the tee on 7 back and make it into a driveable par 4. Move the tee behind 6s green and make it a dog leg short par 4.

1 Like

I don’t mind moving the #12 tee back but hopefully not far enough to take the center bunker out of play for the better players.

I like that idea you described for #7. You could keep the water and the trees along the right as-is and move the tee back and to the right to make the aggressive carry over water maybe 250. The shape of the lengthened hole suggests a fade, but the green is well designed to protect against it with the green side bunkers and a somewhat left to right slope.

1 Like

Now I’m looking at the satellite photo and there’s not much room between the 6th and 8th greens to move the 7 tee back. You’d get maybe another 35 yards. To compensate for the short length, bring the water up parallel to the hole on the right to penalize the aggressive shot that leaks out. As it plays now as a par 3 you want to miss right, but as a par 4 I think you want the better miss to be left so players cant take the bunkers out of play.

1 Like

For 12, I would like moving the tee back where the center bunker comes more into play for bigger hitters. For me now, I hit driver and that bunker isn’t in play for me. Move the tees back 20-30 yards and now I have to think about hitting driving or laying up short. I am not sure how that bunker can come into play with that hole being a par 5. It would need to be a longer par 5 where a layup makes the bunker come into play.

Well, Saturday I had the opportunity to play Chicago Golf Club. The presentation of the course was at its peak according to the members we talked to. There was excitement among them as to the fast and firm conditions. The history that has been preserved at the club both on the course and inside the clubhouse is remarkable.

I have played fast greens but these were certainly right on the edge in relation to the slope of the greens. We all adjusted pretty quickly with the putter but approach shots were extremely challenging. I landed a wedge out of the rough about 3 yard right of the pin and got ejected!

Overall one of the best days I have spent on a golf course. The par threes are just amazing. If anyone has any questions about the course I would be happy to respond.

5 Likes

My question would be how can you get me on? Haha…

I wish it was that easy… It fell into my lap.

No doubt. I’m glad it was so enjoyable. I had a great time out there walking the course for the Sr Women’s event this summer. I actually grew up 2 miles from the course. It was crazy to have access to it and finally get to see it. Before that, my knowledge of it was limited to what I’d heard and a few trips down the small private roads bordering the property.

Shout out to the refuge. I finally went to Prairie Landing on Monday. That place was a blast. It was really soggy since it had rained over the weekend but can tell when its dry you could have some fun rolling it around. Definitely one of the best suburb courses I’ve been to. Much more playable than the photos lead on, from their website you’d think that water would be a more of a factor than it actually was - and I can spray with the best of em. This thread got me to there, Ravisloe and Mt Prospect this summer. YUGE.

1 Like

I’ve lived out here in Chicago for a couple years now, but this is my first time staying in Chicago for Thanksgiving. One of my favorite things to do is a Thanksgiving Morning “turkey shoot” (shotgun start). Is there anything out in Chicago like that? Or is it just too cold.

Not sure if I know of any on Thanksgiving, but I know there are generally some scattered through November around here.

I’m most excited about the short course they’ve got planned, will be fantastic to take my daughter there. Dunno about feasibility, but I hope they stage the construction to get that bit done sooner than the full course.

1 Like

1 Like

I’m between Bartlett Hills, Glendale Lake, or Maple Meadows for tomorrow

LOVE playing Bartlett, since the greens always seem to hold their roll in the winter months

WELP

Looks like all you need to do is slide $10 under the pro shop door and you’re all squared away!
Anyone else gonna be around?

Ravisloe was open last weekend but they had 7 greens covered :frowning:

Was just coming to see if anyone made it out. I looked in trying to go but the tee time booking seemed to be a crap shoot with most places.

I’ve been settling for some weekly trips to the white pines golf dome.