Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

No it’s literally shaped like an anchor.

3 Likes

It’s memorable. It has that going for it?

Yeah, no real tips other than if you get a bad pin placement on #15, don’t psych yourself out. I get in my head way too much on that hole.

I love the effort, but I see just a couple problems with that routing.

What’s the cheapest way to play harborside?

At night.

6 Likes

Play it in the winter

1 Like

We’re playing it for $65. One of the golfnow deals they have currently.

1 Like

Couple problems? You clearly haven’t seen the “tunnel shot” before :wink:

2 Likes

Wait, you’ve done this? Ok, now I’m genuinely curious. I figured the tee shot from 14 to 18 is too much of a carry over the trees. Same w/ 12->11 w/o going the tunnel route (sidenote: siiiick). And a couple of the road crossing seem implausible in my head w/ the tree cover (8->4, 11->10, 5->6 especially. The angle from 10->9???).

1 Like

So there’s two ways to play 12 > 11…one is the tunnel route (my favorite), but there’s also a gap in the trees you can aim for to hit over the tracks into the 11th green (the shot is about 130-140yards ish). Really fun hole with great options!

This one is tricky, just because there’s one very large tree behind 8 green. So it’s a wedge off the tee, then another wedge or even a 9 to get over/around the tree and across the street. I think this is the toughest hole of them all…our group all DNF’ed having left our second in the crosswalk (best ball - but once you hit a ball into the street/OB you’re out of the hole).

8iron to punchy 9 to scoot the ball across the street here. They cleared out a ton of underbrush so this plays quite easy now.

The tee is in line with the crosswalk, and there’s about a 8-10 yard gap to start the ball through. All you really have to do is not block or snap hook the tee shot, and the ball will make it across no problem. I birdied this hole 2 years ago…might be the greatest golfing achievement of my life.

Another sneaky good reverse hole is 15 to 14, since the street pinches the approach shot and there are big trees guarding the green. So it’s 4/5 iron, 9 iron past the green into 14 fairway, and then chipping back towards the hole.

1 Like

but there’s also a gap in the trees you can aim for to hit over the tracks into the 11th green

They cleared more trees this year so the vertical approach may be a lot easier.

our group all DNF’ed having left our second in the crosswalk (best ball - but once you hit a ball into the street/OB you’re out of the hole).

This makes sense.

punchy 9 to scoot the ball across the street here

Batshit

there’s about a 8-10 yard gap to start the ball through

Batshit. I guess it makes a big difference playing w/o leaves on the trees.

Another sneaky good reverse hole is 15 to 14

Apologies for missing that one. Playing passed the green is brilliant. I live within walking distance and am at the course multiple times a week and couldn’t figure that one either.

This is amazing. If you do this again this year, please, lmk!

2 Likes

OH! And you basically have to aim at the train bridge to go from 3 green across to 12 green…it’s a blind shot that you basically just hit and hope. Great fun…we’re definitely working on having an NLU day out there soon

Good sight lines on that one now w/ the tree removals!

This is hilarious, and would never work.

Hello friend :slight_smile:

OH. Oh oh oh…um…I challenge you to a duel!

We play match play going the right way around, and then flip course in the afternoon for a fun jaunt through the reverse routing. @JBors am I doing this right?

EDIT: We’re calling it “The War at the Shores”. There is no other name. Even if we can’t go around backwards then we’ll play 36. This is happening.

8 Likes

do u baby boo

1 Like

I’m 100% in. But if I lose, I can always just claim it was the fault of the routing, not my own personal doing

1 Like

Greens fees can go directly to the Canal Shores Crew since they’re a non-profit and don’t get help from Wilmette or Evanston.

I’m so pumped. Not sure we’ll be able to do the reverse routing but I’ll talk with the clubhouse and see if we can do it. There will be another thread for this…you da man @slick_willy

2 Likes