Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Greens were shaggy in June but massive and will be super fun. It’s also 20 minutes from EH for a solid double header!

I’m right in your neighborhood. Hit me up if you want to play sometime. One of my buddies lives on #8 at Foxford.

Cary Area too. Get out to foxford a ton cause of the the family golf. Gotta say though I like the last 5 holes at chalet hills and mchenry country club equal to foxford. The Elgin courses I really like but none of them strike the memory like the giant rock walls and southern style bunkers like foxford. Or “lake chalet”.would love to link up with you guys.

Anytime. Unless you’re playing Chalet Hills.
Then probably not. The place was hard enough when it was in good shape. Now it’s all overgrown on the edges and bare spots on the fairways and greens.
It’s just not fun.

I’m from the Peoria area and drove up yesterday to play Bolingbrook Golf Club with a friend of mine who lives near there.

It struck me as an interesting layout on an absolutely huge chunk of land. From what I gather it’s always blowing at least 15mph at all times there too. Clubhouse and entrance are quite impressive for what that’s worth.

Just curious what the locals think of it and where it fits in with the better courses in the Chicagoland area.

1 Like

Little late to the party, but this match play bracket looks like a ton of fun. If anyone has to drop out I would be more than happy to fill the empty spot. I live in the city but am willing to drive to any of the burbs to play. Cheers!

1 Like

Cjordan and bald vinny. I was an afternoon pass holder at Foxford for years. I play almost all of my weekday golf in the afternoon s. Played Foxford 5 /6 times this year but with the early restrictions this decided not to re-up my pass. Been bouncing around our area. Let me know if you want to hook up. BTW played Chalet last week. Course is in rough shape. Greens were slow fairways had dollar spot all over and the traps hadn’t been ranked in days. Really a shame for what it used to be.

Any reason why nobody reached out until now regarding spots for either of these events? We’ve had an entire section of the board devoted to this very thing. We’re a little late in the game with the NIT in two months and most spots spoken for. Shoot @Randy a dm or email and we’ll go from there - thanks! Tagging @JBors in too as his post was similar.

3 Likes

Listen, things were moving quickly (and maybe we are dumb).

7 Likes

I love Chicago, as i said, I was born there. Do I think that many Chicagoans treat it with a mix of chip on shoulder while simultaneously acting like the country revolves around it? Yes. But it’s a great city with great people. Let me be in a bad mood this AM and express bewilderment that we have an entire section of this website dedicated to refuge events and yet here we are :joy:

9 Likes

The Chicago thread employs a move fast and break things mentality that cannot be held to the strict standards of “categories” and “rules”.

13 Likes

Peoria huh? :wink: Played BGC 2 years ago in a 4-ball qualifier and got absolutely ejected. Didn’t play bad but many of the greens are humped and its better to short side yourself for an uphill putt (middle of the green is not always good). Fun course overall, I have heard from some locals that its slightly overpriced for daily play ($80-100). I’d like another crack at it for sure. Great range/practice area.

1 Like

Very disappointing to hear about chalet. They got a new owner a few years ago that was sinking some money in but perhaps that changed (included a bunker renovation).

My bad, TC. We really did not plan these things until super late in the year as is. We’ll be better next year (insert Cubs joke here).

I feel like I just got yelled at over the dinner table but probably deserved it anyway.

4 Likes

As if there’s any semblance of organization on The Refuge.

You must be new here.

5 Likes

Seems like they put all their money into advertising above bar bathroom urinals. I had never played there, but this type of advertising isn’t going to draw the clientele you want.

If only there were moderators or something to direct the flow of organization.

1 Like

Welcome to the wonderful world of Golf Event Planning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I said Peoria area, pal…lol

Yeah, the green complexes all seem to be elevated but they were running slower than I thought they would. Still no bueno to be on the wrong level of the green as the lack of speed really pulled putts offline once they started dying.

Speaking of USGA 4-Ball qualifiers…I’m playing in the one at Odyssey Golf Foundation (?) in Tinley Park towards the end of the month. Anyone have a good scout on that track?

I’m just cranky this morning - been dealing with some lower back issues since I returned from Oregon. And Freddie thought it would be funny to take a dump in the yard last night. Just one of those weeks.

11 Likes