Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Kicked off the birdie every hole at your home course challenge with a bang the other day at Jackson par 4 11th by driving the green for the first time. Not able to carry the water under normal circumstances but the lake was still frozen over so I gave it a go and got a perfect bounce off the ice. What say you Chicagoland NLU, does it count for the birdie challenge? I’m an 11 hc so I don’t get a lot of birdie looks, have mercy on me.

4 Likes

Played Sydney on Saturday and Harborside on Sunday.

Syd: 2:45hr round, mud.
HS: Walked and finished in 3:30hr. Soggy.

1 Like

Played Tam O’Shanter yesterday; 4 pars, a trip, two doubles, but no snowmen. Felt good hitting the hosel on my first two swings of the season.

1 Like

Was at Ravisloe Saturday morning - great to see others getting involved and repping the cause.

I played at my home course on Saturday. Loved it. One dude told me Cantigny wanted $100 to play. Seems kinda nuts for this time of the year.

How were the conditions this early? Love that course but even after a light rain it is pretty bad, so I can’t imagine it post-winter.

I played Cantigny for $38 on Friday… so not sure what that guy was talking about.

Dunno. Didn’t look myself. One guy pulled up his phone and verified it when looking at tee times.

But, whatever. Just thought (if true) it’s kinda goofy.

1 Like

1st post. Live in Crystal Lake, home course is Turnberry Golf Club. It used to be private but crashed with the economy about ten years ago. Public now but you can join for $300 and pay reduced rates. Pretty good track retaining the good greens of a private club. Other area favorites are Stonewall, Blackstone and Redtail is cheap and fun.

2 Likes

I think a lot of places always have their summer rates in their online reservation systems instead of changing them for shoulder season. They only use it for actually making the tee time, not payment.

Also got out to Sydney on Saturday - they were running 30 min behind. Definitely flubbed a few mud wedges. Bunkers never great with the playground sand, but have not been touched by maintenance yet this season. Still great to get out and got paired with a friendly crew that moved.

Any refugees wanna play Ravisloe Saturday April 6th at 8:40? We currently have 2 in the group.

The McHenry County area has some GREAT tracks (Cary CC, Chalet Hills, Foxford, RedTail, etc)

How is Turnberry? I work with a guy that loves that course but I haven’t made it up there to play

Played Ravisloe last Saturday, frost delayed for about an hour but we had a blast once we got moving. Be wary of balls going underground with the soggy conditions.

It’s by far my favorite course in the area even with the soggy conditions. Might try and get a quick 9 in at Sydney today.

2 Likes

I really feel like we need to set up a Refuge outing this summer at Ravisloe. Should be able to get at least 12 easily.

11 Likes

If it fits my schedule, count me in.

I’m sad to say I’ve never played Ravisloe. I’d be game to meet up and play!

Mount Prospect native here, currently transplanted down to Peoria, Illinois for work.

MPGC is my home course, unfortunately have only played it a handful of times since the renovation. My brother actually works there and really enjoys it.

2 Likes

From #7 at Mt. Prospect. The course is not long, but the greens are tough. Also, avoiding the short side might be a good strategy.

2 Likes

Did you play recently? How were the conditions?

I’m getting out there next weekend.