Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

Either that house or the brick one next to it, so last house to the right of 3 fairway before the green. For the longest time it was two different managing structures for clubhouse and pro shop. There used to be a big wooden statue of him right next to the 10th tee.

I wish you were able to experience it when the course was in good condition (fast and firm baby), rarely anyone played weekday afternoons. It was always fun to see what the superintendent would do with the first hole. One year it got so bad from flooding he turned it into a par 3 for like 2 months to let everything grow back. We used to play with him a bit and he always said he can guarantee 17 holes with pure conditions. Pretty sure he left shortly after suggesting tree removal and fescue sections in gaps between holes, old members suck.

1. Sell the clubhouse, first hole & waterfront property, work out deal with new restaurant for a partnership.
  2. Use funds to build clubhouse south of the parking lot at the practice area. Nice sized building will fit between the practice area and 6th hole.
  3. Vacate 18th hole.
  4. Expand 10th tee to current 18th green, completely fixes that dumb hole.
  5. Expand 17th green to 18th tee box.
  6. Build two new holes in the area they’ve been clearing behind my aunt & uncle’s house.
  7. Turn 15th hole into par 5 with the teebox by 6th teebox.
  8. Remove 300 trees.
  9. Grow the fescue.
  10. Reroute the course.
    In new order: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 6th for the front 9.
    15th, 16th, 17th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and two new holes in the new area. A nice par 3 with a water feature and an uphill par 4 with the 18th green outside the clubhouse.

Just makes so much sense, right? It’s gotta be really easy, right?

EDIT: Coming off of 6th green with the clubhouse nearby, with two more holes to go. Could be a nice little hot spot down there during club events and golf leagues.

EDIT 2: I’ve gone too far.

New 17th par 3 plays 120 to 160 yards. That’s about a 12’ downhill shot with a hard tree lined slope on the right and water on the left. Stiff hole.

New 18th par 4 plays 350 to 400 yards with a 215 to 265 optional hero shot carry. Or play it safe out to the right with ample fairway.

7 Likes

one could dream. what do you think the price tag is to buy out the debt and get the old guys to sell? (for reference i think the debt is around 2 million). also i think mchenry school district wanted to take the first hole with eminent domain and somehow they stopped it?

1 Like

Buss isn’t ever getting out of the way, so the only hope is Drew Buss.

I think it was the McHenry Riverwalk Foundation that tried to get the land to continue the riverwalk to the…river. But knowing who’s behind McHenry Riverwalk Foundation and the family at MCC, it was probably just a big dick, pissing match.

1 Like

Wow this is a lot to take in, I agree with this change but I have a more radical idea

First among all things, I would like the honor of cutting down the tree in the 2nd fairway, I hate that tree. Use the wood to rebuild the Gary Adams statue.

Also, we used to play 15 from the red tee of 6 and it still plays like a par 4, 440-450 is my guess on true yardage.

Radical idea, building upon removing 300 trees, remove all trees that don’t border edge of property and make it a nine “hole” course with multiple teeing ground because I really don’t think there is enough room for 18 modern holes here.

Obviously funds is something I’m totally ignoring here but its fun to think about

2 Likes

BUMP MERCH SIGN UP FOR MUDNESS! BUY A T-SHIRT AT LEAST, SUPPORT FIRST TEE CHICAGO!

I’M NOT SCREAMING I’M JUST EXCITED!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/march-mudness-part-deux-kankakee-il-2022-march-27/42122/565?u=teddypargame

1 Like

If anyone missed and goes to Diversey… Wish they were improving the winter enclosures instead, but I’m guessing the nets are an issue they deal with and not us. As for the lights, I never had any complaints, I hope it is not to address the landing area 210+ with range balls on astroturf being dark:

Renovations at Diversey Driving Range begin on January 10th.

We are upgrading both the netting and lighting system. The facility will be closed until the project is completed, which is expected sometime in March. At some point prior to the range re-opening, the mini-golf will be re-opened. We appreciate your support of Chicago Park District Golf and patience while we make these necessary improvements to Diversey Driving Range.

3 Likes

Dang, I almost went yesterday.

I know at the Waveland event last month we talked about some 5iron golf in the future, do we want to get something on the calendar for January?

1 Like

Interested! Gotta pop my 5iron cherry this year

4 Likes

On that same note, for all the western burb guis - anyone interested in a indoor meetup?

@Awol would Naperville Golf house allow us to “rent” or reserve the place for 2 hours or something like that?

3 Likes

If not there’s a cool spot across from Naperville CC, don’t recall the name but have been there on saturday afternoons and it’s empty. Added bonus Angelini’s is right next door and one of the best italian joints in town.

2 Likes

I’ve seen that place, and Angeli’s is superb as well. @HackMarkham can do some scouting for us.

There’s also this place below on 63rd

2 Likes

Reporting for duty.

1 Like

Been here before?

https://www.score18indoorgolf.com/

Edit, booked a sim for 12pm-1pm tomorrow. If anyone would like to join, give em a call and add yourself to the reservation under Ryan.

I’ve been meaning to go in there but it feels like more of a group atmosphere. Then again I may be banned from the Naperville Golf House if I hit my '06 Callaway Fusion in there more than once a month lol.

4 Likes

Anyone in the NW burbs open to doing some simulated golf? I am in Cary/ Crystal Lake area and there are quite a few options.

Last time I went I called the number on the website. Pretty sure it’s just the cellphone of the guy who owns the joint. We waited for him to show up and unlock, he set us up, let us bang balls for a couple hours. I think it was $40 an hour, but when he saw me pull out cash he charged us $75 total.

Yep, spoke with Larry who is the owner. Should be an interesting experience.

1 Like

Also, if anyone is looking to scratch the itch outdoors there’s still plenty of room left in the Des Plaines Chili Open.

https://register.desplainesparks.org/wbwsc/webtrac.wsc/search.html?Action=Start&SubAction=&quantity=1&begindate=01%2F01%2F2022&enddate=01%2F31%2F2022&keyword=Chili+Open&keywordoption=Match+One&secondarycode=&display=Detail&module=PST&multiselectlist_value=&pstwebsearch_buttonsearch=yes

@McDuffin myself, and a few other sickos will be going off in the 3pm wave.

Mistwood Golf Dome is a pretty good spot, too. TopTracer bays with a ton of courses to choose from, and you get to see 80 yards or so of your ball flight which is nice. Putting is replaced by short wedge shots to determine birdie/par/bogey which has been my favorite version of simulator “putting” so far.

3 Likes