Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 1)

You would think it was…just that was on the fly lol

I’m a nerd if you haven’t guessed.

There was some sort of secure convoy on 294 heading south the morning of the OF event. They had three dump trucks driving simultaneously at 55-60 mph with someone important driving in front of them, and had every on ramp onto 294 blocked until the convoy was passed them. I waited for 10 minutes on 90 before i could get onto 294 and then two other times when google maps re-routed me toward OF try to avoid the convoy. Cost me a chance to warm up on the range before the round, (and probably an entry into the NIT!) Maybe it was JB or number 44? Either way it sucked.

1 Like

i should probably get out to Harborside at some point, huh?

2 Likes

It really is a cool place.

2 Likes

I HATE the anchor hole. Might be one of the worst par 3s i’ve ever played

8 Likes

And a STRONG first post haha

Welcome to the Refuge, whatcha doin’ on the 7th?

3 Likes

I may be prone to hyperbole, but that hole just doesn’t make any sense to me lol. And thanks! Unfortunately I am starting a quarantine that day for a friend’s wedding the following week otherwise i would definitely consider heading up to the shores

2 Likes

Family trip round next week, we’ve played none - Shepherd’s Crook, Spring Valley or Blackstone? (Travel times are worse for half the 4some wherever we land)

We all can walk but would cart if required. Is one a no go for fall golf or one better in summer (relative to the other 2, November is not prime for anywhere in IL)?

TLDR: Tell me where to book in this climate - Shep Crook, Spring Val, Blackstone?

1 Like

Haven’t played Blackstone, but I’m pretty sure it’s the hardest of the three (fun for gamers, not so fun for high handicappers)

Shepherds Crook is a blast. Inland “links” feel with loads of room, big greens, and some really fun golf holes.

Spring Valley is the easiest of the three, really good GCA bones (Langford and Moreau) but not nearly as well conditioned compared to the first two.

I would go SC 1, Blackstone 2, SV 3.

1 Like

If you’re not afraid to drive…Hawks View is a favorite of mine. Plays on an old ski hill, loads of fun elevation change but forgiving enough to score well on. Also has a DELIGHTFUL 18 hole par 3 course.

Thunderhawk in Zion (next to Shepherds Crook) is also loads of fun, and plays through a natural wetland and forest preserve. Very fun back 9 too.

4 Likes

Thunderhawk is not an easy course, but definitely an amazing spot.

5 Likes

Played a few weeks ago at the crook and was still in great shape. They also punched about a month ago so no worries about aeration.

I love thunder hawk but not the best course for walking.

2 Likes

These are so excellent I need to give a heads up… we called Thunderhawk first and closed (maybe for season), and done Hawks View a few times so looking for a new spot near the border.

Thanks all!

1 Like

Only played TH once but I didn’t think it was a bad walk. Green-to-tee walks were reasonable and it’s not terribly hilly (although I’m not a native Illinosianerite/flatlander so I might be a bit more accustomed to walking hilly courses). Good course, but definitely wouldn’t bring non-golfers out there. A lot of trouble and frustration lurking.

As the resident Shepherd’s Crook acolyte, I would definitely recommend it for a family day. I play their quite frequently my wife, ~20 cap, and she finds it very playable. The front tees play about 4,800 (my big gripe is there’s huge gap between the 2ups and forward tees, 6,900/6,300/6,000/4,800, need something between 6,000 and 4,800). As said before, it’s really walkable, prairie-style, wide open, not much OB/water/trees in play, but still reasonably challenging for better players. Haven’t played it in the fall, but it was much firmer than a lot of courses I played in the spring. Seems to drain really well. And I’d imagine the native grasses are down quite a bit too.

2 Likes

Spring Valley is probably the best idea considering the price, it will be around $20 walking and an extremely cool course, played it over the summer with 3 others, easy walk and its probably only $25 to get a cart.

Not sure what rates are right now for Blackstone but I have always thought they were overpriced for being in Marengo. I play in an amateur event there every year and it is always in great shape, can’t imagine it would be poor right now.

I’ve heard good things about Shepard’s Crook but I have never played there.

2 Likes

This might be LCP, from my limited experience. A group of us go and play at least once a year and the higher handicap folks don’t generally agree with your statement.

3 Likes

Since we’re on the topic of nicer local courses - is there any public or semi-private courses within 45min of downtown that offers a fair season pass? I’m considering Cog Hill for 2021, but I know that pushes $4k or even $5k. Wilmette and Glenview Park also seem to have decent options. I wish The Preserve had something. Any ideas?

Biggest TH review for players not in the 7-14 HCP range like I am comes from a buddy whos low 20’s HCP:

“Play the Silver Tees to take all the stupid carries out, and this course makes a lot more sense.”

I couldn’t agree more with you there. As a gui in the 0-2 range, playing with other guis who are in the +5-3 range, we play the blacks or the brass (?), depending on conditions. But when the group expanded to include the 12-20 folks, things needed to be changed up a little. We did move them up to the 2 ups and they were okay, though probably would have been better served to have seen the course at least once, as well.

1 Like

If I were you, these are places I’d check:

Sportsman’s (especially after the renovation)
Mt Prospect
Schaumburg (especially after the renovation…it’s really good)
Village Links of Glen Ellyn

Only reason I’m out on Sunset Valley is because they don’t have a range

1 Like