What's The Mt. Rushmore of Golf in Your State?

got it, thanks I didn’t know that! My HS team got to practice at his club and he was there a good amount of time. He gave me the best bunker lesson I still hold true to today.

I once found my way into his 4th of July party one summer at his farm south of KC…VERY fun time.

Went to Pembroke in KCMO. Won two Missouri State High School Individual Titles. Only Missourian to do that.

Yup, knew he went to Pembroke, just thought he grew up in Mission Hills.

Yeah he’s a member at Fieldstone in Greenville, DE too (same club as Joe Biden) - guess that just leaves Delaware w Ed Oliver haha

@Lazstradamus while it’s technically not Mt. Rushmore szn I’ll allow an exception. Texas top 4 in no particular order are:

Babe Zaharias
Byron Nelson
Ben Hogan
Jordan Spieth

Honorable Mentions: Jackie Burke, Dick Harmon, Ben Crenshaw, Justin Leonard (although he’s defected for Colorado), Stacey Lewis for her Hurricane Harvey relief work, and if we’re counting college allegiance I’ll go ahead and grab Nantz & Couples (they were roommates, ppl forget that) and Colin Montgomerie (Houston Baptist University)

After further consideration and review of responses above, I’m strongly considering #ejecting Henry Cotton for Henry Colt.

Colorado:

Craig Stadler
David Duval
Kevin Stadler
Wyndham Clark (hasn’t done anything yet on Tour but I know he will having played junior golf against him and constantly feeling like trash compared to him)

Minnesota is slim, and definitely has some caveats.

Tom Lehman
Lumpy Herron
Lee Janzen (born in Minnesota)
Mac O’ Grady (born in Minnesota)

Honorable Mention; Y.E. Yang, who beat Tiger at Hazeltine, and probably should have just moved here, because I can’t recall anything else he’s ever done.

Amazed/not amazed you left off Trevino.

He’s insufferable to listen to on interviews now.

Maryland is very slim:

• Fred Funk
  • Billy Hurley (born in VA but went to Navy, lives in Annapolis now)
    After that there’s not much. Two more to stretch it to four:
  • Denny McCarthy? Only 24 and playing his first year on tour but had the best junior / am career of anyone who has ever came out of MD. Will most likely be a very good tour player.
  • Mark Carnevale? Born in Annapolis and won on tour.

@MrCutHook, you left off Patty Berg, Les Bolstad, John Harris, Crhis Perry. Lee Janzen and Mac just don’t belong there.

Massholes:

Francis Ouimet
Pat Bradley
Herbert Warren Wind
Jay Monahan? Keegan Bradley? jeez, slim pickings here.

I’d throw Wally Uihlein in the mix for Massachusetts

Good call. Beats Mark Wahlberg, at least.

Didn’t realize Chamblee was from STL. I’d bump him and the others off the list for Ellen Port… Combined 7 USGA National Championships across Mid/Sr Women’s AM. Agree with Watson, Irwin & Stewart.

You have to at least START with Walter Hagen to give Michigan some credibility, right? Kind of remarkable the lack of talent from a state that has such amazing golf…albeit a short season.

I would also throw in Rick Smith with the likes of Doak and DeVries.

Montana:

My Golf League Team.

Since I cannot think of anyone golf related. Other than Jack Nicklaus that designed Old Works (Anaconda, MT), Tom Weiskopf that designed Black Bull (Bozeman, MT) and the Spanish Peaks Mountain Club (Big Sky, MT) and Steve Jones who resided in Bozeman, MT for a while.

This brought me down the google rabbit hole:

Alice Ritzman - played on the LPGA from 1978-98. Earned more than $1 million on LPGA. At the time of the article I found (1999), she had won the 2nd most by a person who had never won a tourney.

Leslie Spalding - Played on the LPGA from 1996-2005. Current San Diego State Women’s Golf head coach.

Side Note - you all should check out Old Works. They have black sand bunkers made from the slag which is a by product of the copper smelting process.

http://www.oldworks.org/History_ef2c0c3a1b04.html

Scotland:
James Braid
Old Tom
Monty
Young Tom

Guess my sexism kicked in and I ignored the women… Agree with that substitution.