Whatcha Reading?

Written by Game of Thrones show runner David Benioff! (Take that for what you will.)

EDIT: Oh shit I see you mentioned that and now I am a stupid.

1 Like

not that i expect anyone to track it - but basically what i’ve posted in here haha.

mostly non-fiction: lots of history, business non-fiction, bios, deep dives into narrow subject matter (sugar industry, banana industry, event synopsis, space launches, shipwreck diving, fraud/scandal etc).

fiction wise - big fan of richard price. hemingway. george higgins.

1 Like

I was unaware there was a book club thread.

Big non-fiction fan too. Here are some favorites from the past few years.

Private Empire–way over 250+, but based on your interests, a good one to pickup…

Another long one, but an all-time favorite is Hell in a Very Small Place

Evicted is an amazing deep-dive too

Might be a bit more than 250, don’t have the book in front of me, but St. Lucy’s Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell is a great collection of short stories.

I recently picked it back up after reading it a few years ago and still enjoyed the unique stories. Kind of a wide mix of fantasy/fiction/coming of age elements in interesting settings. Most of the stories are ~40 pages so might quench your thirst for a lighter read, although the material can be more emotionally dense and serious than you might expect. I enjoyed it a lot.

ya - check it out here! We’re reading The Good Soldier right now but will be picking another one soon!

I read it years ago. It was pretty terrifying

Just started Lincoln at the Bardo by George Saunders. I love it so far. Just conceptually it’s different than just about anything you’ll read, and once I got used to the format, really engaging and funny. Will circle back with more thoughts once I finish.

3 Likes

Been tapping into my southern noir and N.C. based works. Have a lot of Ron Rash, David Joy, Wiley Cash and Daniel Woodrell on deck. Also hope to get into a short story anthology by Thomas McGuane.

Met George Saunders (#flex) several times as he’s a writer in residence at Syracuse…good dude. Pretty good writer too.

I just finished Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons and holy crap I feel enlightened.

4 Likes

For people interested, we picked Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald for our next book club pick.

4 Likes

I think you mean “The Mandibles” by Lionel Shriver, but yes, @clarkebar, highly reco’d

1 Like

Yeah, what you said

Agreed, Saunders is great. Though I merely liked Lincoln but really loved his’ Tenth of December short stories.

2 Likes

Starting The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks today. Hopefully can get it done while I wait for Austerlitz to arrive.

1 Like

Just found this thread! I have finished four books so far in this quarantine time, even though I hate being cooped up like this it has given me time to get through some books:

All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque: Had not read this one before, incredible insight into the mentality of the WWI soldier. I found it extremely hard to read at points but invariably funny at others. Finished it within 2-3 days, would definitely recommend.

A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles: Perfect quarantine read, I have been getting more into Russian novels which prepared me well for the numerous references as well as historical context. Just a fun read with great characters and not too intense in terms of length and depth of meaning. Just ordered Towles’ other book Rules of Civility which will be my next read.

The Buried Giant, Kazuo Ishiguro: I am a huge fan of Ishiguro’s work, especially Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go, and The Unconsoled. I admit I grabbed this one off of the shelf before leaving my small apartment for quarantine when this all started and expected something extremely different. This is unlike any of his works that I have read. I have never been extremely interested in strict fantasy novels, but this one did grab my attention and, as is typical for Ishiguro, his characters brought me into the story quickly. It was a fun and exciting read, nothing groundbreaking from my point of view, but would recommend to people who are interested in that genre.

East of Eden, John Steinbeck: Wow, what a novel. A sprawling epic which I am still thinking about to this day. I honestly cant say that I enjoyed all of it, it is too long in some areas and, in my opinion, many of the characters are too one dimensional or predictable. However, the last 100 pages were as good as it gets for me. May read it again just to try to soak in what I couldnt the first time around. Very interested to see what other people thought about this one.

Currently reading A Sportsman’s Notebook by Turgenev. Loved Fathers and Sons so picked this one up as well. Short stories have never been my cup of tea, but so far I am enjoying it.

Finished the Overstory a while ago (not too active on here). Loved it. Have to admit had i not received it as a gift, there’s no way i pick it up. Even starting it was very skeptical. I thought it left a great impression without being overly preachy. Does a great job lending credence to the more “out there” radical environmental views.

1 Like

Anyone else read “This is How You Lose the Time War” ? A little scifi novella I just finished. Would definitely recommend if you’re looking for something quick.

Oddly, I loved Rules of Civility and couldn’t finish Gentleman in Moscow.