What was your favorite course you played in 2017 and why?

Dunes course at Diamanté in Cabo. DL III, top 50. Excellent driving range with breakfast or lunch sliders cooked to order, smoothies (pick your fruits) and ProV range balls. “Comfort stations” with great food, snacks and beverages service twice on each side. All included.

North Berwick on the coast near Edinburgh.
One of the oldest in Scotland with stone walls that serpentine throughout. Just a fantastic example of true links golf.

For big fun and great views look at Gamble Sands in north central Washington. David McLay Kidd classic links design. Cheaper and less remote from major airport (Seattle) than Bandon, but only one track on site. Others nearby.

Walt
Seattle

Best course I played in 2017 has to be Greywolf in Panorama, BC. One of , if not the best, mountain course I have played in Western Canada. Greywolf has incredible views, a great setup and was in tip top shape when we played in July. If you are in the area it is a must visit if only for the Par 3 6th affectionately dubbed The Cliffhanger. Combine it with great courses close by like Copper Point and Eagle Ranch, it’s a great golf vacation destination.

Three way tie:
Old White at the Greenbrier
Dallas National
Whispering Pines in Trinity, Texas.

Played Streamsong Blue and was blown away. The different shots you could hit were so much fun. Might be one of the best first tee shots in all of golf.

Honorable mention: Grove park inn in Asheville, NC. Way too expensive but me and a buddy walked 27 and had a blast. Ross design that could use a little restoration but they’ve kept it pretty solid. I think its around 6300 yards from the tips and it is all you can handle. A bit of a hilly walk but we had push carts.

Chambers Bay. Went into the round a little apprehensive about the place after it was torched by everyone during the US Open (see Gary Player) Left completely blown away by it. The scenery was top tier, but each hole was just fun to play. I think it is criminally underrated.

This course is on my bucket list. Grew up 30 min north of here and haven’t been able to play it. It’s amazing how many die hard golfers in the area have never heard of it since it’s so low key.

Favorite course(s) of 2017 was Sand Valley / Mammoth Dunes. Sand Valley is a ton of fun and very score-able. The courses are already in great shape. The lodging is 5 star, but not over the top: Wisconsin Chic. New clubhouse has a full restaurant/bar priced as you would expect for a high end golf resort. However, the turn stand Craigs Porch at Sand Valley has Masters style pricing. Domestic beers $2, $1.50 tacos, $3 sandwiches prepared on site. Really cool touch. The last time we were there we went up to Craigs Porch for breakfast a few hours before our round. The view is great and you can watch groups tee off on 1 and 10. I bought my buddy and my breakfast: Two Egg, Sausage and cheese croissants, two fully loaded bloody marys & two New Glaurus Moon Man (Wisco Beer). My total : $14.50. As good as Sand Valley is, it’s looking like Mammoth is going to be even better. Excited to see what the full 18 looks like as i’ve only done the 9 hole preview. IMG_0452IMG_1657IMG_1500

Take a look at Rancho Manana Golf Club. Very reasonable prices and a lovely layout. Also has some stunning views.

Sand valley in Wisconsin. Can’t wait to get back this year to try mammoth dunes.

Had the tremendous opportunity to play Scioto CC (Jack’s home) on a random afternoon. Everything about the place was pure. Staff was super accommodating and took as around the clubhouse, which was basically a Nicklaus museum. Easy to see how Jack learned to hit a lot of high cuts at this place. Great parkland golf in perfect condition.

Honorable mentions: Nemacolin CC (not the resort course). Middle of nowhere an hour east of Pittsburgh. Really fun small private track (1935 Tillinghast re-design). Super slick greens.
Ohio State Scarlet Course is on here too…looks rather straightforward, but the MacKenzie greens and bunkering were brutally hard.

Side note: My dad also got to play Latrobe CC this year…hitting both Jack’s and Mr. Palmer’s home courses is pretty special.

Hard to beat Victory Ranch in Park City, Utah. Best view from a par 3 I’ve ever seen (from the 17th hole pictured.)

Found time to play Chambers Bay before heading to a bachelor party in Vancouver…hands down my favorite round of 2017 (followed closely by Lawsonia)

Same here! Played over Labor Day, and I absolutely fell in love with the place…
Will be back to Seattle for a buddy’s trip sooner rather than later

I had a good year over all in 2017 (Pinehurst, Bandon, Erin Hills, Blue Jack, bunch of old Private clubs in the northeast, etc.), but there were two that were two “hidden gems” (top 100 courses, but not often mentioned) that were great surprises to me. Maybe not my favorites over all, but given expectations, ended up being my favorite days

1. Wannamoisett in RI - Old Donald Ross course in the heart of a town in Rhode Island. Very compact course at a Par 69, but just a great parkland layout. Series of very long par 4’s, but it did not feel repetitive at all. Cool surprise was walking into the clubhouse where they have pictures of all of the winners of the Northeast Amateur which is held there ever year and seeing a tremendous list of champs (DJ, Peter Uihelien, Ben Crenshaw, etc.)

2. Milwakuee Country Club - Got to play here before heading out to Erin Hills. What a joy of a course. I believe Colt / Allison design. With all of the great public options in Wisconsin that people fly through Milwaukee for, I can’t recommend this course enough - if you can find a way on before heading to Kohler, Erin Hills, or Sand Valley do it

For me in 2017 it was Yale - I was totally blown away by how much a course layout enhances an experience.

And while not 2017, I this past weekend played Rustic Canyon outside of LA, and in a similar vein it was a course that made you think about every shot. Rewarding good shots and truly punishing the bad ones!

Calusa Pines in Naples, FL. Different identity compared to most Florida tracks and the isolation you feel while out there is difficult to describe.

What was the way on Yale? I know it’s somewhat accessible even if you’re not a student/alumni, etc.

I played at an outing to begin with and then as a guest of an alumnus, but during the less busy times of the season (particularly when School is out) you can call and they will more likely than not give you a tee time.

Also they allow people to buy a “membership” that gives you a certain number of rounds a year for a set fee, which is open to anyone.

Dumbest decision of my life was to turn down a round here. Someone couldn’t make it and so i was asked to play but i had some kind of stupid meeting at work so I declined. Regret that decision to this day.

Hopefully you get another shot, the place is incredible.