What was your favorite course you played in 2017 and why?

Mine has to be The Harvester Golf Club outside of Des Moines. Firm and fast conditions and very playable. #pureiowa

Harvester%20-%201Harvester%20-%202Harvester%20-%203

That’s a dream day right there.

this is one of my favorite tracks in the midwest

lived in kansas for 20 years - my top bucket list for sure.

Such a great track. Did a full tour of it on my site. Just an awesome place. Greens were great, interesting holes. We got to play 36 and the wind picked up for the second 18, which we played from the tips. For this short hitter it was brutal but fun. On the par 5 up the hill (I forget the number), wind was howling into us. I hit driver, 3W, 3W, 7i. Such a fun day.

Shadow Creek was my top for 2017, with an honorable mention for the Harvester. Amazing that they can build something like this in Vegas. Great golf and also an experience. We played as a twosome and when my buddy asked if we were paired up for the round the response in the clubhouse was, “Sir, we never pair golfers up at Shadow Creek.”

Bethpage Black. Played from the back tee box on every hole, regardless of where the markers were.

First group off in the morning.Finished about an hour ahead of the next group.

I was very fortunate to play Merion East last year, and also Pinehurst #2 for the first time. I’d like to play them both a handful more times (in my dreams!), but with a single play I’d have to give the nod to #2. The whole sandhills area has a special feel to it, and everything about #2 felt like golf as it was meant to be played. The width and angles in play on every single hole, and the variety of options around the greens. It was just such a special experience. It beat the crap out of me, yet still all I wanted to do was walk right back to the first tee and do it again. I can’t wait to get back and play it for a second time some day.

That’s a tough call. 2017 was a good year. i played Sleepy Hollow, Winged Foot West, Hazeltine, Interlachen, Kiawah’s Ocean Course and Pinehurst #2 ( a couple times). Family goes to Pinehurst and Kiawah every year on vacation. Sleepy I get to play every year in a business offsite. Hazeltine has the prestige of the majors and the Ryder Cup, but Interlachen was just phenomenal. Great Donald Ross course. Sleepy, I think is underrated. Man, I don’t know…something about #2 no matter how many times you play it. Special place. I could play that every day.

Top of the List…

• Royal County Down…the first 11 holes felt like a dream. And the rest aren’t too shabby either. It’s always fun to get to a tee box, look out at a hole, and have a “holy shit” moment. At RCD I felt like I had about 10 of those. And it plays as well as it looks.
  • Royal Dornoch…master class in golf course architecture. It’s like Pinehurst #2 but firmer, faster, and on the water in Scotland. Just wish it was more accessible and the town was more fun.

Honorable Mention…

• Royal Portrush…if I was deciding between membership at RCD and RP (like that’s an actual option…), I would probably pick RP. Just feel like I could play that course every single day. Pints at Harbour Bar certainly don’t hurt.
  • Old Course…got to play it twice (once in benign conditions and once in sideways rain) which you probably need to do to appreciate it. The first go around I was underwhelmed until I got to 16. Playing back into town feels like you’re inside the ropes of a tour event. No cooler feeling. Started to really appreciate the course the second go around though. Currently in the process to join the New Club as an overseas member. So hopefully many more.

Others…Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, Castle Stuart, Portmarnock, Kiawah Ocean, Winged Foot (both), Oak Hill (both)

That Par 5 on the back (believe it is 15) is such a beast from the back tees. No surprise you hit driver, 3w, 3w and still had some left.

Based on your tag, imagine you are a KC local? What course do you play at in the area? I am local to KC and play up in Parkville.

Ironhorse is managed by Troon and they do a great job
Sycamore Ridge is probably the best public in S KC
Shoal Creek up north is excellent as well as Staley Farms and Tiffany

St Andrews is a decent muni in johnson county

how long have you lived in KC?

I’ve lived in KC for the last three years. Member up at the National Golf Club II.

Sycamore is a great public track but quite the haul from my home in downtown. Need to get out to Shoal Creek again soon.

Do you play in the KC cup?

has to be crystal downs. not a forgettable hole on the property. the entire round comes together incredibly and the course is so pure. #5 is an absolute gem. super quaint pro shop and no monstrosity of a clubhouse. it is what is it because of the golf course alone and the members love it that way

Tobacco Road in North Carolina. Went in absolutely terrified based of what I’d shoot because of the pictures I’d seen in the past. Ended up shooting 75 with a couple birdies. That’s what I love about it; most shots are extremely daunting visually, but it’s actually very playable and unless you go wildly off line, you can post a good number. I had a ton of fun there. I know lots of people knock TR because of supposedly “goofy” architecture and it not being “real golf”, but I loved it. Two days later I played Pinehurst No. 2 and still held Tobacco Road in higher regard.

Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken, SC. Oldest course in the country (1892). I’m always in awe when I get a chance to go play it.

Has a history that you have to read to believe and Bobby Jones once said "number 7 was the best medal play par 3 he ever played.”

Royal Melbourne West. Pretty wide open off the tee but almost every shot has so much strategic value that it rewards approaches from the correct angle and makes others so much harder

Bethpage Black, hands down. It was a beautiful course that is impeccably maintained, and was challenging without being cheap about it. I found that if I drove it straight off the tee(which amazingly I did) the course rewards you fairly, but really punishes you with tough rough if you don’t. A fair test of your game for sure.

i’ve not played KC cup. i’m a 10 handicap and i’ve got three kids so it makes it tough to work on my game. i played the most golf in 15 years last summer and was playing really well at the end of the season. if i’m not traveling for work i’ll gladly get in a round anytime. shoot me a connection on twitter @dougseaberg