What was your favorite course you played in 2017 and why?

Merion East. Think it speaks for itself. The whole experience was unreal. Walking in the footsteps of legends

Forest Dunes. Not the loop, but the Dunes course. Thought it was better than Arcadia Bluffs. The front 9 played through a national forest, and the back 9 was set into the dunes. Plenty of width and angles with some really awesome holes. Two great short par 4s and a punchbowl-ish par 5 made for a really fun round.

Did you go to The Refuge after MPCC?

Royal St George’s last April while visiting London
You’re there in like 90 Minutes from downtown
The caddies made that day incredible

I played Sweeten’s Cove in September and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. I could spend a whole day out there without even keeping score and have a perfect day.

Mine was a toss up between Sand Hills and National Golf Links of America. Sand Hills got the nod though because I shot my career round there. Super cool, low-key vibe. It’s all about the golf, which did not disappoint. The epitome of minimalism (including the accommodations!) Got lucky and played in relatively calm wind conditions. Hoping I get an invite back some day!

Nags Head Golf Links (Outerbanks, NC) for no other reason than the 18th provided an opportunity to play a narrow 600 yard par 5 into a 30+ mph sustained headwind, with the sound protecting each inch along the right. Spoiler alert: didn’t go well scoring-wise, but tapping in for 11 beneath the fading coastal sun was a revelation. The rest of the course (strangely, a member of the same corporate links as Firestone) was completely forgettable.

Looks a lot better than when I played it back in 2016.

The Reserve At Moonlight Basin located in Big Sky, Montana. Designed by the man himself, Jack Nicklaus. The course is out in the middle of nowhere - no houses in sight - just golf course and nature. Lot’s of fun to play and a very easy to remember golf course. Plus they have the coolest tee-markers I’ve seen - they’re real deer sheds apparently.

uh I guess of courses I had never played before Lincoln Park in the City, it’s a rel unique experience & it was foggy as hell which I enjoyed very much, you couldn’t even see the Golden Gate out on 17 because it was so foggy, I played Torrey Pines South on Black Friday if we go by name brand too

Favorite was Sankaty Head in Nantucket Massachusetts. Course was unreal with gorgeous #views, especially of the lighthouse

The head ball coach Bill Belichick is a member there too

Best finishing stretch in the world.

Hey all - first time poster from the UK … saw this topic and just had to say : Sunningdale (Old Course) - the overall condition of the course from the greens to bunkers to fairways to tee boxes was simply the best I’ve ever experienced . I can remember each hole vividly despite playing only once and over 6 months ago … proper carries required for each tee shot, dog-legs in both directions, uphill / downhill lies but nothing too harsh (unless you’re in the gorse !) - a genuine test . Add to that the halfway hut , the clubhouse , tradition and history of the place … take me back !!

Pine Valley. This probably won’t endear me to anyone, but I got to play Oakmont, Merion and Pine Valley over a 4 day stretch. I’m not a guy that has played a whole bunch of nice courses or sought out elite courses; I just got lucky. My father n law is from PA and had a bunch of people back there that made it work.

They were all awesome. Oakmont was incredible,laid out over a gorgeous setting, but stupid hard and I was outta my league. Meant for US Opens, not me. Merion was awesome in that its very playable and in an awesome/beautiful neighborhood of Philly and the final holes are really cool. But Pine Valley took the cake for a few reasons: The grounds are hidden away in a huge forest. Every hole is SO unique and you cant see the other holes, every hole is so incredibly different, and the best part is all the blind tee shots in which you hit to a huge, slightly uphill fairway but you have no idea what the rest of the hole is going to look like. It’s a surprise that reveals itself once you get up and into the fairway. And they are all different. The fairways are big too. To my surprise, it was a very playable course.

Honorable mention:

• Sea Island (Seaside). Really cool course on the ocean. Super nice place.
  • Capital City Crabapple (Atlanta). Played it a week before the US Mid-Am. Really nice place in tiptop shape.
  • Athens Country Club (Athens, GA) - went in with no expectations. Old school Donald Ross course with rolling layout (ala Augusta) and really cool greens that slope off in difference directions.

Agree. Original course at FD #fuqs. Only played it once, on a windy, damp day and it was a beast!

Call me crazy, but my favorite was Chamber’s Bay. Yeah, they are still overhauling the greens, but I knew that going in. Lots of variety of shots and multiple ways to approach each hole.

Honorable mention: Streamsong Black

Favorite course would be TPC Sawgrass. I’ve been going to Jacksonville for work a few times a year since 2015 and finally was able to work it in. I had been out at the facility a bunch (I love it) but hadn’t been able to play the Stadium. Favorite part of the day was when one of the guys my friend and I got paired with announced on the 16th tee box we were now paying about $150 a hole…which pretty truthful.

Favorite destination in 2017 was 4 days at Pinehurst…that was a lot of fun.

The course that surprised me by how much I liked it was Harbour Town.

Tie between two courses:

1. Sundance Golf Course @ A-Ga-Ming Resort in Kewadin, MI. Really fun track, much different than anything else in the mitten state.

2. Arcadia Bluffs in Arcadia, MI. Right along the shores of Lake Michigan. Very challenging when the wind blows, amazing scenery.

Heading to Scottsdale in April. Playing TPC Stadium, and both Wekopa courses, still deciding on our 4th round.
Can’t wait.

The Ocean Course on Kiawah was tops on my list. I liked how PD routed the course so that the wind affected you differently on most holes. I also exclaimed, “Pete Dye is a dick,” no less than 12 times.

Honorable Mention: Bethpage Black (could be #1 if we didn’t have awful weather), The Loop, Forest Dunes.