West Virginia Roll Call

From Keyser, and enjoy mostly eastern panhandle courses and Maryland ones as well. Favorite places I have played are Canaan, Fisher Mountain, The Pines, and a nine hole course in Keyser called Polish Pines.

2 Likes

Fore Sisters In Rawlings use to be really good but they have really let it go in recent years.

Has anyone played the Palmer course at Stonewalled Resort?

@JedPowPow what year were you at Winfield? Legitimately never expected to come across another Winfield native on the Refuge but glad you started the WV roll call thread.

My two WV rounds were at Twisted Gun in Mingo County on Labor Day 2019. I was on a road trip from the East Coast to Gethsemani Abbey up to Indiana and back east before relocating back to Scotland after 14 years. First time with consecutive sub-80 rounds. No idea if I’ll ever make it back but I loved that day.

For those in the southern portion of WV, please note that this is happening…

Signups are now live, and we aren’t going to let a little thing like the Wheeling Conventions stand in the way of counting you among our Virginia brothers (and sisters) for the purposes of this event.

@country35 - tagged for visibility

3 Likes

Hello all,
I’m headed down to Pinehurst from Michigan and looking for a good place to play near Charleston. Doesn’t have to be anything totally special. My Dad and I are just trying to find a good pit stop!
Thanks.

I haven’t played in Charleston but I’d recommend one of the courses at Glade Springs in Beckley. It’s about an hour from Charleston but it should be along your route to Pinehurst. They have three courses - Cobb, Stonehaven and Woodhaven. Woodhaven is pretty brutal the first time you play it, a lot of blind shots. I haven’t played Cobb but Stonehaven is great. They also have a hotel right there.

Will be in Charles Town/ Jefferson County up in the Pan handle this week for work. Any recommendations for best tracks in this area?

Someone talk to me about Glade Springs. Looking to do a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday there in October. I live in KY and its about a 3.5 hour drive. Prices and courses look good and within the budget for the four guys wanting to go.

Plenty of spots available for NLU event in Roanoke VA saturday at 1:30 is anyone WV guise have interest

Come over the mountain for some fall golf!

1 Like

Heres the link to the event thread for those of you interested in coming out to Match Play Atop the Hill

Good morning WV golfers/refugees, I got a father son group of 4 we are planning for Glade Springs this June and we will stay at the Inn there.

What yall think of this below course order/plan?
+Travel/Drive Thur night, Sun afternoon
+Round 1: Fri Mid AM Cobb
+Round 2: Sat Mid AM Woodhaven
+Round 3: Sun Early AM Stonehaven

Any comments/recs are welcome since only 1 of us has been to GS. Any good 9 hole adders in area or recommend replay 9s? I didn’t see much around outside glade springs. Cheers!

1 Like

1 spot left, very near 77, right off 81. 11:27 is the tee time for the spot.

Traveling up to Lansing, WV for a buddy’s 40th Birthday. Driving up from North Carolina on Friday, June 30th and was looking to find a good course to play. Ideally, something close enough to I-77 that I can make the round part of my drive up. Was thinking maybe something around Beckley but am open to suggestions.

I’ve been to WV a few times, but never for golf. This weekend isn’t for golf either, but if I’m going to drive up there, I’m throwing the clubs in the truck and making sure I get in at least one round. Would love some recommendations from the Nest Members in WV.

1 Like

now much WV action on here, I’m about 45 mins the state line. How much you looking to spend?

1 Like

Check out Glade Springs, it is very adjacent to Beckley.

There are 3 courses there: Cobb (traditional , large greens), Stonehaven (more scenic and more elevation changes; fun course), and Woodhaven (I’ve only played it once and it wasn’t my favorite; more of target golf.)

Sometimes you can get some discounted rates on Golf now.

4 Likes

Don’t mind spending $100 or so for this round since it’ll be my only one. Will spend more too for a good course

1 Like

I was looking at those so good to know. Thank you

1 Like