Welcome to the Refuge. It's not Reddit

You are my loudmouth friend and I admire the shit out of you. I will also bust your ass. Not afraid. Let’s roll.

4 Likes

3 Likes

ok cool.

i have no control over how my shitty government leaders handle pandemics. Muny opens August 8.

I’ll be waiting…

13 Likes

The Refuge is wild lately y’all

10 Likes

Serious question. Please don’t destroy me.

Having not spent much time on any other social media platform, I don’t understand the fear of doxxing.

Why is it wrong, what’s the fear, why is it bad?

Pleas explain to me like a 5th grader?

2 Likes

Let’s say you are a lawyer in a firm in Jacksonville. You spend a lot of time curating an online persona and you cover golf takes and Arkansas football. You’ve amassed some 9,000 followers, you like to poke fun at the NLU gang, you feed your creative side with great memes photoshops etc etc etc.

The last thing you want or need is any client, work colleagues or neighbors to hear about the joy you get (and give others) from your accounts. Employers might ask “where does he find the time?” Clients might think “if he really believe Nick Faldo is a fascist, I’m going elsewhere.” And neighbors might just be like “I knew it.”

Anonymity matters in a real, REAL way to many people. Gotta respect that.

49 Likes

Some people get so offended by online arguments that they think it’s a good idea to call people’s jobs, wives, clubs, etc. to make scandalous or offensive claims about them. These kinds of things have even happened here. In other places online, people engage in “SWATTING,” in which they make false 911 calls and try to get armed government agents to raid people’s homes.

So, some prefer to keep their real names off the internet as much as possible.

21 Likes

Well said THEODORE KAZINSKI.

12 Likes

Both make sense. I understand and can uphold that.

For the sake of further education and to have this publicly documented, will you allow me to probe a little further in a non confrontational way?

1 Like

Also read: Refuge Wine Society thread :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Can this be pinned? Or like mandatory reading?

3 Likes

So, I never got permission to ask a follow up but that never stopped anyone.

What would you say to the guise that would say:

Your club,wife,employer, etc should know you better than some online twit and know your personality enough to believe/not believe some crazy person.

And why the need for a double life? if you have to hide a part of yourself from someone why is that other people’s responsibility to uphold?

2 Likes

I would say, you are free to live your life the way that you choose, and you should do your best to respect or ignore the way others wish to live theirs.

(Your wife, boss, club don’t need to BELIEVE the lunatic that calls them to tell lies about you; it sometimes is enough that such a person is even calling.)

3 Likes

So just Don’t be a scumbag?

4 Likes

Buy me dinner first?

10 Likes

That makes sense and is reasonable. How does this sentiment jive with “shit stirring” the proverbial life blood of this place?

Do not respect or ignore anyone who uses iron covers, that must be stopped, but do uphold others double secret lives for them it’s not your business.

Who decides that line? The Mods? The masses? A pie chart?

Iron covers…

Go for it. You want to use iron covers GO FOR IT. But sooner or later you’re gonna have to see me. And you better be ready to defend those covers because I’m coming for their children.
That’s the refuge I know.

14 Likes

I’m very confused here. The issue with Doxxing is that you don’t know who most of these people really are. Maybe you pushed someone’s buttons one too many times on here and he figures out where you live and shows up at your house. Or your kids school. Maybe he sends a package bomb through the mail.

Everyone here should have an expectation of privacy unless they choose to give out their information.

9 Likes

I mean, if you really need someone to explain to you why telling @gatorz7888 he’s an idiot for thinking brisket is a steak is different from publishing someone’s full name on the internet because you disagree about club fitting, I guess it can be @Tron. Tron draws the line. Does that work?

A Note Regarding Privacy On The Refuge

6 Likes