Was: Doxxing; then Taco Meat and Steak; Now Hockey GOAT Debate

Adjust for his era and Lemieux is ahead of him. Gretzky got more points primarily because he played longer not because he was a better player. He also played with better teammates and in years with easier scoring.

I’m not a basketball guy.

Who’s better? Ovechkin or Crosby? Because you seem to be putting more weight on goal scoring

Not sure why you say that. And Crosby is better.

1 Like

Just seemed like you were really pushing Lemieux’s Goals/game vs Gretzky as part of your argument is all. Agree Crosby is better, Ovechkin is more fun to watch though

It’s part of the argument.

1 Like

@McSchvantz - can you please respond to the feedback? The silence is deafening.

3 Likes

I’m genuinely shocked that we somehow managed to take this thread to an even more contentious place than it started. About hockey. Wow.

GOAT debates are one of those things where I usually like to take the devil’s advocate stance, especially when the obvious candidate is one of the biggest names in sports history. That being said, in my mind, Gretzky is so obviously the greatest hockey player in the history of the NHL that I can’t even pretend to debate otherwise. There are other greats that deserve their own place in the conversation besides “not Gretzky” but the fact is…they’re not Gretzky.

For me, the biggest takeaway from this vital feedback thread is that some people, not pointing fingers, should think long and hard about their choices. Mostly the ones where people are even mentioning Ovi in this conversation.

17 Likes

Appreciate the thoughts, as always.

Next topic please!

2 Likes

Now it’s clear why you’re in charge around here. :applause:

3 Likes

On this there can be no debate. None.

3 Likes

Scroll up there’s plenty of debate :joy:. I’m still convinced it’s Lemieux.

1 Like

You can definitely give him a pass for the playoff thing for now. Yzerman was considered a stat-chaser who couldn’t win until the mid-90s. Messier was the Greatest Leader Ever and then he went to Vancouver. Circumstances matter a lot in the NHL.

I agree with you generally, but Lemieux and Jagr rarely played together. After his first retirement they played a lot together, but before that Jagr was generally paired with Francis and Lemieux played w/ Stevens and Recchi/Tocchet (which in fairness was pretty sick). Lemieux’s most productive seasons were with the likes of Warren Young, Bob Errey, and Rob Brown.

This isn’t a Backstrom/Ovechkin thing. More like a Crosby/Malkin deal.

Now, this does not include PP time, obviously.

Gretzky was the greatest of all time. Period. I agree with @McSchvantz

In addition, Gretzky was the greatest of all time on NHL’94. He was better than Jeremy Roenick (he’s a friend and I tell him this all the time to his face. Ha!) and Gretzky bled the best on NHL ‘94. Just watch ask Sue and Trent from the movie “Swingers”. Gretzky can BLEED!

5 Likes

Do you tease JR with the “Roy can’t hear you with two rings in his ears” line every chance you get?

It may be petty, but I would.

1 Like

I do. Ha. I tell him that he couldn’t even beat Roy in trash talking in that 96 playoff series!

1 Like

yeah, this was I was probably a bit over my ski tips on…except the PP stuff, which you mentioned. I mean, there is the “put our best guy on so-and-so” and they can’t play both lines, so both great players gain an advantage, but it’s not 1+1=2

Yeah, Lemieux was a bit like Crosby where he was casually a tough player to find linemates who meshed well with him. At the same time, if you found the right fit, they could lift otherwise ordinary players to incredible heights. See: Warren Young, Rob Brown, Pascal Dupuis.

see Guentzel currently

Nah, Guentzel’s the real deal.

1 Like