Using handicaps in a 3 club tourney

Anyone thats played in one of these 3 club tournaments - where they handicapped? I’m just not sure how, if at all to give handicaps in this. We will be playing from our Red tees which is 5300. I’m leaning towards not capping this because of the forward tees.

Seems you have to use caps somehow. How else will a 15 play against a 4? Why not just strokes where they lie based upon index calculated to those tees?

1 Like

That makes sense too, giving some context, this tourney is one in a series of four that i’m running and all but the Par 3 challenge will be capped. Got an Alt shot, and a toughest day/2-man scramble as well. So i guess it would make sense for the 3 club to be capped.

Use a percentage of handicap if you’re worried about it. Say 50%, for example. Means the low guys don’t get much, but the higher guys get it where they may need just a little extra.

Let partial strokes fall where they may, and just take it off the final score, is another option. May mean you get somebody that wins by 1/10 of a stroke and could add some fun too.

3 Likes

I feel, as a mid-capper, that handicaps are even more important in this format than in standard play. The lower cap is likely going to be able to manipulate their three clubs a lot more than the higher cap, and may even be able to pick more versatile clubs - if they don’t need to/choose not to go for max distance off the tee.

Not sure what the right answer is but I’d almost have it as a rolling percentage - like if there’s 20 players, lowest 5 get 50%, next 5 get 65%, next 5 get 80%, last 5 get 100%.

But that is just my idle rainy Sunday speculation. Not based on any real world experience.

Are you doing this at a club? Or a course with a PGA Professional? They might have some better guidance.

3 Likes

Just played in one of these a week ago, but it was a two-player scramble. Each team got 25% of their combined handicap. 5593 yards. No Drivers allowed and your putter counted as one of the three clubs - if you chose to use a putter. Lots of fun. I agree with midwestgolfbum. A percentage would probably work best. Like I said, LOTS of fun!

1 Like

Eww, that doesn’t sound right. A 24 hdcp gets all 24 shots, but a 4 hdcp is now only getting 2? Low handicaps are donors, for the most part, in net events, why undercut them even more?

2 Likes

yeah its at my club - been asking for some different/fun formats for years, just taking it upon myself to run em instead of our staff. they do plenty throughout the season as it is. Since theres not football this fall its a saturday series. gonna do fedex cup style points awarded for results in each tourney. award prize money for each as well and an overall champion and prize money. Alt shot, 3 club, par 3 and 2 man scramble/toughest set up are the 4 events. Alt shot i’m gonna take the sum partners caps then take 50%. 3 club will be 100% caps for the tees we play. the par 3 is gross - i’m gonna set it up so nothing longer than 130 yards but hole locations will be tough. toughest day is capped using the avg of partners caps, then 50% of that. there’ll be 20 teams. I’ve created the invite email, figured out prizes/money, created a scoring doc on google sheets, now just gotta find trophies to award to the Rona Fall Series Champs…

1 Like

You feel that with three clubs and a 5,300 yard course the 24 will be closer to 96 than the 4 will be to 74?

Not all 4’s or 24’s are created equal to be sure but I imagine for their three clubs, the 24 takes driver or 3w, 7 iron, PW or 56*. The already inconsistent 24 trying to hit partial or nuked irons all day, limited to one wedge, etc - not gonna be pretty.

4 hdcp at 5,300 yards will have a lot better time with a 3-iron, 7-iron, wedge of choice. That player - even if they don’t practice it all the time - will be more comfortable with those funky shots.

So yes, I do think the 4 hdcp will be at least two shots closer to their hdcp than a 24 over 18 holes at 5,300 yards. Maybe the 24 should actually get more than their HDCP.

Maybe the 24 will play better if driver were taken out of their hand. Listen, there’s definitely a better chance for someone getting 24 shots to shoot their handicap than a 4 getting less than his/her handicap. I’ll bet most high caps would play better if you just have them their 3 favorite clubs.

Who would win if you handicapped it based on clubs? The higher handicap, the more clubs you get to use. A 4 handicap with 3 clubs or 24 with his whole bag?

I guess we’ll agree to disagree on this one. Maybe @KMo0.0 can come back in here after the round and let us know how things shook out. I would actually be really interested to see.

1 Like

wont be for a while @brutalbaum. that tourney wont be till late october, but i promise to come back and let you guise know how the scoring worked out. Thanks

1 Like

Well after consulting with my fall series “player council” (3 other guys playing in it that I was drinking with…) here’s the various dilemmas we came to and how we resolved them - tourney is in 2 weeks.

Going to play from white tees originally planned on playing to 100% caps at those tees, HOWEVER due to a high amount of near scratch to plus caps playing and not wanting to give back shots on par 3s, we adjusted it, decided to play off our gold (tips) tee handicaps @ 100%. So no one will give back shots, but everyone will get their full value of shots.

Again - tourney is in two weeks so will update after. I’m excited tho, feel like this addressed concerns from both sides of the handicap spectrum.

1 Like

@brutalbaum @rvanculin @midwestgolfbum Held the 3 club this past saturday. got lucky with weather here NW of Detroit, and had a really good turnout. 16 teams (was gonna cap at 20), wide range of indexes from +1.2-22.4. We did use the handicaps from the gold/champ tees even though we were playing the white tees. This allowed everyone to still get their full strokes but didn’t have some of our lower indexed players giving back strokes (some as high as 6-7).

The feedback was everyone had a blast, asking for another one before the snow flies as well as other versions for other tees (2 club from reds/forward, 4 clubs from tips…). The pro staff is also going to “steal” it and add to event schedule for next year. The chief complaint was around that 2 teams finished 1 and 2 were 2 of the highest handicap teams - individual nets 63, 65, 66, 72 amongst those two teams and they were a NET 58 and a NET 60 respectively. Those two teams had gold hcps of 22/26 & 17/17. 13/16 teams in the field finished below par (NET). There was a team that both teammates were plus indexes. Their team score was NET 63 and finished 4th.

It was a best ball - so I think for next year we will implement an 80% handicap for this event - but TBD since I have an entire Detroit winter to plan. thanks for the feedback guis.

2 Likes

Wow i guess I was wrong. Well played @rvanculin.

2 Likes

We have had tournaments where you can choose your tees and have strokes added or subtracted based on the rating of the tees.

That being said, I think it would be fun to play where you could choose your tees abd be allowed a certain amount of clubs based on the tees you choose. Farther back, more clubs, etc.

1 Like

So your highest handicap team finished first and your lowest handicap team finished 4th? You really can’t ask for much more out of a net event. Handicap events are so hard because (typically) the lower the handicap, the lower the score variance. And who knows, you could have played from the reds and given the high handicap players so awkward yardages. I think 80% handicap is a good idea for the next event.

3 Likes

yeah overall i was very happy. I do love @rvanculin’s suggestion about choosing tees and that determines how many clubs you get. already thinking through it. that adds more strategy in potentially.

1 Like