U.S. Open Pairings & Discussion

Reed, ZJ, Charl Schwartzel - 3 masters winners…couldn’t be less excited
Rory, Phil, Speith - What mix of personalities and talents
Tiger, DJ, JT - Praise the teebox protracer gods

Sergio playing with one of his best friends (RCB) and his young protégé (Rahm) for the first 36? He’s going to have a VERY late tee time Saturday afternoon.

Forcing all the Spanish guys to play together has ICE written all over it. Its a trap.

I like the Els, Stricker, Furyk pairing. It’s a throwback to the early aughts. I hope they all catch fire and make us feel like it’s 2000 again.

As has also been pointed out by Will Gray, the Rory-Phil-Spieth group is the guys with three legs of the career grand slam.

Will Gray noted some themed groups in this tweet: https://twitter.com/WillGrayGC/status/1004803566580535296

Hatton-Willett-Poulter: Englishmen
Vegas-Frittelli-Ghim: Longhorns
Howell-Haas-Hoffman: H’s
Glover-Simpson-McDowell: Past winners

Third player unannounced in Bradley-Schauffele group, but I’d bet it’s Grillo. That would be 3 PGA Tour Rookies of the Year.

The other player guaranteed to be in, but not yet officially in, is An. Chances are they put him with Yu and Liang to make another all-Asian group.

Some groups have two players with something in common but the third doesn’t seem to fit.

Scott Gregory and Will Zalatoris were 2017 Walker Cuppers, but Michael Putnam? I guess he was a Walker Cupper in 2005, so maybe that’s it.
Garrett Rank and Mackenzie Hughes are Canadian, but Aaron Baddeley isn’t.
Satoshi Kodaira and Branden Grace have won at Harbour Town, but not Paul Casey.
We have “Beef” and Berger in the same group, with Kevin Chappell.

The Reed/ZJ/Charl group is a masterful troll job by the USGA. Sticking Reed with good, but not great, Masters champs instead of one of the 3 marquee pairings in either wave.

I hate how they do supergroups, just adds unnecessary pressure.

I am really trying to figure out if you’re trolling or referencing a joke that I may have missed from earlier in the year.

No trolling here, but perhaps pressure wasnt the right word. I just think if you spread the stars out you could get some more exposure for guys still trying to make a name for themselves. If you have the stars all together, the galleries become ridiculous and i would imagine the in person experience for the average fan suffers.

I feel like the broadcasters have some influence. It’s something to market leading up to the event, and also makes resource deployment pretty simple - 2 mega groups on the course at any given time, it’s pretty easy to know where the on-course reporters, protracer-capable cameras, etc need to be.

Remember there’s online coverage. With featured groups. If you can only show, say, 2 featured groups per wave…you gotta have supergroups. Imagine DJ, JT, and Tiger in 3 different groups…that means one of the 3 would not make featured group coverage online.