TPC Sawgrass worth it?

I’m going in o be in Jacksonville on business next week. Thinking about playing sawgrass. Price is over $500. Is it worth it? I’ve spent that on Pebble and Pinehurst but wasn’t sure how TPC holds up. Thx.

I’ve spent that at Pebble too, and I’d do it again. But I wouldn’t at Sawgrass. You do you, though.

Yes… do it. And I say that for 2 reasons:

1. It’s worth paying/playing it once (you only live once. Might as well say you’ve played Sawgrass when it comes on TV every year). I would never pay that much to play it a 2nd time but glad I played it once.
  2. Your timing is good. The course will be in awesome shape right now.

(I played it once in August… in Florida… after a long summer our tourist, like me, playing it… no bueno).

But the clubhouse is cool and it will make it that much more fun to watch on TV. So sure, go for it.

I think it’s worth it. The course is really good, I can’t think of a bad hole out there. Some of my favorite holes were the least talked about (3,4,10,11,13).

Make a day out of it; get out early and use the facilities, play your round (it’ll be 5 hours) then have dinner and drinks at the massive club house and soak it all in.

Also, you’ll be surprised how big 17 green is in person. It’s really not a hard shot at all.

I played it a couple years ago with my Dad. Don’t think I payed quite as much as that for the green fee but then again I was staying on site at the Marriott and packaged that together with another round at the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club - Ocean Course.

Personally I found it to be well worth it. The facilities, the course, and the service at TPC are all top notch. Definitely plan to grab breakfast there before the round, leave plenty of time to warm up using the world class range, and stay for drink and dinner post round if possible.

You really do feel like a tour player playing this course and the shots from Players Championships gone by will flood your memory as you play and then watching the tournament in years to come will bring back memories of when you played. That’s fairly special as far as I’m concerned.

My only regret is not ponying up for a full caddy. Would have been even better walking the course vs riding.

I played it Friday. I won’t say whether it is worth it or not, because I played on my Firm’s dime. But be prepared to encounter the following:

1. Construction. They are currently erecting the grandstands, re-sodding some areas, and landscaping others. There are tons of crews out there on almost every hole. It’s loud.
  2. Grass markers. The crew has spray painted the mow lines in hot pink turf paint. Not the most natural looking thing, and kind of cheapens the experience.
  3. Auxiliary costs. Green fee is one thing, but you’re also looking at a forecaddie (at least), $10 food items, pricey drinks, etc.
  4. Cart path only. Stadium course is CPO year-round. While your forecaddie helps to keep the pace up by gunning yardages for you, just keep in mind that the rounds move a turtle pace and tend to bottleneck at the turn and 16 tee through the end.

On the other hand:

1. Turf conditions are fantastic right now. Greens rolling truer than you can imagine, fairways are tight, rough is gnarly but not terrible. Bunkers perfect amount of sand.
  2. Weather this weekend is supposed to be great, not too hot.
  3. Staff/Service/Caddies are all second to none. I recommend Colby if you can get him as a forecaddie. He was excellent at helping with course management, green reads, and taking photos/video with a smile. Tipped him double what I expected to at the end.
  4. There are a bunch of memorable holes. It’s a difficult course but you can get a feel for what Dye’s concepts of visual deception really mean in person the first time you try to bite off more than you can chew.

Hope this helps.

I played it last year around this same time. Similar situation in that I was down in Jax for work. So first and foremost I felt like I was getting a deal since I didn’t have to pay for my flight which would have cost me around $300ish at other times.

The course was in great shape and while the grandstands and grounds were being prepared for The Players in no way was any of that distracting or bothersome.

I had been out there a number of time previously to eat/shop and play the Valley but playing the big course was a lot of fun and well worth it. Plus I stiffed my shot on 17 and piped a drive a down the left side of 18 fairway.

would have been worth a $1,000 greens fee

Played Sawgrass in December with my old man. Did the exact same, put a 9-iron on 17 to like 18 feet, drained it for birdie. Piped my drive on 18 up the right side, 7 iron into the green to about 10 feet and lipped out the birdie putt, tap in par. I would of went bananas if I went -2 on 17&18 lol

Definitely worth playing at least once, even at a steep price. It’s one of the really iconic locations in golf that is instantly recognizable, even to non-golfers. I’ve actually played it twice, once before the new clubhouse and once after. I loved the older look to the place, with the old clubhouse and true stadium mounds. With the new clubhouse, the Tour has polished the rough edges and it’s pretty pristine everywhere now. I don’t feel like everything there now fits the site quite as well as it used to. It’s definitely a cool experience and the course is pretty pure.

Thanks all. Decided to do it. Have a tee time next Friday. Looking forward to it.