NIT Qualifier: The Windmill at Cedar Valley. 5/22/21 in Winona, MN. Place your bets!

The Refuge is a helluva place. About a month ago I reached out to the @Double_Bogey_Dave because I wanted to contact @Lazstradamus about setting up a gentlemen’s bet. Two years ago he put my swing in the Flop 10 and it’s been eating at me since. I set a goal of betting him that I could shoot a score and prove that his judgement was wrong (read: shove it up his ass). We agreed to terms and my plan was

1. Get person who I’ve never interacted with in real life to agree on a silly bet :white_check_mark:

2. Fill out NLU event form so we can maybe have merch :white_check_mark:

3. Cold beers

HOWEVA, after filling out the events form I learned that this event has been given a NIT spot. So now the plan is put the Winona/La Crosse area on the map as a great spot for golf.

Details
Where: Cedar Valley Golf club, Winona MN https://www.cedarvalleymn.com/
When: May 22
Field size: TBD, aiming for 20-30 but the more the merrier.
Format: Evenly distributed teams play NLU style TILT for a small prize. For the NIT spot, either the top point earner from each team squares off in a horse race or the winning team decides who takes the NIT spot.
Cost: $33 walking, $49 w/cart. Can walk all day
Charity: Hiawatha Mental Health Center

So why call it The Windmill?
When it comes to our goals, especially our golf goals, they are manifestations of our mind. We are chasing these goals which we constructed to prove something to ourselves.
Much like Don Quixote tilted at windmills because he believed them to be monsters, we are chasing our golf goals without realizing how kooky it can look to outsiders. For fuck’s sake, I’m driving 278 miles to play my old college course and hopefully shoot low enough that Laz has to donate to my alma matter. (I should also mention that my wife fully supports this and the paperwork to make her a living saint has been submitted)

So let’s go have some fun
The Windmill sign up sheet

14 Likes

Also, I was thinking of dividing the teams by beer. Old Style was originally made in LaCrosse and as a Cubs fan, it is part of my DNA.
For MN beer, I was thinking Premium Grain Belt
Blatz/Schlitz are other names I thought of. Open to other suggestions for regional favorites as team names

1 Like

La Crosse guy here, WSU alumni as well. All in on this.

@AlCzervik looks like the sheet is still in view only for the rest of us.

@tuckedpin you in?

Try now, hopefully it’s updated.

Also…St. Mary’s gui here.

1 Like

Apologies on the assumption, total public school move on my part to forget there’s two other colleges in town.

1 Like

Only two ways to settle this

1. chug a beer, play golf
  2. play golf, chug a beer
1 Like

Nice, I’m up for playing too. Live a quick 2-hr drive from there, and have never golfed in that area so looking forward to it… Not sure about my team tho :thinking:\

Any insight into this?

1 Like

Regarding teams, my initial thought is that once we more or less have a finalized group we can start dividing up into teams. Ideally the teams will be pretty balanced in terms of skill

1 Like

Speaking as an Iowa alum/fan, the northern Iowans and Minnesotans always show up with Michelob Golden Light.

3 Likes

WSU Alumni '11 played at Cedar Valley many of times and just a short 2 hr drive from Mpls. Would love to take part!

2 Likes

Honestly, any reason to get up towards LaCrosse (mostly to get on LaCrosse CC) is enough to pique my interest. Let me clear it with the social director, but see no reason why I can’t make it work.

What’s another 200+ mile trip this summer?

@bignanski @Battisstatus you wanna come down for this.

3 Likes

Want to: yes

Can I?: no. I will be doing my best super Dad impression for my sons birthday that weekend.

1 Like

Now what the fuck have I been roped into

EDIT: the event seems #sickkk but sadly I will be eviscerating @BaxterMSP that weekend at Northland CC. Perhaps next time.

2 Likes

This is where I’m supposed to try and persuade you to come down here, but I have to believe it is absolutely gorgeous up that way, especially because there are approximately 63 hours in the year where there is no frost/snow threat AND no 'roided out insects trying to exsanguinate you at every waking moment

3 Likes

If all goes well, I will be in grad school this fall otherwise I would definitely have aimed for Octoberfest in LaCrosse. What could go wrong with that idea?

1 Like

The fact that we are up to 63 hours might be a damned miracle.

1 Like

I am in to join The Windmill. WSU grad never played the course. Living in Rochester so just down the road.

3 Likes

Threw my name down as a maybe. Had something with the family planned that weekend but theres a chance it will fall through. Id says its 50 50 if I can come or not.

1 Like

Hi everyone-
I’m finalizing the request for a block of tee times. Given the somewhat remoteness of Winona, I’m going to ask for a 2pm start and enough tee times for 24 people. If we get more than 24, great!
Hopefully this gives everyone a chance to drive from the Twin Cities/Rochester and not have be part of the dawn patrol

3 Likes