The Refuge Wine Thread

Strategic restructuring

:100: :100: :100:

Yeah received an email a couple of months ago from them saying it’s related to some sort of shareholder dispute but that financially, operationally, etc. they’re just fine. Could be true. Could be what someone told them to say.

Edit: found it:

RIP to a big part of my college experience. He’s up there, slapping that big bag in the sky tonight.

7 Likes

I personally would not order from SommSelect. There are few internal things happening there that is affecting their purchasing decisions and questionable provenance of the wines they buy.

If you’re looking for older wines, let me know. I have other sources and avenues where I would be happy to acquire for you.

This goes for everyone else as well.

6 Likes

Found Scholium Project “Sylphs” by the glass tonight in Halifax (en route to Cabot tomorrow :eyes:)

11 Likes

Does anyone have any experience with Fruitblood wine out of Cincinnati? They seem to be doing some cool co-fermentation stuff that I love. Might have to try some.

I’ve heard of them. They are doing something similar to what Jester King in Hill Country, Texas with mixed-media spontaneous (open tank) fermentation. Which is really enjoyable stuff!

1 Like

I will have to check out Jester King as well then!

2 Likes

Seen this at two DC restaurants this week - little #cobranding not quite #ambushmarketing

3 Likes

World class

7 Likes

Tried this Pinot at a party this week. I found it quite enjoyable. Anyone ever tried any of the Donelan wines?

2 Likes

I saw it pictured here enough and had to try it. This bangs.

5 Likes

I have been trying to learn my wines for a couple years now and going to my first in person wine course in two weeks! I am very excited and I am looking forward to building up my knowledge more.

8 Likes

Little 2014 napa bordeaux blend with dinner

7 Likes

Opened up a decent one last week!

Was a gift from the winery for giving them a hand one afternoon. Not a bad trade!

5 Likes

Have a 2004 bottle in the cellar. Great bottle?

2015 I had was really good, I’m sure the 2004 is excellent too!

1 Like

Today’s haul

4 Likes

Scenes from dinner at Altura in Seattle (very worth the stop):

The ciliegiolo was a lot of fun, and worth trying to find just as a novelty wine because of how much strawberry comes through. Barbaresco was the star of the show, though. Went so well with both Iberico pork and the wagyu ribeye.

Pairings were well done overall!

11 Likes

Scarpa is one of the best producers in all of Barbaresco. Especially in Ovello. Well done!

2 Likes