The Refuge Golf Club

Done!

“The magnificence of the course design is evident with island type tee boxes mixed within the wetlands and tree lined fairways”

NAH

1 Like

In the spirit of Sweetens, take 18 of the holes from the “Worst Golf Holes” thread, and make them good. Perhaps even too good.

5 Likes

As a Jacksonville resident, could we maybe pick somewhere else? Somewhere free from hurricanes, meth, lagartos and TGI Fridays franchises?

4 Likes

You guys are awesome!

Here’s some personal preferences:

• Big fan of width & angles, that sort of thing. Loving @alexshreff’s C&C/Pete Dye baby.
  • Gotta have enough elevation changes to make it interesting, not too much that it’s difficult to walk (side note: I’m not totally opposed to carts, and there can be paths at TRGC, but they’ll be put in only AFTER the course is designed and walking will be heavily emphasized. Gotta get your exercise.)
  • Definitely looking at designing it in the 6,500-6,800 yd. range, adding a set of back tees to push 7,000 if needed in the future.
  • Par won’t be 72. Par won’t be ANYTHING, because, as in the words of @3wiggle: “Par is just a social construct.” Pure poetry.
  • Strongly considering a founding location somewhere in the western part of North/South Carolina or Georgia, to make it easily accessible to everyone. Preferably a sandy base to allow for that links-style firmness (plus it’s just a cool aesthetic). Will definitely look into expanding TRGC network to other locations in the future (I see you @TCRBrad)

Also, full disclosure here: I’m a college student, so there’s a snowball’s chance in hell that I’m actually getting this built on my own. It’s to my understanding that us Refugees can do some great things, so let’s keep it going!

3 Likes

Good thing there’s a place to share renderings while sketching during lectures/work :smirk:

1 Like

Nope, no carts, walk only

1 Like

I believe that those who are able to walk should do so, and those who want to drink as their primary activity should do so off the course. However, we still want to be accessible to the elder statesmen of the refuge, so carts are a must.

3 Likes

My grandfather is 80, and he has never been a golfer, but he wanted to spend time with me pursuing my interests when I visited in Florida, so he was my cart-driver-caddy for the day. With hip surgeries, he is not the best walker otherwise. It was a very special experience, and I wouldn’t trade it for a day at ANGC.

4 Likes

And you don’t have to trade that experience for anything. You still have 99% of courses to go play and enjoy that allow carts

But the refuge is different, woke, so no carts

1 Like

I really don’t think you’ll find much strength in that take here. While I admire Boston GC for their cart-less attitude, I think there’s a time and a place. Maybe cart-less plus ADA.

1 Like
1 Like

I am in

1 Like

Burning Cart Society + accessibility as needed, not wanted. God I hate it when 20-somethings (read: my friends) want to take carts and drink 20 beers… just stay on our porch! That’s ok too.

3 Likes

I have spoken about this on other threads but since I was a kid I’ve wanted to own a place called Ballynahinch Castle Hotel in County Galway in Ireland.

https://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxcPNkcyM4gIVFODtCh3_uAWuEAAYASAAEgKR6_D_BwE

I used to go salmon fishing there a few times a year as a boy and it’s just beautiful.

As the years have gone on I found myself fantasising about building a magnificent golf course there and it has the most amazing land to build one. Check out the property on Google Maps, especially the lake to the NE of the hotel, the river, the smaller lake and the small mountain between the two. To my mind a course with a routing to rival Cypress could be built here.

(Course location in red)

Yes, there’s water. But if used right in cape holes and routed to take in the views of the 12 Bens, like this one:

I’d love someone with the inclination to do a routing.

8 Likes

@therealvwgolf, we have a winner!

1 Like

When do we start selling hats?

11 Likes

Keep Pete Dye’s manufactured aesthetic off of the Refuge Golf Club!!

How about the routing and strategy of C&C, natural-seeming yet interesting land movement of Doak, and the playability vs intrigue balance of Hanse

Also anywhere in Louisiana should be out. The whole state is a swamp. I don’t want standing water on the course, ever. Also eliminates my hometown… RIP zoysia fairways

1 Like

Love it. We’d need a TRGC/RACDG collab here, has the potential to be world-class.

1 Like

Guys I’m really stoked with the enthusiasm here. I’m gonna get to work asap on finding a spot in the US, either in the mid-south/east coast region or the Nebraska sandhills. Maybe both, idk, just depends on the quality of land I can find.

Also (shoutout to @The_Cad_Says and the RACDG thread) gonna work on a routing at Ballynahinch for the first European TRGC location. Working on getting finals done (again, college student here) but I’ll do my best to have these all worked out in the near future.

As for the whole carts/no carts discord, here’s my personal policy: if you’re legally handicapped, covered by the ADA, can prove that you are legitimately in need of a cart, then by all means. I want everyone to be able to play my golf courses, not just a certain type of people who are physically able to walk them. Paths around greens and tees to help guide the cart drivers and keep them from tearing things up, but paths should in no way alter the integrity of the design of the course. From the beginning, golf has been a walking sport, but modern technology (golf carts) to allow the game to be more inclusive is absolutely a great thing. So TRGC will have carts, will have some paths, but you have to prove that you need one in order to ride. Sound fair?