The Reading Room: Selection #6 (November 2018)

My apologies being late this month. The selection is:

1 Like

I read this a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Some of the most vivid descriptions of courses like National Golf Links, Secession and Sherwood, a well as Dornoch. But he doesn’t just talk about the architecture, he nails the soul of the place. What it feels like to play there and what it means to work there.

Also woven into the narrative is a long story of a man struggling with his own destiny and the conflict between what he wants it to be and his fathers vision for his son.

It’s beautifully written and well worth a read.

2 Likes

I second this - awesome book, quick read. Some of the best descriptions of great courses from a different, read: less pompous, point-of-view

1 Like

Kudos to @Randy on getting me to finally work through my amazon book list. I’ve been planning to read this for the last 3 years…

1 Like

Perhaps my favorite golf book. The mushrooms at Olympic, Dick Millweed, the hybrid Shinny/NGLA round, the gaudy Aspen adventures. May have to go back and read it again. Jealous of everyone who gets to enjoy it for the first time.

2 Likes

Really enjoyable and easy read this month. I never caddied growing up but did work at a course with no caddies as a ranger, starter, driving range picker, cart boy; definitely tugs at the heartstrings and makes you wish you could drop everything and caddie for a couple years in these amazing places. I also know a few professional sailors whose lives mirror caddies a lot, always traveling for the next gig but rarely with any kind of long term stability.

Can’t wait to hear John on the Trap Draw at the end of the month.

1 Like

Great pick–I read this one a year or two back when I went on a caddie memoir jag (they practically make up their own genre within memoir!). Looking forward to the Trap Draw interview–and I’ll have to pull ito down and read it through again.

what I remember about it of the top of my head is that its an example of a book you can leave on a coffee table, pic up for 10 minutes before dinner, walk away and come back a week later and read a little more. Something I enjoy.

1 Like

I finished this in one sitting on a flight last week and really liked it. The descriptions of the seasons spent alternating between skiing and caddying really make me want to drop everything and hit the road.

3 Likes

Read this a few years ago but now I’m wondering if I should pull a re-read with some of the comments folks are making here. I really liked it, and it made me regret never caddying even as a kid.

This is a great pick! I have been reading it during my commute and honestly struggle to put it down and actually go to work…

1 Like

Amazon is frantically making preperations to have it to my door sometime this week, I’m sure. Looking forward to the read.

I also had trouble with Amazon getting it here on time - but it was worth the wait. With two young kids, I was a bit jealous of the freedom and experiences John had. I’m even more excited for a Bandon trip at some point in the future. Really enjoyed this one!