The Reading Room: Selection #4 (September 2018)

New book club selection is up. Comes highly recommended by multiple people here, so THANK YOU.

1 Like

Things are moving very quickly for me right now…still on Selection #1

1 Like

Yeah, Randy can burn through books as he is childless (at least until the legal system says otherwise) and is primarily a man of leisure, which coincides with his anti-corporate ethos and ivory tower aspirations.

4 Likes

I’m going to try and get to this in September…been on my list for a while.

Y’all are cracking me up. @scuff, you particularly nailed my situation! Also, I’d like to add, the good thing about this stuff is it’s evergreen. Get to it on your own time–it’s not going anywhere!

2 Likes

Really excited for this one. My dad always talked about Moe Norman when I was growing up so this should be an interesting read.

1 Like

I’m a little late getting to this one - but I really enjoyed Moe and Me. In a way it reminded my of Bamberger’s Men in Green, except that Rubenstein focused on one person rather than several. Moe has to be the most unique, arguably great golfer in history. I say arguably because his tournaments wins don’t match up to the traditional lists of great golfers. However, after finishing the book, I would argue that in Moe’s mind he had his own criteria for greatness, and he accomplished that.

A couple things that stuck out to me as I read:

1. This quote from Moe: “How can anyone copy my swing, the guys in white coats would come and take you away. You can’t be me. How can you be me? Everyone is copying everyone else, everyone is copying. Be yourself, be yourself. Don’t try to be me. You can’t be me.”

2. Another Moe quote: “People are afraid to win. to become good at the things they do. People can’t face reality, they’re afraid of it, they’re afraid to live. You gotta believe there’s no tomorrow and give it the best you have today.”

3. This one isn’t Moe related; “The Tragedy of the Short Putt” by Henry Leach has to be one of the greatest titles in golf writing.

As I look back at Moe and Me, and in particular the quotes above, Moe had a lot of things right. He may have had autism, or a traumatic brain injury, but he lived life the way he wanted to and worked towards the goals that he had. Success to him was based off of his measuring stick, not the rest of the worlds. I think we all wish we did a little more of that.

1 Like