OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Rules post 1864 and in the spreadsheet

hot damn

8 Likes

Pod 7 here. Although we are a little late to the party, we got in the first match of the pod.

In quite possibly the best display of mediocre golf, @Tigerific90 played myself @UncleDrew this evening. The pillow fight ended with myself defeating @Tigerific90 3&2 in a match which could be best described as 2 cars at a four way stop continuously waiving the other one through but neither of them making the first move.

The highlight of the round was actually non golf related as @Tigerific90 dropped a story on me about the 4th hole at famed Valleywood Golf Course. If you see him, ask him why the tree off to the right of the tee box hold a special place in his heart.

On to No Findlaying Up this weekend. Cheers nesticles!!!

5 Likes

Good Tuesday Morning Matchplayers!

We’ve got some significant updates as elimination round participants are being confirmed left and right. Fist, in pod 4 I played @McDickey in what was a super contentious match of back and forth play that wound up in an all square match that really either of us could have won, with me taking the tie-breaker on the final hole. This gives me three points, just leaving me out of the position to advance to the elimination rounds. Which means @OhioStateBrady will be going through out of pod 4 with @McDickey.

In pod 11. We have a truly sick and tough scene. After @joecline41 beat @clevelandgooner this past weekend we had a THREE WAY tie of players with 6 points.

Ultimately, the tie breaker for for this pod means that @Browcoww77 and @cwb19 will be advancing.

Congrats to everyone advancing!

3 Likes

I would have described the match as two Champion heavyweight boxers delivering bodyblows until only one was left standing. Or possibly two great Gladiators in the arena fighting to the death for the Emperor’s approval. But, the two cars at the four-way stop is pretty darn accurate. It was a blast and I am looking forward to Saturday!!!

4 Likes

For my fellow Browns fans, I feel like I did in ‘07 after watching fucking Jim Sorgi and the Colts take a dump in the season finale. The lesson as always: play better.

6 Likes

As someone who finished one point out of advancing myself because I tied twice in matches I had chances to win: I hear you.

2 Likes

Out-freaking-standing

1 Like

Just lucky you didn’t penalize me for showing up late, no towel, no push cart and hardly a drop of water. Really enjoyed the walk and the course and getting to meet a hell of a golfer who can hit it a country mile.

2 Likes

@tmck14 and I teed it up Tuesday afternoon at Brown’s Run for his first and my final match. Was a bit of a rocky start for me, but some surprisingly good wedge shots kept me alive while Tad shot 1 under on the front, making the turn 3 up on me.

I guess I should say “making the turn,” since we blitzed the front in just under 1.5 hours, only to see six guys on #10 tee in what looked like league play of some sort. The pro shop was cool with us playing the front nine again, so we gladly avoided what would’ve likely been a 3+ hour round and pegged it on #1 for a second time.

Couldn’t have gone much differently than the first time around, as I finally started striking the ball well for the first time this year. A couple of birdies from me and bogeys from Tad had the match tied up after 16 holes, but I failed to convert an up and down on #17 and went into the final hole 1 down. Tad flared his drive into the right rough and I absolutely demolished mine, on a line that ended up being slightly too far right to have a chance at making it on the green. We each hit the green, Tad leaving himself about 25 feet while I was about 5 or 6 feet closer. Neither putt dropped, so the final hole was halved and I lost the match 1 down.

It was great to finally be sweating on the golf course for once instead of having too many layers on to swing properly, and even better to meet and play with Tad. Having a match where both guys play well is truly a joy, and finishing 18 holes in right around 3 hours is an excellent cherry on top.

Best of luck to everyone advancing out of pod play, I’ll be back with a vengeance next year!

5 Likes

You’re a great sport @twturner for not only continuing to show up and give your best effort, but also writing up the whole story afterward.

Looks like you’re the first person to play all your matches in Pod 3 and that the other players haven’t even played each other yet? That’s pretty great of you.

3 Likes

Pod 10 wrapped up group play yesterday at the venerable Manakiki golf course. Myself (@MDM) and @Buck battled in some truly beautiful NE ohio weather. Not a ton of great golf played between the two of us, but highlight of the round were the 3 straight birds on 12-14 for me to go from 1up to 4up. @buck battled back and got to 17 tee only 2 down, but I ended up closing out the match 3&1. Buck hit some seriously accurate drives and has an enviable putting stroke.

Wonderful walk, wonderful weather, great company. Can’t wait to play Manakiki many more times this year – such a special course.

TL;DR → @MDM bests @Buck 3&1 in Pod 10

5 Likes

POD 12 match completed last evening between @JakeFromStateFarm and myself.

This one wasn’t much of a match as Jake played great golf and dusted me 5&3. He played smart off the tee and took advantage of the strokes he was given. His short game was absolutely elite as he made 8 or 9 gross pars!

It was a great evening for a round of golf, with great company.

4 Likes

What type of shape is Browns Run in? It was hit or miss last year and I am teeing it up there on Sunday.

3 Likes

It was pretty good yesterday! Greens were firm and rolling pretty fast, most of the areas that were swampy on Saturday had drained well. The sand in some of the bunkers is a little on the thin side, but all in all, I’d say it’s definitely in “hit” shape at the moment :+1:

3 Likes

I think the real winner of yesterday may have been the unprecedented pace of play for Manakiki. We got around walking in 3.5 hours, and likely would have been sub 3 hours if we didn’t catch a bit of a log jam on the back nine.

6 Likes

Weekdays will do that for you.

1 Like

Was a lot of fun out there yesterday on a gorgeous afternoon. Really fun watching @twturner smash the ball

4 Likes

Pod 12 update. WAYYYYY back on the 16th of April, @ChuckWoods and I went down to the wire at Virtues and finished All Square after 18 holes. Some effort has been made to try and link up for the final few matches but distance and life (covid for me) seem to be getting in the way. After finishing my match with @metzbuck33, here’s what the Updated standings should look like:

prop 0-1-0 / 0 pts / 4 down
JakeFromStateFarm 1-0-1 / 4 pts / 5 Up
metzbuck33 1-1-0 / 3 pts 1 down
ChuckWoods 0-0-1 / 1 point / A/S

2 Likes

Did you guys not set up or play a tiebreaker?

1 Like

no, we didn’t break the tie at Virtues.

2 Likes