OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Rules post 1864 and in the spreadsheet

I think it’s great out there and the greens are some of the best public greens around. It’s worth noting that we teed off at 6:27am and there were about 5 groups in front of us. Have no idea what time they start over there

You think most people here are golf sickos, the guys teeing off at 5:50am when you can’t see more than 50 yards in the fog are the real sickos.

4 Likes

I am part of this crew.

7 Likes

Hell yeah

Yeah Ellsworth doesn’t get a lot of pub except for the surrounding communities. Let’s keep it like that. So fun. 17 is one of my favorite holes in NE Ohio.

3 Likes

@dkoller won the last hole in the dark to take down @OhioStateBrady on Friday. Was a slug fest back and forth at a very hard and slow (play) Beckett Ridge.

3 Likes

Current matchups out there are definitely getting more and more compelling:

On the bottom half of the bracket we have -

@cwb19 vs @Livi
@Twowaymiss vs @Browcoww77
@flanwilder vs @jack67

And on the top half we’re fully into the quarter-finals with -
@dkoller vs @methridge
@BoomBaby812 vs @UncleDrew

2 Likes

Was able to be victorious in my match today at Deer Ridge winning 4 and 3.

4 Likes

Seconded here on the match. He played a great match (even on the front). Very fun but hilly walk!

1 Like

Could be looking at TWO pod rematches in the bottom of the bracket if @flanwilder and @cwb19 end up winning their matches. Very provocative.

4 Likes

Late elimination pod rematches is what we were hoping for when we set up the bracket.

1 Like

Can’t tell if serious or joking… Either way, I wasn’t meaning to throw shade on our organizer, I actually think it could be very interesting to have rematches and see if anyone is able to adjust and gain an advantage.

3 Likes

Hey all, got a 330 at Manakiki tomorrow that @flanwilder and myself will be playing. Let me know if you are interested to join. Got two spots open.

1 Like

Hate to spoil the potential rematch but Chris and I already played.
THE Ohio State Matchplay - Elimination Bracket Underway! - #1007 by Livi

3 Likes

Serious. We split up starting pods so they wouldn’t rematch early. This was by design.

2 Likes

No need to point fingers but someone dropped the ball. The bracket has now been updated. @Livi vs @Browcoww77 .

@flanwilder and @jack67 are the last matches in this round. Reminder you can stat the next round as soon as you know your opponent.

1 Like

Like @smithburger said, that was 100% on purpose. We didn’t want any pod rematches early in the elimination rounds if we could avoid it. Not only to help people play with more new people, but also to provide for a more compelling rematch if it were to happen in the late states of elimination.

Let me also say, that running this with @smithburger has been an absolute blast and now that we’re headed toward the end of it I’m really excited to see how this plays out.

5 Likes

TYFYS

and @smithburger

4 Likes

Howdy all, I bested @flanwilder, 1up, with quite a ping pong match. From both sides, there were moments of excellence, followed by moments of pain, followed by clutch putts, followed by choke shots (I blacked out on 17). Jim nor I ever got to 2up and we didn’t push more then two holes in row, I rolled a 5’ par on 18 (front #9) to take the match…odd day at Manakiki, back 9 start, as we rolled to the front, #10 was stacked with league play but left the front almost empty. Cruised around. All in all, we didn’t play our best but the match was excellent.

8 Likes

It was a wonderful walk around Manakiki and the better man certainly won. Some wild scrambling and sneaky solid bunker play helped me linger but ultimately the ball striking let me down. 41-49 was a tough scene with count em ZERO fairways and ZERO greens in reg on our second side. Hats off to @jack67 he’s going to be a tough out.

4 Likes