The Landfill: Coverage Dump. Posi Vibes not allowed (except for ESPN)

I wanted to be whiny in the tournament thread, but remembered that people have asked for moratoriums on coverage takes in recent weeks. In fairness, I can definitely understand why seeing people bitch each week would be grating and obnoxious, but I am also sick of being bored to tears in watching a sport I love, so I decided to make a thread for specific complaints in hopes that it’d be cathartic for both sides of the coverage take crowds.

I can start. We currently have Morikawa, Hovland, and JT at the top of the leaderboard. To a lesser degree, Hideki and young promising player Sam Burns are lurking and I just saw Burns swing preposterously hard at a drive. Why does nobody covering this leaderboard seem remotely enthused? Why don’t I see all of their shots with moderately appropriate context? Why did we recently see a random Phil (missed) putt for Par to drop to like…11 back (I’ve been typing this for about 15 minutes, for context). I just…I just don’t get it.

10 Likes

I’ll add a complaint. Streelman has an eagle putt on 7 and Colin has a birdie putt, the coverage ends before they putt and now we see them on 8

5 Likes

My take is that it seems like they’re catering the coverage to the 60+ year old watchers who only watch “their guys” and the only golf news they get is what they see on TV. I feel like they haven’t caught up to the fact that a lot of younger generation players resonate with the younger generation of golfers so they don’t show them, even if they’re in contention/top of the leaderboard.

PGA Tour live is okay in my opinion but only the golf sickos are paying for it and even then it’s only very select groups of typically the same 15-20 guis. I love Rahm but I don’t want to watch him every Thursday and Friday when he struggles. Show me someone new, show me someone who Monday Q’d. But this could also be fixed with the pairings I feel like.

3 Likes

Honestly I’ve given up. I’m not watching golf anymore. I think I’ve watched 20 minutes total since the first week back.

6 Likes

The novelty of golf being back on TV is over for me. CBS is so terrible. It’s back to the inane talkfest with instead of letting the players and caddies carry the coverage.

Without the craziness that is Bryson, I find myself very disinterested in this tournament.

10 Likes

Yeah and it stinks because it should not be such a snooze. There’s more than enough young superstar talent at the top. They’re the story of the tournament and holy cow is it boring to watch. I don’t have the stamina to be this bored until Sunday afternoon :joy:

Gonna watch Palm Springs instead!

1 Like

I basically gave it up. It’s on but my attention is on the interwebs.

1 Like

Nantz asking Faldo about his worst lie ever. Scintillating.

I’m with @VelvetSteve though not with the same vigor. I still watch (cut to it when I know shots are being shown) and mess on my phone or comp the rest of the time.

It’s hard to know when shots are going to be shown because they just blather all the time.

2 Likes

We need more golf writers ripping the coverage.

9 Likes

super weird how, though everyone has the same amount of commercials, only one network constantly gets crapped on for coverage :thinking:

1 Like

I’m not a fan of any the coverage, but CBS is demonstrably the worst. I thought Fox was the best.

3 Likes

Here is my perspective - I like watching PGATL. Not because the coverage is that great, but I enjoy watching players’ entire round. Watching Matthew Wolff shoot a +5 was actually fun - got to see him struggle a bit and try and find something. You see the entire round unfold, rather than whatever shot CBS switches too.

For regular PGA tour events, I end up watching a fair bit on Thursday and Friday mornings, but then on the weekends I just zone out of the coverage. I only watched a bit today as I have morikawa in the OAD pool

6 Likes

This.

Nantz keeps offering up fastballs right down the middle. Sir Nick is gazing off into the sky with the bat on his shoulder. He’s horrrrrrible.

2 Likes

Agreed watching Kopeka wax and wain between giving a shit and walking off the course was fun.

Other than less commercials what improvements would we all like to see?

less talking, less putting, more golf shots, faster pacing

3 Likes

final group of Thomas, Hovland, and Morikawa should have me stoked

but then I realize CBS will be covering it

1 Like