The Highlander - 9/16-9/18 @ Northland CC Duluth MN (Pairings out today? Maybe?)

Brainerd golf is fine, but it’s way overpriced in the summer season. Just drive direct to Duluth and go play Northland

5 Likes

Agree, but September might be worth a shot though.

If I was going to play along that drive it’d be here. The topography is pretty cool and there are some quirky fun holes.

I was mainly thinking giants ridge. It’s definitely not on the route exactly but I was mainly thinking if people were driving from Fargo to Duluth between YOTB and the highlander it would be sweet to stop in brainerd or giants ridge for a few days in between.

Well, @munihack7 seems to think Giant’s Ridge - Quarry is a top 50 course in the country so you’ll get no argument from him

4 Likes

I have run into aerificaton issues in mid Sept at Giant’s Ridge. Be sure to check.

Just saw that the head pro at Northland was suddenly let go. That’s a pretty big change to make at the start of a season; hopefully the negative impacts for the club/course are kept to a minimum.

1 Like

Interesting. Doesn’t that Laz guy know him pretty well?

The membership director finally cross-checked all of the new national members with the TSA no-fly list.

6 Likes

Love it. Fingers crossed!

Got an email regarding the job opening, GM posted the job seems like it was not a good split just by the description.

Paging Panther Mike

1 Like

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

20 Likes

Can’t wait to see this place in person. I’m already getting some putting PTSD from the footage of these greens.

Might have to fully commit to the #MentalMiss for the weekend.

I broke 80 for the first time in a summer junior tournament at northland. I can’t remember what my stats were for sure but I hit something like 15 greens and shot 79. They’re brutal.

2 Likes

Looks like a 50 putt round kind of place. Sick!

Connor Bergman is the new pro. No idea who he is, but he’s somewhat handsome in that hopelessly inbred English Hapsburgian kind of way.

Here’s what kills me: rumor has it he’s a UND hockey guy* (paging @BaxterMSP) so strike one. He does come from The Tree of Nathan at Interlachen, so we are pumped to have him.

Narrator’s voice:
There are 3 kinds of members at Northland:

1. Univ Minnesota-Duluth fans. They run shit. Outnumber everyone and some of the players from the championship women’s team work at the club.
  2. University of North Dakota fans. The quiet ones. Elbow-throwers-in-mosh-pit type people. Not without their influence, but way outnumbered by Category 1 and Category 3.
  3. The Minnesota Gophers fans. Hopeless. Mostly in-and-out for weekend types. Have been emasculated by the current run of dominance by Category 1. I am in this camp.

If you do visit Northland, and I think this video will make you want to visit (great job @Tron) please learn to speak Hockey before arrival. Know your WCHA from the CCHA. Know an 18 year-old freshmen from the Gophers versus a 23 year-old North Dakota freshmen (who’s on his 3rd wife with maybe 4 kids that he claims.) Know Norm Maciver. Know Brett Hull. Don’t talk about Wisconsin. If you happen to be a UMass gui, we accept you.

14 Likes

i feel validated

1 Like

1 Like

Don’t forget that every Minnesota college hockey team to win a national championship has had someone from Hibbing as a player or coach on the team.

2 Likes

Is this real or an intro to a new Laz game/story titled “The Iron Ore Trail”? Looks very stock photo-ish.

If it’s the latter my $ is on the plucky kid from Bloomington despite his private college background.

2 Likes