The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: PODS are live... Get to playing those matches

The Coastal Pod had some action over the last couple of weeks at the Wilmington Muni.

I took on @iPress first on a beautiful Monday afternoon and it wound up just being the two of us. We did get paired up with a brother & sister who were easily old enough to be our parents. Enjoyed several holes with them before they put us up for adoption and told us to play on. Since pace was an issue they would up hanging around with us a little longer.

As far as golf is concerned, I will just say @iPress didnā€™t have his best and I took the match 5&4. Pace was an issue but the Vibes were high.

2nd Match was me against @deez_nauts Friday of the BWM and man what a damn day!! We played our match with @Jeff_M and Scottā€™s friend as witnesses. I had a back & forth round, being down by 4 at one point. Thankfully, Scott cooled off and ran out of strokes on the back and I was able to get back to AS after 16. I won 17 and we tied 18 securing the 1up match for me. Both of us had some bad holes and some good holes but we sure had a damn blast doing it.

Scott & Brad were great to play alongside. Brad is just a smooth operator on the golf courseā€¦fairway/green machine. @Jeff_M enjoyed it as always!

Scott was still nice enough to let me use his shower to get ready for @Pooshdaddyā€™s concert. I also got to meet some of his West Virginian family that afternoon alsoā€¦Yep, they were great :slight_smile:

Cheers

9 Likes

@dmmcgaha and I got our March in under just under the gun.

Unfortunately for Mr Cookout he ran into a buzzsaw.

7&5 victory for yours truly.

5 Likes

Triangle pod 4 got all our matches in:

• I played @bshep at chapel ridge and he had me 3 down after 10. I hit a perfect 4-iron on 11 to be 20 feet from the hole in 2 and made a pajamas-comfy 3-putt par to jump-start the comeback. Hit a 9 iron off the pine straw on 17 to 3 feet for a bird to go one-up and held on for the 2up win.

-I took down @Chester.Copperpot 5&4 on his home turf at Duke with @Swing_hard_and_hope as a witness - tough look for Aaron as now I am legally the owner of all his remaining star rounds at Duke. Main highlight for me was a mega-four on 13 after chunking tee shot and the second shot.

• @turtle812 hosted at pine hollow and we had a delightful pillow fight, highlighted by dueling doubles on 10. Jeff is a top-tier hang and graciously let me back into it for a 4&3 win.

• after getting embarrassed on his home course, @Chester.Copperpot took it out on the rest of the pod, buzzsawing @bshep at croasdaile 5&4, and rolling up @turtle812 at pine hollow 3&2. I fear we have awakened a monster, just in time to set him loose in the bracket.

I advance 3-0, @Chester.Copperpot advances 2-1. Beware: Aaron has a newly fit paradym driver and he is basically Kyle Berkshire now, flowing locks included.

8 Likes

Alright friends, working to finalize the knockout round participantsā€¦ 32 will advance, 1 will be crowned a champion.

11 Pods I think are good to go, those are marked in yellow, but if you see any issues here please reach out ASAP!

That means I have 5 pods we need to work it outā€¦ I want to have this done ASAP so we can get rolling on the knockout round scheduling. Iā€™ll do a follow up posts and tag those folks, but reach out with any questions.

1 Like

Pod 1 - @bmasters, Nanner, @ATLtoRDU33 @Mattgetz7894

From what I can tell Ben played and won 2 matches and is our winner.

Beating nanner and @ATLtoRDU33.

As stated above .5 are awarded for ā€œno contestā€ matches.

which would mean a final standings:
Ben - 6.5
Matt - 1.5
Nanner - 1
Andy - 1

Is that correct?

1 Like

Pod 7 - @PowerFadez, Ryan A, @shane_werran7 @Jrams9207

All I have logged is that Issac won a match. Not even who it was against.

So who gets the coveted second spot? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pod 9 - @dmcelhennon, @CrucialTaunt, @Double_Bogey_Dave, @theleechster

So this one is hardā€¦ and Mike already pointed that out. Yā€™all look like you scored it all correctly.

Dermot takes the pod.

Then Mike and Dave with the tieā€¦ I thought the fair decision is give it to Mike on the win over DBD in their match was the correct tiebreak.

But reach out if you think iā€™m crazy here.

3 Likes

Pod 10 - @FlyingTimato @Nsandila @cjnussbaum1219 @pluds26

For starters looks like @cjnussbaum1219 is dangerous as hellā€¦ And he handedly won the pod.

Then the rest of yā€™allā€¦ Tim brought up this potential issue a while back. Its a 3 way tie with no other matches played.

Idea 1 - we do a random spin for who the winner is of the second place spot
Idea 2 - @FlyingTimato lost by the least and gets to advance on that

Other ideas are welcome thoughā€¦

1 Like

Pod 16 - @yhm, @yungbunzz @e.cadwell57 @BoyNamedSuj

Sounds like not many matches here, but that Chris got out yesterday with Tom at Dormie, so we may need to call that the tiebreak win for the second place spot.

1 Like

Im cool with #2 - but could also be a coinflip between @FlyingTimato and @Nsandila as I will withdraw my name from consideration

1 Like

@jbilo and I could not make our match happen on time, leaving us at a tie in our pod. We elected to send him through as I will be neck deep in baby doo doo after October 7th.

3 Likes

@Swing_hard_and_hope: Pod 10 has reached a democratic decision to decide the fate of the second spot.

With @pluds26 withdrawing, @Nsandila and I agreed to put it up to a coin flip. This was passively approved by @cjnussbaum1219 who said ā€œIā€™ll leave it up to you two.ā€

@Swing_hard_and_hope - we trust you with the flip.

1 Like

Chris won 1up yesterday after what can only be described as a mid cap icarito

The flip has been madeā€¦ @FlyingTimato moves on.

3 Likes

@Swing_hard_and_hope I have played 2 and those are in the sheet correctly as indicated.

Itā€™s possible @ATLtoRDU33 played @Mattgetz7894 while at bandon, but Iā€™m not sure.

1 Like

DQ people who didnā€™t play.

Give people Byes lol

8 Likes

May need to update the rules again after this season lolā€¦Zero matches = DQ from the competition.

9 Likes

This is what we do for the Ohio Matchplay.

Real talk.

If you didnā€™t play a single match GTFOH.

3 Likes

This happened to us in Ohio this year too and I just donā€™t get it. We even upped the cost to enter this year to help motivate people to participate.

Come on people.