The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: PODS are live... Get to playing those matches

We’re counting on the #perspective, the #momentum and also counting on getting all the matches in before July

2 Likes

I didn’t set the pods! Just gotta play the person in front of you. I’ll buy you a beer after my win :beers:

Hot dog water vibes

1 Like

the BEST public golf. Looking forward to it! #GoDeacs

4 Likes

I love this is your first post in 2 years.

3 Likes

Am I right or what, though!? Hard pressed to spend $50+ on some epic tracks…
Reynolds Park (vibe city)
Tanglewood
Bryan Park
The Cardinal
Holly Ridge
Oak Hollow
Forest Oaks
Salem Glen, Oak Valley, Meadowlands… the list never stops.

5 Likes

As someone who stays on the eastern side of the state, I am absolutely blown away by the amount of quality, affordable golf courses in the Triad. I go up to Greensboro off & on every Summer with my BIL for the State Coaching Clinic. The green for said golf courses are unbelievable. It cannot be beat for the money…

3 Likes

You left off Jimmytown, but thats ok. Ill be happy to show you around during our match.

1 Like

As a self-proclaimed muni lover… will you forgive me, Stretch? Jamestown Park is AWESOME. The back in particular is so fun.

2 Likes

You have totally redeemed yourself. Thank you and Godspeed.

I had forgotten about that reference, great pull.

Hey @Swing_hard_and_hope - I am fairly confident I submitted my form for this but don’t see my name anywhere. Is there any room left?

1 Like

Reminder to those outstanding to pay the $25 entrance fee.

@JohnP
@papetras
@BarnacleRob
@MrRyPenn MrRyPenn
@Jnglds
@Nsandila
@iPress
Ty Cooper?
@deez_nauts
@stephenjedwards
YHM

2 Likes

@MrRyPenn you are the last person I am waiting on here.

Sent! Sorry!

1 Like

WE ARE LIVE the 2023 CLC Matchplay is officially on!

70 competitors across 16 pods will compete over the coming months. The expectation is that by July 1 you will have played each person in your pod.

Actions

1. Update the [tracker] one person in your pod will need to create a new tab on the bottom to track your pod. (2023 CLC Matchplay Tracker - Google Sheets)
  2. Play your matches! Set up a match and battle it out.
  3. Provide a writeup, its more fun when you come back in here and share what happened in the match, this can be quick or detailed, but always good to see.

The Play

• Full handicaps will be used
  • Competitors can choose which tee they would like to play from during competition, but we all know it makes it a little better if both competitors play from the same tee
  • During the group stage the competition can be ended in a tie. Please see “The Points” section for more information.

The Points

Group Stage

• Winning your match = 3 points
  • Tie match after 18 = 1.5 to each competitor
    • The competitors can agree BEFORE their match to a “tiebreak”. This can be anything i.e. one additional hole, putting competition, flip of a tee, etc. (feel free to get creative)
    • IF this occurs winner of the “tiebreak” will get 2 points, 1 point for the loser
  • Lost match = 0 points
  • Match not conducted in the timeframe = .5 point per competitor

Knockout Stage

• In the round of 32 those who won their pod will only face competitors who finished second in their pod to advance. The pod winners will start with a .5 hole lead on the day. This means that if the day ends in a tie, or the match is not able to be scheduled in the timeframe the higher seed will advance.
  • The round of 16 will no longer give competitors an advantage and will be a simple 18 hole match to determine the winner. This can not end in a tie, but is on the competitors to determine their “tiebreak” before the round. If you can not make your match happen in the 3 weeks we will work together to come up with a plan.
  • Elite 8, and final 4 details will be shared as we get closer to those times.

The Guidelines

• You are asked to notify this thread when your match has been scheduled and occurred. Pictures, stories, and details are encouraged.
  • A suggestion to schedule your match, go with the “3 and 1 approach.” One competitor can offer three options of courses. The other competitor can narrow it down to the course of choice. This way both sides are happy with no one gaining a significant advantage.
  • You are required to notify the group of the result in order to update the tracker linked above
  • In case of a tiebreak on points please notify the result of the match when submitting - for example DBD 1UP over RUDoubleD
  • If you are unable to schedule you match in the given timeframe you will be awarded a “tie” as the result.
  • Play the ball down, unless conditions force otherwise and agreed upon by both competitors
  • Being matchplay, you can concede a hole at any time. Pump a couple OB you can tell your competitor the hole is theirs and move to the next hole.
  • Also do not scoop a putt up until your competitor has let you know it is good, we don’t want any Kuchar v. Sergio situations out there.
  • And of course, when in doubt, don’t be scummy.
13 Likes

To kick off pod 13 play @Jeff_M and I will be battling at Mimosa Hills tomorrow during the QCH Mimosa Madness event.

I believe this will be the first time either of us will be playing this Ross gem.

6 Likes

Play well gents!

2 Likes

Today’s Pod 5 Match between @dmmcgaha and @tigergolftraveler is brought to you by LA Golf – “We’ve got balls!”

We played at The Patriot in Ninety Six, SC. We played the blue/white combo tees, which comes in at a cool 6321 yards. Jimmy was giving Dan seven strokes.

We started on number 10, which is a 405 yard par 4. Dan went left into the fairway bunker, and Jimmy carried the bunker but is blocked out by a tree. Dan navigates an unsuccessful attempt to exit the bunker with a long club, and comes up short. Jimmy punches out just over the green with his brand new clubs, and gets up and down for par, Jimmy 1 up.

Daniel gets a pop on hole 11, and hits the patented fairway finder drive. Jimmy goes left into US Open style rough and punches out but gets an unfortunate bounce into some long stuff beyond the green. Daniel’s second shot comes up short of the green, landing in some sodded area that hadn’t quite grown in. Jimmy and the third playing observer are on the search for his ball, while Daniel takes two chips to get on the green… above the hole. More on this in a moment. In the final seconds before abandoning the search, Jimmy’s ball is found by our third. Jimmy gets out, back near the front of the green. He takes three putts to get in, scoring a 6. The greens were rolling, and Daniel also takes three putts to score a 7 for six, halving the hole and avoiding the Ames.

Hole 12 is a short par 4, and both players find the fairway. There’s a strong tailwind, and Daniel flies the green into a bunker. Jimmy hits center green, and takes two putts to get in. Daniel’s bunker exit does not go well, and he makes double. Jimmy 2 up through 3.

The thirteenth hole, an uphill par 5, is playing 496 today. Both players are in the fairway again, with Jimmy having about a 60 yard advantage. Daniel hits in front of the greenside bunkers, and Jimmy goes left of them with a better angle to chip. It takes both players three shots from around the green to get in, and the hole is halved. Jimmy still 2 up.

Hole fourteen goes from left to right, with fairway bunkers on each side. Jimmy has the honors, so he hits his drive into the left fairway bunker. Daniel goes into the right rough, and has one (1) pine tree obfuscating his view of the hole. Daniel’s away for the second shot, and he hits over the tree and onto the green, leaving about a 10 foot birdie putt. Jimmy’s forced to be aggressive, but takes two shots to get out of the bunker. He hits an excellent greenside chip for a tap in bogey. Daniel manages a two putt for his first win. @tigergolftraveler 1 up.

Hole 15 is a par 3 playing 167. Daniel hits his tee shot left of the pin, against the collar of the green with about 40 feet left. Jimmy’s tee shot is short, with a sharp front of the green against him. Jimmy elects to putt up the hill, and it doesn’t quite make it. His second attempt is much better, and he again has a tap in bogey. Daniel navigates a two putt, and wins the hole. Match is AS.

Hole 16 is a dogleg left, and Daniel’s getting a shot here. Both drives are in the fairway, and Daniel’s shot from 167 goes long of the green, into the pond behind. Jimmy’s shot from 115 comes up short and right in the bunker. Jimmy’s bunker shot rolls out to about 12 feet, and he two putts for bogey. Daniel takes his drop in front of the pond, and hits a wedge up to about 8 feet. He makes the putt for a 5 net 4, and takes his first lead. Daniel 1 up.

The seventeenth hole is a 187 yard par 3 over water, and Daniel hit his tee shot into the water. Jimmy hits his into the greenside bunker, and that’s where Daniel’s provisional ends up as well. Jimmy’s bunker shot gets inside two feet, and he wins that hole handily. Back to all square.

The 18th hole is an uphill par 5 playing 472. Neither player hits the green with their 3rd shot, and both players take a chip and two putts to get in. Both players make bogey, and the match remains all square.

We turn back to the first, and Daniel misses the fairway right and is left with 150 out. Jimmy hits a great drive, and is inside 100 yards. Both players come up short with their second shots, and manage to get up and down for par to stay tied.

The second hole moves from right to left and shares a fairway with the 3rd hole, which means Jimmy technically hit the fairway, even if it was in front of a different tee box. His second shot comes up short, his third shot is long of the green, and his chip doesn’t make it back. Daniel is on the green putting for par, and Jimmy concedes the hole. Daniel 1 up.

Playing 321 yards, the third hole is one of the most challenging on the course. It has a distinct turtleback green which Jimmy manages to reach in two. Daniel’s second shot is a shank, and he manages to get his third on the green. He’s getting a shot here, but Jimmy sinks a long birdie putt, and Daniel can’t match, so we’re back to even.

The par 3 fourth is playing 157 yards. It has a creek running down the left and in front. Jimmy hits his shot left of the creek (like bernie sanders left), and Daniel is on the green, long of the hole. Jimmy’s chip is about 20 feet past the hole, leaving him a downhill left to right putt. Daniel’s putt is moving right to left downhill, and he puts it in gimme range. Jimmy answers with a BOMB from 20 feet to keep the match even.

As Jimmy was preparing to chip, lightning struck within 8 miles and the tournament director sounded the horn. We agreed to tie the match after an exciting back and forth. There were five holes remaining (where @dmmcgaha was getting three strokes yikes) but it was a good call to end the match there as the skies opened up about 10 minutes later.

6 Likes

Bernie Sanders left :rofl:

1 Like