The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: PODS are live... Get to playing those matches

Just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t break anything. Pod 3 Tracker tab created and updated.

Can’t get no more legit than what the USGA provides :slight_smile:
@Swing_hard_and_hope 3 kids playing baseball starting at beginning of March and still going on is my excuse lol…We are going to make it happen though.

We are playing a one match to decide them all death match next week.

Thanks commish!

1 Like

Love this. Other pods should take notes…

1 Like

@needforspieth and I have a match scheduled for this Friday. If we can get @JohnP to stop spending Lauren’s T16 (at a major) prize money for a bit, we will pull him in too.

2 Likes

I’m insulted my undefeated record didn’t warrant a mention. Absolute crowning of @BrooklynAJ. Thank you for the bulletin board (aka: family fridge) material.

1 Like

Daniel And I playing on Sunday afternoon at Greenwood CC!

1 Like

@JNorwoodFive and I had a rain shortened match at Castle Bay in Hampstead, @Easydeal officiating the match.

1. Short par 4: Both Josh and I go left into the shit taking drops. Josh misses approach right and fails to get up and down. Hit approach to 10-15 feet and make it for par. 1 up.
  2. Another short 4: Hit 6 iron to the 100 yard marker, Josh pulls iron left into the ditch. Hit wedge to 20-30 feet comfy 2 putt par. Josh drops and misses right, then makes a great up and down for 5 for a 4 and a push.
  3. Par 3: Hit it left of green, Josh gets caught up in high grass in the face of the bunker pin high right. I fail to get up and down, Josh hits a great chip out and 2 putts for a 4 for 3 and the win. Even.
  4. Long Par 5: Josh splits the middle of the fairway, I go left into the shit. After 2 whacks from the tall grass the hole is all but lost. Josh 6 for 5 and me a 7. 1 down.
  5. Par 3: Josh pin high just over the water right of the green, me to 15-20 long left. Josh hits great chip to 5-8 feet makes the putt for 3 for 2. 2 down.
  6. Short par 4: Both Josh and I go WAY left into the shit. I drop miss green get up and down for 5. Josh hacks it out of the tall grass makes 5 for the push.
  7. Long Par 4: Josh down the middle again, I miss right into the shit. To add insult to injury Josh makes an artsy up and down for par for net birdie, I make 5. Down 3.
  8. Par 5 with water and shit everywhere. Josh goes water left, I hit 2 iron down the middle. Josh drops and hits it to 100 out. Off brand but I lay up to 80ish yards. Hit it to 10 feet make the birdie and Josh fails to get up and down for 5 for a 4. 2 down.
  9. Short Par 4: I hit driver short right of green, Josh hits it down the left fairway. Josh misses green pin high right. Wimpy pitch for me to 15 feet up hill. Comfy 2 putt for the win. 1 down.
  10. Short Par 4: Driver down the right fairway for me, Josh down the middle. All hell lets loose and it starts pouring. Josh goes long with a wedge, I pitch on from 60 yards to about 10 feet. Match even.
    At this point we head for the clubhouse soaking wet. Wait 20 minutes, have a beer. At that time the sky is clearing for a brief moment. @Easydeal recommends playing 18, 3 club challenge for all the marbles.
  11. 250 yard Par 4: I hit 2 iron to about 12-15 feet, Josh short of the green in the sand with a 4 iron. The bunkers were VERY wet, Josh gets out to 20ish feet for birdie. Misses putt, I burn the edge for eagle and tap in for birdie to complete the comeback and win the match.

Not an ideal day for golf but lots of fun with great people!

Josh and I also ran a retro active match from Pine Valley last week at the Big Wright Miss. He ended up winning that match 2 up.

6 Likes

Pod 9 action resumed today with a formidable match between @BarnacleRob ( R ) and @dmmcgaha (D) at Greenwood Country Club, Greenwood, SC (A George Cobb design). @Dmmcgaha received 4 strokes.The sun was warm and the grass was green. Without any further distractions or hyperbole, Let’s launch ‘em!

Hole 1 Par 5: D lands in the fairway, R hooks left. D hits second shot left, R squeaks his drive out from the trees to the right rough. R puts his third on, D is in the left bunker. R makes comfy par, D makes 6. R +1

Hole 2 Par 3: R hits 5 iron long to the back fringe, D lands short of the green. D chips to 3 feet, putt is conceded. R bumps to 5 feet, misses the putt. Match AS

Hole 3 Par 4, D strokes: D hits his drive left, R bombs one into the fairway. D, stroking, goes for the hero shot from the woods and ends up taking a couple more to get to the green. R lands his second short, but hits the pin on his third to 1 ft. Putt is conceded. D makes 6 for five, R +1

Hole 4 Par 4:

D’s drive hits the fairway, R pulls one left. Almost too far left. R nearly whiffs from under some thiccccc brush, but puts it back in play. D lands his 2nd short of the green. Both players go downhill from here and halve the whole with matching 6’s. R +1

Hole 5 Par 5, D strokes:

D pulls his drive left of the senior tees and convinces R to slice his drive 100 yards right for good measure. D pipes second down the fairway. R flosses some trees with a knifey 3 iron that gets caught up in a magnolia. R’s 3rd ends up back left of the green. D lands his third short. R chips to 10 feet, 2 putts for 6, D chips his up and 3 putts for 7 for 6, tying the hole. R +1

Hole 6 Par 3:

R toes a 6 iron but lands on the front of the green, some 55 ft from the hole. D puts his tee shot in the drink. D’s third lands about 25 feet short. D misses his 4th and is in for 5. R still hasn’t figured out how to putt, and takes 3 to get in with 4. R +2

Hole 7 Par 4:

Both players hit the fairway and the green on they’re 1st and 2nd shots, respectively. D makes par, R 3 putts for bogey, R +1

Hole 8 Par 4:

D aims left and cuts one right to the center of the fairway. R aims toward the right, expecting a pull, and pushes it right toward 9 tee. Nobody dies. Both players fail to make the green on their second shots. Once on the green, D 3 putts for 6, R 2 putts for 5, R +2

Hole 9 Par 4:

In a moment of what appeared to be déjà vu, but wasn’t, D aims left and cuts one right to the center of the fairway. D explains to R that right is a bad choice, so R pulls one left into the pines. R knuckles a 3 iron off the hosel to the right rough. D puts his 2nd to the front of the green. D makes par, R bogeys, R +1

Hole 10 Par 4, D strokes:

D puts his drive in the fairway but is 200 out. R puts his ball in the fairway with about 130 out. D plays plinko in the hardwoods on the left and lands in the creek. R puts his second to 20 feet. R makes for, D makes 6 for 5, R +2

Hole 11 Par 4:

Both drives end up in the fairway. R puts his second on the green. D lands his second short and takes a couple to get to the putting surface. R wins the hole with 4. R +3

Hole 12 Par 4, D strokes:

D puts his drive in the fairway. R pushes his drive right. Both fail to make the green in two, but both leave with 5. D is 5 for 4, R +2.

Hole 13 Par 4:

D plays his ball down the middle. R hugs the OB on the right, but stays safe. D plays his second short. R lands his 2nd over the green. R chips to 6 feet and makes the putt. D chips his 3rd up and 2 putts. R +3

Hole 14 Par 3:

R land his tee shot hole high, 30 ft left. D lands in the left bunker. D hits a nice bunker shot to 15 ft and 3 putts. R also 3 putts but squeaks out a win. R +4

Hole 15 Par 5:

R puts his tee shot down the middle. D pulls his left and short. D bunts his ball down the lefthand side a couple times until he is about 180 out. R, 225 out, lays up (audible gasp). D puts his next up into a tree that promptly spits it out into the pond. R blades a PW into the water from 130 out. Hitting 5, R chips to 6 feet and sinks the putt for 6. D makes 8. R wins the match 5 and 3.

The duo finished out the loop and were able to get the round in in under 3:18! All-in-all it was a great day. The course was in great shape and as always, @dmmcgaha was a gracious host. Can’t wait to tee it up again soon!

4 Likes

I got four strokes and Robby shot 81. My goose was cooked

1 Like

What did you think of Castle Bay? I played it a few times when I was at UNCW.

1 Like

Not a bad track, mostly wide open with some quirk on the back. A course you could go low on if you were playing well.

Pod 13 got together on Sunday at Forest Oaks in Greensboro, which hosted the Greater Greensboro Open from 1977-2007.

Hot day but a great time out there with @rhoward @RDUgolfer and @Fore20

As the high handicapper of the group, I was getting 13 off @RDUgolfer, 10 off @Fore20, and 9 off @rhoward.

Fore20 beat rhoward 5 and 3 and RDUGolfer 2 and 1. Against me, I was able to square the match with a 5 net 4 on the par 5 18th.

RDUGolfer beat rhoward 3 and 1. Against me, I was able to win 1 Up with a 5 net 4 on 18.

Again, with the 5 net 4 on 18, I was able to finish all square against rhoward.

Pod 13 almost done. All that remains is Fore20’s second match against rhoward and RDUGolfer

Watch this space for updates on that before 7/15!

3 Likes

Me, @westerj12 and @yungbunzz locked horns at Pinehurst #1 yesterday.

Before you accuse me of homerism, I offered to play elsewhere, but the gang was interested in seeing another of the Resort courses. So it goes!

I was giving 7 to Wester, and 4 to the Bunzz. Bunzz gave three to Wester.

I was down early in both matches. Bunzz developed, in his words, a case of the lefts in the middle of the round, which allowed me to turn it around and build a lead. I closed it out 4 & 3.

Wester played great - a majestic 5 iron from under a tree on the par 4 sixth hole was one of the best shots I’ve ever seen. I managed to sneak in a birdie to win the hole, but damn, that was nice.

We were back and forth until the 16th, which Wester won with a net par to my double to go one up. I got religion from there and managed two nice birdies to snatch one away - Wester made pars on the last two so rightfully felt a little snakebit. I snuck out of there One Up.

Wester and Bunzz were back and forth all day - Bunzz fixed his lefts pretty well the last three holes to match Wester’s good play, and it ended All Square.

Great day out there - we were joined by @Harper who always makes the round fun. #1 remains undefeated in the vibes category.

4 Likes

I must say again, the shot @AirMailWedges hit on the 18th with all the marbles on the line was incredible. A deserving winner to say the least…

1 Like

Castle Bay has always been one of my favorites, especially their greens. However, it has been 2-3 years since I played it and the greens unfortunately left a lot to be desired. They did punch 2-3 weeks ago but still they were far less than ideal. I believe @Easydeal said the greens were about 2 years old so I cannot wait to go back when they are healed and rolling. I have typically scored well there but on this day the fairways were practically non-existent for most of my tee shots which equated to higher scores. I told @AirMailWedges I lost more balls in 3 holes than I did the entire weekend at PV lol…

2 Likes

Being 1up on Andy standing on 17 tee was nerve-wracking. I gave a fist pump when my 8 foot par putt dropped on 17 only to watch Andy, who hit his approach to about 4 feet, sink the birdie. Then on 18 I watched Andy again drain a 4-5 foot birdie for the win. It was a very even match the entire way and a hell of a lot of fun playing Andy and Chris.

I might have declared my 5 iron on the 6th hole the greatest 5 iron in golf history too. Apologies to anyone who thinks they have hit a better one.

As in all golf rounds, you look back and think of one shot or one hole that might have made a difference. For me it was the 3-putt from 6 feet on 12 that resulted in a halve with Andy on that hole.

Bunzz was rolling early but the Duck Hook beer he downed in one hole on 10 might have got to him more than he thought because thats when the lefts started. It allowed me to get back in it and get to AS but he scrambled pretty hard on the last 3 holes to keep it there and not allow me a chance to pick one off.

Pinehurst #1 is a fun course too. It had been 8ish years since I had played it and would highly recommend it for anyone visiting Pinehurst.

2 Likes

Love seeing all the matches happen… With that being said folks have until 7/17 at midnight so that way we have 2 more weekends to make it work.

Monday 7/18 I’ll spend the time setting up the bracket play!

4 Likes

Pod 8 - SC East was started and concluded on a very hot day in July at [redacted].

Unfortunately due to poor planning, work schedules being hectic and summer travels we decided on a one time death match to decide our pod. In even more unfortunate news the aforementioned work removed one opponent and left a man to man match to decide the pod between @pe2 and myself.

After hitting 8 balls to warm up and a rush to the first tee we both tugged our drives left. @pe2 in a bunker and me in the left rough. A brutal lip out and subsequent par, I left the green 1 up.

Trading places on hole 2 my fairway bunker shot left me with 20’ and my opponent on the front edge - I rolled in a birdie…2 up.

The third - a short par 3 - another birdie putt holed by yours truly. 3 up through 3 (IS THIS ANY GOOD?!?!) The crowd shouted!

On to the 4th tee and another piped drive by myself and the crowds beginning to whisper. Can he do it?

The sad story is I could not.

After 9 holes I was 3up.

My steady opponent took advantage of some untimely bogeys and left short birdie putts to get to 1 down after a 16.

We step to the 17th Tee and both hit poor drives…It’s almost like we are not professionals. After some pillow fighting and me not grabbing the bull by the horns if you will we move to the 18th tee me remaining 1 up.

@pe2 - Pipped a drive 235 out to the par 5.

Me - pipped drive 215 out to the par 5 finisher.

My opponent chose 5 wood and off the face it was a beaut. Unfortunately it did not hold the false front and left him just off the green putting for eagle.

I hit (if I say so myself) a stunning bullet 4 iron that landed 5’ from the pin and rolled just passed the hole to leave me a 15’ downhill slider for eagle.

My opponent as expected gave his eagle roll a valiant effort leaving himself a tricky 10’ side hill birdie putt which of course he holed because he is classy like that.

My eagle putt grazed by the hole and with a tap in birdie I won our match 1 up.

Always a good day to play with fellow CLC guis and friends.

With a new driver on the way and recently readjusted irons and putter to match my swing needs I pity the person who I match up against next. See you all in the championship.

8 Likes

Friday was a match with the only pod opponent I hadn’t played yet. @Carmstrong32 was kind enough to flex the new CC membership and host me out at Hasentree.

First time at the Faz designed north Raleigh club for both of us. It was a very impressive place and loved every minute of it.

I was giving up 3 strokes and we played from the 1 up.

First hole @Carmstrong32 was inches away from chipping in for birdie to steal my heart out of my chest early, but it just lipped out and we both made par.

I want to share the dramatics hole by hole, but am about to take off on a flight so gonna skip to the end for now. Chris played solid, we each had some birdies, and I think only one bogey won a hole. It was about as good I as I can possibly play. I was +1 through 14 when I closed him out 5&4.

In true handicap maintenance form I went on to bogey 3 of the last 4 like a dummy….

Had a great time and would recommend the course to anyone (but don’t walk it).

2 Likes