It is often said that matchplay offers competitors the purest form of golf. The way the game was intended to be played. It is also rumored that North Carolina offers the purest golf courses this side of the pond. Well why not bring those two things together for a glorious competition shared amongst friends?
Link to sign up: https://forms.gle/qiPd9KJHc7aqpuHe6
The CLC Matchplay will be a 10-12 week long event consisting of competition in and around the “Carolinas” region. The goal is to have a field of 64 competitors. These competitors, based on regional preference, will be placed into pods for our “group stage” competition.
The deadline for signup at the link above is 6/25 at 11:59PM Eastern.
Points will be awarded during the group stage and the top 2 group finishers will advance to the knockout stage of the competition.
- June 27 - August 8th
- You will have 6 weeks to meet up with your pod and play each of your three matches
Round of 32
- August 9 - August 22
- You will have 2 weeks to play your match
Round of 16
- August 23 - September 6th
- You will have 2 weeks to play your match.
Elite 8, and Final 4
- Details will be shared as we get closer to the time for these, ideally these will be regionally
- Full handicaps will be used - please make sure you have a legitimate handicap when signing up
- Competitors can choose which tee they would like to play from during competition, but we all know it makes it a little better if both competitors play from the same tee
- During the group stage the competition can be ended in a tie. Please see “The Points” section for more information.
- An 18 hole match is suggested, but if needed for time purposes and agreed on by both competitors a 9 hole match will be allowed.
- Winning your match = 3 points
- Tie match after 18 = 1.5 to each competitor
- The competitors can agree BEFORE their match to a “tiebreak”. This can be anything i.e. one additional hole, putting competition, flip of a tee, etc. (feel free to get creative)
- IF this occurs winner of the “tiebreak” will get 2 points, 1 point for the loser
- Lost match = 0 points
- Match not conducted in the timeframe = 1 point per competitor
- In the round of 32 those who won their pod will only face competitors who finished second in their pod to advance. The pod winners will start with a .5 hole lead on the day. This means that if the day ends in a tie, or the match is not able to be scheduled in the timeframe the higher seed will advance.
- The round of 16 will no longer give competitors an advantage and will be a simple 18 hole match to determine the winner. This can not end in a tie, but is on the competitors to determine their “tiebreak” before the round.
- Elite 8, and final 4 details will be shared as we get closer to those times.
- You are asked to notify this thread when your match has been scheduled and occurred. Pictures, stories, and details are encouraged.
- You are required to notify the commissioner of the result in order to update the Matchplay leaderboard (spreadsheet).
- In case of a tiebreak on points please notify the result of the match when submitting - for example DBD 1UP over RUDoubleD
- If you are unable to schedule you match in the given timeframe you will be awarded a “tie” as the result.
- Play the ball down, unless conditions force otherwise and agreed upon by both competitors
- Being matchplay, you can concede a hole at any time. Pump a couple OB you can tell your competitor the hole is there and move to the next hole.
- Also do not scoop a putt up until your competitor has let you know it is good, we don’t want any Kuchar v. Sergio situations out there.
- And of course, when in doubt, don’t be scummy.