The CLC Matchplay - Season 4: PODS are live... Get to playing those matches

The Brief

It is often said that matchplay offers competitors the purest form of golf. The way the game was intended to be played. It is also rumored that North Carolina offers the purest golf courses this side of the pond. Well why not bring those two things together for a glorious competition shared amongst friends?

Link to sign up: https://forms.gle/qiPd9KJHc7aqpuHe6

The Details

The CLC Matchplay will be a 10-12 week long event consisting of competition in and around the “Carolinas” region. The goal is to have a field of 64 competitors. These competitors, based on regional preference, will be placed into pods for our “group stage” competition.

The deadline for signup at the link above is 6/25 at 11:59PM Eastern.

Points will be awarded during the group stage and the top 2 group finishers will advance to the knockout stage of the competition.

Group Stage

• June 27 - August 8th
  • You will have 6 weeks to meet up with your pod and play each of your three matches

Round of 32

• August 9 - August 22
  • You will have 2 weeks to play your match

Round of 16

• August 23 - September 6th
  • You will have 2 weeks to play your match.

Elite 8, and Final 4

• Details will be shared as we get closer to the time for these, ideally these will be regionally

The Matchplay

• Full handicaps will be used - please make sure you have a legitimate handicap when signing up
  • Competitors can choose which tee they would like to play from during competition, but we all know it makes it a little better if both competitors play from the same tee
  • During the group stage the competition can be ended in a tie. Please see “The Points” section for more information.
  • An 18 hole match is suggested, but if needed for time purposes and agreed on by both competitors a 9 hole match will be allowed.

The Points

Group Stage

• Winning your match = 3 points
  • Tie match after 18 = 1.5 to each competitor
    • The competitors can agree BEFORE their match to a “tiebreak”. This can be anything i.e. one additional hole, putting competition, flip of a tee, etc. (feel free to get creative)
    • IF this occurs winner of the “tiebreak” will get 2 points, 1 point for the loser
  • Lost match = 0 points
  • Match not conducted in the timeframe = 1 point per competitor

Knockout Stage

• In the round of 32 those who won their pod will only face competitors who finished second in their pod to advance. The pod winners will start with a .5 hole lead on the day. This means that if the day ends in a tie, or the match is not able to be scheduled in the timeframe the higher seed will advance.
  • The round of 16 will no longer give competitors an advantage and will be a simple 18 hole match to determine the winner. This can not end in a tie, but is on the competitors to determine their “tiebreak” before the round.
  • Elite 8, and final 4 details will be shared as we get closer to those times.

The Guidelines

• You are asked to notify this thread when your match has been scheduled and occurred. Pictures, stories, and details are encouraged.
  • You are required to notify the commissioner of the result in order to update the Matchplay leaderboard (spreadsheet).
  • In case of a tiebreak on points please notify the result of the match when submitting - for example DBD 1UP over RUDoubleD
  • If you are unable to schedule you match in the given timeframe you will be awarded a “tie” as the result.
  • Play the ball down, unless conditions force otherwise and agreed upon by both competitors
  • Being matchplay, you can concede a hole at any time. Pump a couple OB you can tell your competitor the hole is there and move to the next hole.
  • Also do not scoop a putt up until your competitor has let you know it is good, we don’t want any Kuchar v. Sergio situations out there.
  • And of course, when in doubt, don’t be scummy.
19 Likes

Etch my name on the damn trophy already!

5 Likes

Puuuuumped

But now I’m realizing the Sandhills pod will go through @rkris who has nothing to do this summer but practice and watch his young killers annihilate the competition.

We’ll, it was a nice tournament.

8 Likes

Ahead of all the horrible things that I might say to opponents, I’d like to apologise to ABSOLUTELY NOBODY.

8 Likes

When is our Match. Charlottes “premier” player is coming for you

4 Likes

since I know your schedule, it will be on a weekend

2 Likes

Only if we play at Occoneechee.

Living that #hotdocsummer, but I recognize gamesmanship when I see it.

3 Likes

This is gonna be fun! Love me some match play.

1 Like

Update for the people. We now have a full field of 64!!! Working on the logistics of the bracket / groups and will get it out tonight or tomorrow.

If folks want to continue to sign up I am sure an alternate list could be helpful, but wanted to make sure it was known if you are signing up there might not be a slot.

9 Likes

There’s a VERY slim chance I will be able to get in 3 matches within the last week of the first round time frame (out of town til then), so someone can have my spot (even though I have a sparkling 2-0 record in CLC match plays)

1 Like

Thanks for the update. We had one person on the alternate list, so I can slot them into your slot.

Downside: you aren’t getting to play.

Upside: you keep a perfect record in tact.

2 Likes

say slot more

1 Like
3 Likes

Hey, if there are any alternates can you sub someone in for me? Just found out I’m going to be needing wrist surgery sometime during the timeframe of this unfortunately. Sorry for the late notice. (If there aren’t any alternates I can probably play and likely lose in my pod pre surgery)

Can I request @redsox3g2 in my pod if this happens?

1 Like

Haha Bring it on!

Good Afternoon competitors - it’s time to #getinvolved. We have a full field of 64. We have a number of regions in the Carolinas represented and we have a little over 6 weeks to have 96 matches occur!

A couple of reminders / tips:

• Group stage will last June 23 - August 8th
  • 3 points available each match played. 3 for win, 0 for loss, 1.5 for ties (or 2 and 1 if tiebreak is decided)
    • Each player gets 1 point if no match occurs
  • You are asked to notify this thread when your match has been scheduled and occurred. Pictures, stories, and details are encouraged.
  • A suggestion to schedule your match, go with the “3 and 1 approach.” One competitor can offer three options of courses. The other competitor can narrow it down to the course of choice.

Here is a link to the group play score tracker: https://score7.io/7migd8io9d/overview

And a link to the google sheet where I am organizing: CLC Matchplay - Google Sheets

Of course what you all have been asking for the groups:

Group A - Triangle
pluds26
dmcelhennon
Andrew B.
Justin B.

Group B - Triangle
Are_you_doubled_D
Billythekid
turtle812
westerj12

Group C - Triangle
NCLeft
Redsox3g2
Swing_hard_and_hope
ColoniusFunk

Group D - Triangle
GWB15
Smidler
Pmgolf123
JohnP

Group E - Triad
Hawk
very.chipper
Fore20
BCates

Group F - Triad
Grizzly224
Miketerps08
Big Cheese or CLC-Rob M
BlacknGold35

Group G - Triad
Fluff
RDUgolfer
Chris A.
DumpyFlow89

Group H - CLT
JamesHCard
wolfpack888
Deven75
Smallz0r

Group I - CLT
BushwoodCaddie
Hitchings21
Janthon8
AnOldGoatTrack

Group J - CLT
RPruitt
CLTGamecock
Bmasters
Powerfadez

Group K - CLT
stupidflanders
Tylernichols91
FAB7115
tigergolftraveler

Group L - Sandhills
BrooklynAJ
Yungbunzz
Joezwickl
doublebogeydave

Group M - Sandhills
rkris
YH Max
CrucialTaunt
c.mcbride

Group N - Costal
JoeCostello
Airmailwedges
Jnorwood1983
franklinorr

Group O - SC
EFreeCHS
MarkCaldwell
Lukeboatright
BarnacleRob

Group P - SC
tres_carlos
abefroman
charlestondawg
FUwolfpacker

13 Likes

Thanks so much for putting it all together!

2 Likes

@Are_you_double_D @billythekid @turtle812

Anyone want to get a match in around the Hootenanny? I could do Sunday or Monday or Saturday afternoon if you don’t already have a post-Hoot round planned.

If either of you will be in the Oak Island area from 7/10-7/24 then I can get a match in down there too.

1 Like