The Battle for The Big Nut—updates on charity, a sick logo, and street legal duck races!

Hear ye, hear ye. The time is nigh to visit one of the great munis of the Midwest and pledge your fealty. The knights of Ohio Against the World welcome all challengers for the inaugural Battle for the Big Nut. To be played out over 2 days on Sleepy Hollow Golf Course in the Cleveland suburb of Brecksville, OH. Application for NIT spots is pending, and many details are to come. But, tee times are secured. Here’s what is confirmed so far…

Saturday 8/6 Tee times starting at 1:30 PM
Sunday 8/7 First block starting at 8:00 AM and second starting at 1:00 PM. Lunch will be included in the final cost for those playing both rounds that day.
**All blocks have up to 80 spots available. No requirement to play all three rounds. Final format(s) TBD based on final numbers.

The Course Sleepy Hollow Golf Course. Located in Brecksville, OH on the outskirts of Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The course is an easy 30-minute drive from Downtown Cleveland.

Format Quota and match play pitting your hosts OATW against well, The World.

Cost Final cost TBD based on meals and donation. Price for golf alone maxes out at ~160 if one plays all 3 rounds and takes a cart.

Charity The high school golf programs of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. Funds raised will assist with equipment and course access.

Sign up sheet is below along with a couple of articles discussing the host venue. Ohio Against the World looks forward to welcoming you!

14 Likes

How fun! Loved Sleepy Hollow when I visited Cleveland in ‘17!!

3 Likes

This sounds awesome. Is it a play as many rounds as you can kind of thing or must you do all three?

3 Likes

I have the same question - for those of us who can’t do all three rounds, or both days, are there options?

1 Like

Play as many as you can/want.

2 Likes

It’s gonna be a three putt extravaganza. Can’t wait.

1 Like

Damnit. Just looked at my calendar and this is the same weekend I’m doing the Penn-Ohio golf trail. I need updates on all the carnage.

Weekend before the Cleveland Am so they should be dialed.

2 Likes

Ooof. There’s gonna be some serious carnage.

I made a couple of tweaks to the signup sheet. Please check it out, and make sure your round preferences are accurate. Craic on!

This event still full go?

Watch this space. Will be duckracing in the coming days as well to raise money.

We are still a full go. I’ve contacted the course and given back some times, but we can still get a good group out Saturday PM and Sunday AM.

We still need more players sign up to qualify for a NIT spot and some shop credit to give away. If we can get a NIT spot, it’ll be up for grabs in the round with the highest attendance. Other round will be a team completion determined by how many players we have and where everyone’s from. If you want to play Sunday PM we still have times, but that looks like the lowest attendance so it’ll probably be a friendly round.

Re our charity, we are going to be donating all proceeds to the golf program at John Marshall high school in Cleveland. I can’t express how excited their AD was for my call. They have kids using outdated clubs, and lefties who they can’t even find full sets for. After talking to him I’m really excited to give them a check. I think the AD and/or coach will be on hand to help with scoring, raffle, etc.

To start raising money before the event there’ll be duck races starting late next week. Prizes to be duck raced so far include:
A @Geaugolf headcover
3 guest spots at Oberlin GC (an awesome track!) with member @waver82
An Odyssey white hot #7 Stroke Lab putter donated by a Friend of the Program.

Last, shoutout to @PapaZulu for what is a sweet logo! As Tron has always said, no one has seen these guys in the same place at once…

3 Likes

@joecline41
@Browcoww77
@jobu415
@jsauce
@rer145
@professorlefty
@DP123
@MDM
@ryan.palm

Roll call—please take a look at the spreadsheet and update playing preferences. Let me know if any questions. Still holding out hope for a NIT spot and some sweet, sweet shop credit but need to see bump in numbers. So tell your friends!

@evanjill
@racole212
@SRS_One
@prop
@waver82
@JDGAFFLIN

Also, if we don’t get a NIT spot, let’s get silly format wise. Birdie ball, alternating tees, as the wise @jgolf1 once said (I think it was him) “we can do whatever the fuck we want.”

1 Like

Hate to do it, but all summer long my son’s baseball team was 50/50 about playing in an out-of-town ¶ tournament that weekend, and we are now confirmed to play…and I’m one of the coaches, so I need to be there. If something changes I’ll definitely circle back, but for now I’m a WD and updated spreadsheet as such. Sorry Joe…hopefully next year.

1 Like

Damn it…I’m out. :frowning:

I have so many other things (work and non-work) booked the week before and after that taking this time away just is not gonna work for family serenity and sanity. So sorry about this gang. Have a ton of fun out there.

1 Like

Appreciate you guys letting me know. Sleepy has been awesome to work with, and is just releasing blocks as I tell them.

@joecline41
I’m out. Girlfriend is wrecking havoc with golf schedule. Why do I need to go to your out of state family reunion?

1 Like