TBC 10K - TBD whether its TBC or DOA

I loved Gatsby. And yes, Hemingway is a killer. His style is fantastic but some of his stories it didn’t totally line up for me. Moveable Feast is any easy vote for his best stuff.

Any McCarthy fans? The Road? Its an incredible Dad book. One of the few books to legitimately frighten me and also make me tear up. The movie is a great accompaniment.

4 Likes

I’m pretty bummed out by this thread so far today.

who is gonna be the villain today we need a spark around here.

9 Likes

Blood Meridian is absolutely wild one of the best books I’ve ever picked up

3 Likes

Love EMBH. I had never heard that one before. My two year old grandson saying he has a stinky butt and laughing is one of the great joys in my life.

2 Likes

I started that one last summer and put it down after a short time. Can’t remember why. I’ll give er another go.

All this literary talk, a couple good threads to check out if you’re into wholesome, non-clusterfuck threads:

6 Likes

One of my favorite stories (technically a play but it’s much more of a poetic novel) is The Sunset Limited. Just an incredibly visceral read with McCarthy’s voice in full volume.

2 Likes

The Road is awesome

2 Likes

I’ve always been more of a Steinbeck guy, especially his shorter works. The Pearl & Of Mice and Men are great

Apple Music has decided that it most definitely is dad rock. See the bottom right.

2 Likes

I’m also a big fan of All the Pretty Horses great read

1 Like

Does anyone actually read the classics once you are out of school? I always hate that guy who carries a hard back high school assignment down the aisle of an airplane.

Someone will buck their heads. Maybe in this thread, maybe elsewhere but it can’t be forced.

1 Like

Love Cormac McCarthy, especially how fucking bleak his books are. Our hero has lost his girl, his best friend and his horse. It can’t get much worse…oh ok he lost his leg.

3 Likes

All relevant after yesterday’s discussions.

So is this take better or worse than child endangerment?
#DadRockingTo10000

Although I generally leave them in the backpack and read them after arrival at the destination.

4 Likes

Haven’t had the Popeye’s chicken sandwich, but I will not stand for Cookout shake slander. Terrible take.

3 Likes

This is heresy. The popeyes sandwich is the best chicken sammy for any fast food joint hands down.

3 Likes

I was never exposed to reading so take this as an honest question. Why the classics? Would you pull Moby Dick out on a plane?

I read Les Miserables for fun after high school…

(Probably my favorite book btw)

4 Likes