Surfers and Skaters and other Idiots on Boards

Me and @therealmarkymark talk about surfing with somewhat regular frequency, and there was a decent conversation going on in the Strapped SoCal thread for a bit, so I figured we could start a thread for great surf videos. Then I went down a youtube rabbit hole of skate videos in the wake of the THPS announcement and I figured lets just get all of us idiots with bad and dangerous habits in the same thread. @Joezwickl get in here and tell me why these skate videos suck

8 Likes

oh man.

Big skater kid growing up. As much as you could get in bumfuck ND. Built my own board.

High school, big fan of Thrasher and other mags.
College, would ride the local parking ramp, motor around campus and drive out to Park River State Park and climb the fence to ride their pool (and crash mercilessly in the 4inches of water they still had left).

2 Likes

Oh man I had a nostalgia run awhile back trying to find some old 411VM tapes. I guess none of that era made it online.

5 Likes

If you think anything Enjoi/Louie Barletta/ tilt mode stuff sucks can’t help ya

2 Likes

I’m getting a bit tired of @RobertHunter’s nostalgia trips.

I apparently peaked back in 85-87’.

Skater Boi.
D&D Boi. (Basic D&D and AD&D 1st Ed, suck it newbies)
WaterSki boi
Still golfed left handed. Might have been my only hope for getting better.

Do you want to make my late 40’s suck? Keep going.

1 Like

Skating was my first addiction/passion long before golf. Skated from around 1994/5 to 2010 or so. Still follow fairly closely read slap forums listen to skate podcasts. The local park has an “old man night” that my friends try to get me to go to I was just talking with a buddy the other day about setting up a board.

3 Likes

This is the only thing I can contribute to this thread

I might have tried to do an ollie once
5 Likes

A teenage Canadian girl really got me.

You probably don’t know her.

1 Like

Many similarities in skating and golf. Not just within the “sports” themselves but within the industries as well. There’s definitely been a pretty large “woke” movement in skating over the last Id say 7-8 years of people supporting the smaller independent companies as well as the style of skating that’s being more widely accepted. Less big shit more cruising/slappy/just having fun vibes are what’s happening. The Seamus/Jones vibe is like the Politic/Killing Floor/Polar of the skate world

2 Likes

I know exactly where in my parent’s attic my board is. 35 years later.

I have ZERO intention of ever, EVER, touching it again. I’ve seen mutiple 30-40 year old friends end up in the knee clinic.

2 Likes

Definitely don’t want to roll an ankle yikes

1 Like

As a guy who normally rocks a Jones Utility Rover and has a Landyachtz cruiser in the mail right now I feel very attacked

1 Like

I was a big time skater in the late 80s. Like @rka I was an avid fan of Thrasher Magazine and the like. I was a big Powell & Peralta gui. My favorite board of all time was a Christian Hosoi board that I still have in my storage unit. Ha!

I remember the days of Airwalk shoes, Vision clothing, Tracker Trucks, German bearings (way better than American!), mastering the Darkslide, breaking my wrist going off a launch ramp my dad made for me, and Public Image Clothing!

3 Likes

My cool cousins from Colorado introduced my podunk ND ass to skateboarding. They stayed with us for a few weeks one summer in the 80s. All the cool chicks fell for my older cousin. And I tagged along. Oh did I tag along.

That literally got me through high school. That was my initial in. I was the skater guy (by proxy from my super cool cousin). The D&D guy. The metal music guy. The water ski guy.

Which is probably why I ended up in CO over MN when I had a choice after college.

Can we start comparing skaters to golfers?

Rory = P-Rod

Picturesque, effortless style, crazy good when he was young, traded endorsements and comfort for the grind and never quite reached his full potential.

One of my favorite parts:

3 Likes

how good is this fucking deck tho

3 Likes

Anything skate wise has to include Baker 3. Animal status.

But my personall fav is still Girl: Yeah Right. This iconic scene,

5 Likes

Why I’m way in on the smaller independent companies. The Killing Floor is owned by my oldest friend.

1 Like

Literally just posted Paul Rodriguez’s part haha

2 Likes

oh shit haha hell yeah PRod slayed in this

1 Like