Strokes gained --- for a bogey golfer?

Really enjoyed the latest pod, but wondering the practicality of tracking strokes gained data and more importantly, using that data to improve. I’m relatively new to golf and it has been a gradual process to get down to playing bogey-ish golf, but knowing that life, work, kid(s), etc is all competing for course and range time, I’d love anything to focus my practice efforts and maximize what time I have to see the most improvement.

I know Golfmetrics (from Mark Brodie) has a subscription app that looks tough to use. There is the Taylormade MyRoundPro app that is free and has an interface like Arccos/GameGolf (but without the sensors).

Anyone dabbled in something more in depth that the standard stats?

So I’ve thought the same, and after listening to the pod I took my professional skills (excel) and re created a strokes gained calculator. After inputting my home course yardage and creating a data set for the SG benchmark. I got a ROUGH average score of 67.5. Well, I’m not a pro and I don’t think my breakeven SG is 68, so I reverse engineered the whole benchmark to solve for 75, a score that I would always be very pleased with on my home course. I’m assuming I plug in +18 on there and you can figure out the benchmark for bogey golf.

There are severe limitations to this, my home course is not conditioned like the tour, but as @Soly said on the pod I’ve actually now seen really surprising data on what drives my score: I’m a better putter than I thought, and I am devastatingly inaccurate off the tee.

It actually drove me to hack off 1” of a driver shaft to hit more fairways, seeing that’s probabaly my number 1 takeaway from my experiment.

First, I would highly recommend you read Mark Broadie’s book “Every Shot Counts”. It might be a bit data/chart heavy for some people, but if you’re a golf nerd and even remotely interested in stats…you’ll love it. Plus, every section has a really well written summary. So you can skip around the chapters a bit.

Second, as a bogey golfer you can apply many of the recommendations in the book to help your practice routine(s). By understanding the overall percentage that various shots contribute to strokes gained, you can tailor your efforts accordingly. For example, investing significant amounts of time practicing lag putting does not have a return on investment when compared to working on your tee shots or approach shots.

Finally, if you want to take an even deeper dive I would recommend getting Arccos or Game Golf. Both have their pros/cons but the biggest upside is that they automatically record data on your shots during a round. For golfers that want stats like this and have limited time, I think this is invaluable. If you ask most casual golfers, recording traditional stats (# of putts, fairways hit, GIR) is both time consuming on course and provides very little insight into their games strength/weakness. This type of data collection to manually calculate strokes gained (or something resembling it) would be both extremely tedious and detract from the overall enjoyment of a golf round. Just my 2 cents.

I have also created my own template in excel which is probably more complex than you would need it to be. I use the PGA Tour strokes gained data and don’t re-engineer for the courses I play - you can see just as well what your strength and weaknesses are. As for the in round score - I don’t view it as manual, especially if your goal is to get better. At the end of each hole, I simply write down my yardage and lie, and also pace out putts. After the round, I’ll input into excel which takes about 5-10 minutes but well worth the payoff. Learning about strokes gained and the math behind it has really helped me, especially mentally. You learn quickly that your bad shots probably aren’t that bad and your good shots are better than average. Every time I miss an 8 foot putt, I know I’ll make the next one since PGA tour pros only make them 50% of the time.

Below is view of what the data output looks like for 1 round once complete. I also roll it up to view per month and per year.

Strokes%20Gained%20-%20Approach

Strokes%20Gained%20-%20Putt