Some help with Hilton Head Island/Savannah

We’ve got three days to get back to SoFla from the Myrtle Beach World Am so we were thinking about doing a stay and play in the Hilton Head/Sea Island/St. Simons vicinity.

What do people like around here?

St Simons / Sea Island is awesome… but not if you’re on a budget and golf is your top priority. St Simons is great little beach town but the three sweet courses are Sea Island (expensive resort), Fredrica (private), Ocean Forest (Private)… sooo keep that in mind.

1 Like

OK, $100-175 budget for a round, Labor Day weekend. Maybe Hilton Head is better?

Berkley Hall, Wexford, Colleton River, Haig Point, May River, Secession, The Sea Pines courses (including Harbor Town). These courses will require your pro making a call or knowing a member (except for Sea Pines, I think). I especially love the new template holes at Wexford’s redesign.

But if you can’t get on one of those, it can be touch and go with conditioning and pace of play at the other courses in my experience. Old South is cheap and has some cool holes on the back 9.

1 Like

I Agree-check out Old South it’s probably the most fun layout for the best value. It’s a Cool setting in the marshlands, has some amazing views, and a few almost island greens.
Hilton Head National next door to it is a nice course for the money as well.
Also look into the palmetto dunes courses- Trent Jones, Fazio, and Arthur hills.

Skull creek boathouse is a nice place to get drinks and dinner afterwards.

And please dont buy a salty dog t shirt while you’re there.

1 Like

My goodness, boys - Old South! I’ll bring an extra box of Tour Softs.

2 Likes

Take or leave Old South / National, I had fun but I think there’s better on the island.

Palmetto Dunes will be resort heavy (read slow play), but the Jones course is great, Hills is very enjoyable, Fazio is very hard (target golf)

Sea Pines has two other courses than Harbor Town. Heron Point (Dye) is $90, Atlantic Dunes (DLIII) is $170 … both great.

Skullcreek Boathouse is great. Fiesta Fresh is good counter service mexican food. Southern Coney is unreal breakfast.

2 Likes

I know I’m replying to a post from 2 years ago, but I just booked a trip to Palmetto Dunes and it’s time to book tee times. How would you rank the 3 Palmetto Dunes courses?

1 Jones
2 faz
3 AH

Looks like based on your review I should go with Jones then Hills

Good to know. I played Old South last year after I think 3.5" of rain the night before. I am looking forward to heading back.

1 Like

Yes, I like the Jones a lot, super fun. Best of the 3. Play it from the white tees and have a ball. Fazio is pretty difficult for resort golf.

Since my accuracy right now is non-existent I think I’ll go ahead and avoid the Fazio.

Hilton Head National is a really really good course in Hilton Head, and for a really reasonable price. I think I paid $65 for 18 there. Very good low country course.

2 Likes

Headed down for a weekend stay at Daufuskie Island, and will have time for a couple rounds.

Atlantic Dunes the best bang-for-buck at Sea Pines? Better than Heron Point?
I have already decided not to pay for Harbour Town. (I think)

Anyone have any luck getting onto Haig Point On Daufuskie? Looks private, but was considering sending them an email.