Sisterhood of the Traveling Refugee Sunday Bag

Man my fiancé is not going to be happy when she finds out I’m turning our house into a sewing shop on a whim.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Sew faster, Cody wants a pony.

2 Likes

As I mentioned in the Silk Road, all in on this idea. I’d also be pretty stoked if I could carry this thing across to pond (riding in the cockpit of course, and I’ll drop a few liquor minis in the pocket) while I’m working, play a round with it o’er there, and perhaps drop it off to an International Refugee.

1 Like

Man it is nice having an international pilot that can get overseas refugees in on the fun.

Between this bag (and more generally the idea and shenanigans that will ensue) and BCN’s nearing completion the refuge has a lot of excitement in its near future.

This is great, I have so many questions!
How will the bag function design wise to survive its travels around the world, are you looking for input tips?
Will it have a nice box?
Will you post the making process with plans?
Can we add a European bag to the mix?
If so, maybe I can make one to start in the Netherlands and eventually send it over to the RACDG

2 Likes

I’d be happy to help source materials for a European bag. It’ll have to be made out of heavy duty canvas like this:

https://www.attwoollsmanufacturing.co.uk/fabrics/canvas-fabric/407-m-rip-stop-canvas-width-91cm/

If we’re going for a Seamus bag look, we’ll need some heavy duty “Thornproof” tweed:

The strap can be simple cotton canvas webbing with brass hardwear.

I’m not sure what is needed to sew leather to canvas (I’m useless when it comes to sewing, it took me three months to make my simple apron at High School Home Economics), but it’d be great to have a leather base.

Hard to say without seeing it, but that heavy duty canvas looks a little too heavy duty, it’s more like a truck tarp. Something closer to 250-350g, like a waxed cotton (Barbour coat) will be more comfortable to carry and definitely easier to work with. Sewing comes down to having the right needles and an industrial / semi-industrial sewing machine if possible. The Seamus bag is not too complicated body, strap, fasteners and stitching wise. Just takes a bit of planning to know which pieces to stitch first.

Like this stuff:

https://www.britishmillerain.com/product/lickwax/

In 360 g/m.

Having worn a barbour coat for many years, they are not particularly durable so we should probably verge on the heavier side.

1 Like

my first thought was that we have to…AND I MEAN HAVE TO…keep all the tags on this SOB from places played. Like have it be half the weight of the bag by the time it’s all done.

On second thought it’s a terrible idea, which is probably why I love it so so so much.

4 Likes

the bag tag chatter is going to be tremendous

Spot on, looking good.

Thank you for your service. Forget WITB, how about What’s In Your Sewing Corner?

1 Like

How about one permanently fixed metal refuge tag that guys can carve their name into?

1 Like

I was thinking of something here, but the fixed tag for names would either slow the process to a halt, or not get used. I thought maybe just each person attaches THEIR OWN club tag, instead of a place they played…that would work.

Ok, so I’ll answer some questions above. Most standard waxes canvas I found online was around 10oz in weight. I’ve used that weight canvas for some other projects, and it’s just a little too thin and flimsy for what I’m wanting this bag to be, so I ordered 19oz waxed canvas. It should be here Saturday, and I’ll know once I get my hands on it whether it’s just way too thick or will sew OK.

Planning on doing either a leather base or the same waxed canvas since it’s going to be super heavy duty. Leather carry strap, leather tie downs for the bag strap clips too.

I originally thought about doing wool or bark cloth as the “accent” patch (like Seamus does), but am thinking I might just put some lighter 10oz (or less) weight waxed canvas there to cut down the weight a little and still keep it durable since these are going to be experiencing some travel. Wool is cool but I think I want to make this a little more functional than pretty. I’m going to the fabric store tonight after work to get some lighter canvas to accent the bag with.

Here’s my design sketch so far. Honestly it’s nothing pretty but it gives me a good idea of what materials I need and roughly what size pieces I should need. I’ve added a primary pouch along the bottom for balls/tees/misc., a smaller pouch at the top for a scorecard/passing along knickknacks.
Going to add a small pouch for a Tile somewhere as well, along with (potentially) a water bottle carrier and maybe another small pouch for more things to pass along if possible. I don’t want this to weigh a ton, but at the same time it’s going to be a little more robust than your typical sunday bag. Will keep updated as materials arrive and I start sewing :+1:

10 Likes

fake news, that thing is beautiful

1 Like

I personally like the idea of keeping a dedicated notebook inside the scorecard pouch, and each person that uses it marks down the date, where they played, who they played with, their score if they want, and any other info/life advice they feel like passing on.

I like adding our names to it permanently too somehow. A metal tag isn’t going to work, but I’ll think on this.

8 Likes

the notebook is great cause it can be quickly and effortlessly

maybe some kind of patch or tag or permanent record of the bags travels after the tour is done, prior to it hitting the bidding block at the auction when there arent time constraints?

1 Like

So initially I had envisioned making a shadow box with pencils, scorecards, the notebook, etc. to display on the wall for whoever won the auction, if/when we decided to auction it off for a charity of our choosing.

But the more I think about it, the more I think I want this bag to just permanently be in the rota. Like it just never gets taken out of circulation to give it a chance to get to some insane places. We can let this one sort of happen organically how it gets from place to place…maybe it gets passed along at a meetup that happened specifically to give the bag, and maybe it gets mailed via the owner posting up here saying their 2 weeks is up and couldn’t make a meetup happen.

Then next year I’d like to create two brand new bags, that need to be signed up for at the years start in 2 week increments. Some guys can try to time their 2 weeks along side an epic trip, others can hike it around their local munis, but then at the end of the year we’ll create shadow boxes to go alongside the two 2020 bags and auction them off. Then make two new ones again for 2021 and so on.

Can you tell what I spent my entire night doing last night?

9 Likes