Short Iron and Wedge Problems

Some background information before I state my problem/question. I play anywhere from a 3-5 handicap. I have been fitted all the way through the bag at Club Champion within the last 2 years. I drive it well, I actually hit long irons good (although I rarely have to hit them) short game is good, and putting is good for someone who doesn’t ever get to practice it that much. I have always had one problem. Anything from 9 Iron to my sand wedge. I can not figure out how to be consistent with them. My favorite shot with those clubs is hole high but left. I must do that 90% of the time. I have recently had an idea and want to get feedback from anyone! If i could hit one club every shot it would be my 7 iron. The length and weight feel perfect. My question is has anyone ever or known anyone ever to make their 7 iron through sand wedge the same length?

To answer your same-length question: no

To provide an alternative strategy: why not just always try to leave yourself a 7i? Even if it is 7i / 7i…if it ends up better (and you feel more confident) than driver / wedge

Have you tried to figure out why you’re struggling to find consistency? I’m willing to bet that you’re going to have much more luck (& fun) getting (paid) lessons than going single-length

Also, if you feel comfortable, get video of your swing and post it here Fix My Swing - A Safe Place (Non-Roasting Thread)

Thanks for the reply! Yea I didn’t figure it was something anyone did. I do actually tend to lay back on some holes to not be too close, ( I know that sounds bad) but obviously some par 3s are short to where I can’t . I feel like I struggle because the clubs from 9i to 56 degree feel short and lighter than the others. I have the same shafts in my 4 iron through sand wedge. I have gotten one lesson in my life and it actually helped with this problem for a while. I just don’t have the time or money to do that often. I know it’s not normal but I would rather hit 7 iron into a green than PW.

Just aim further right. Problem solved.

9 Likes

Hey man, there is no shame in laying back to a favorite / good yardage. You may take some flak for it, but you do you. Since you may not have the disposable income / desire to dive in to lessons (but do consider it if you can)…seriously consider getting video, even if it is just a dry swing due to quarantine, and post it up to the Fix My Swing thread.

Haha. Good point.

Cool. Thanks for your help!

Bryson Dechambeau

2 Likes

Yea i thought he did every club? I would leave my 6 iron through driver how they are.

Not 7 down but my brother has 9-60 degree all 9 iron length. Shits wild man.

1 Like
  1. Get lie angles checked
  2. If they’re “correct” bend them flat
2 Likes

would not it make sense, that someone who can hit driver and long iron consistently well, has good touch around the green, but has trouble with shorter clubs, has a simple swain or setup flaw that could be easily fixed with a lesson or two.

I’m sure you’re right! I have college golf coach buddies and they say the same. The clubs just feel different the shorter and lighter they get so that’s why I wondered about making them the same length after 7 irons

Have you tried throwing on some lead tape?

Try bending them flatter I play my short irons slightly flatter (well relatively flatter off standard) than my long irons, as loft increases lie angle affects start line more and more.

No. What exactly would I do??

Ok I’ll see about the lies when all this is over. Thank you!

shorter clubs are often heavier, suggest you take out a scale and check this

1 Like

I’ve had a lot of success starting late last season with not taking a full swing with anything more than PW. Essentially taking a half swing (9-3 or L to L swing), not rotating my hips inward as much, and accelerating down and through the ball. It’s taken about 10 yards off per wedge, but I feel like I’m going to hit the shot I want every time. It’s allowed me to not get as flippy with my wedges and takes the big miss out of play.

1 Like

Add lead tape to the back of cavity. It could give you a heavier static weight.

1 Like