"Serious" Golfer with no serious Golfer friends

So I just checked out the Mass Golf Association page and they have some events like you mentioned. I’m going to try to get in one or two of those before the season is over. Thanks for the idea.

Not the easiest to do, but if you see a golfer similar in age or skill on the putting green/ range try just chatting with them. You have to be an outgoing person for this to work, but only you will be the best judge of what kind of golfer you will likely jell with. If the guy or gal seems to know what they are doing, just strike up a conversation and hope they are halfway normal.

This is tough. I used to play a lot by myself when I could. I liked playing alone because I could play 2-3 balls and work on different shots and still play 18 in a couple hours.
There were times that I would get paired up with random guys and most of the time was alright but you end up with a lot of strange people. You have “I drive it 300-320, but with a ‘tail-end’ slice” guy who actually only hits it about 220 and straight slice.
You get the guy who just started playing or the angry club slam guy.

So just be careful when you try to play with random golfers. I did meet a few decent guys that were ok to play with but its few and far between.

I’ve got perspective from both sides, so hopefully there is something here that will help.

When I moved to Columbus, I stopped playing for 3 years because I didn’t have a group and didn’t know how to find one. Luckily, someone invited me from work and it took off from there. Over the next couple years I ended up meeting new people from there and bounced around until I found a home at a semi-private course where it’s hard not to find a game if you show up.

As a guy that now runs pot games every weekend and has been in weekend traveling leagues, all we are ever looking for is good dudes that won’t slow the course down. Don’t get me wrong, there are probably more cliques than groups like mine, but we’re out there and always looking for regulars.

If I move to a new city where joining a club isn’t an option, I’ll start calling the public and semi-private courses and asking if they have any regular games open to new players. I’d keep doing this until I fell into a group that felt comfortable.

Clearly we’ve played before. And you remember how charming I was. :smirk:

Some excellent points here.

1. understand you own pace, later groups in these games tend to be slower then the earlier groups
  2. Find a group that feels comfortable can really depend on the course itself, is it a blue collar club? a white collar club? In College, I worked and played men’s night at a white collar club and really only enjoyed it with a smaller select group. I now play at a more blue collar club and find I can play with a variety of players. Worth finding out before you commit to a season

Sorry to be that guy but I have to go back to something you said… “I have friends that golf, but no golfer friends.”

If you have friends that golf… why don’t you golf with them?

Are they not serious about the game? Do they just own 20 year old clubs and wear cargo shorts at their local muni lol?

Basically. They want to go out on Saturday morning, play a few holes, have a drink after, and go back to the family. They shoot a million, they don’t play by the rules, and would never want to throw $10 or $20 down and play a real game. And there is nothing wrong with that. We have a good time. I’m just looking to meet some people that may take it a little more serious to change it up every now and then.

Got it… so this is probably a long shot (I’m just thinking it’s easier than finding new people…) My foursome every round consists of myself, my brother-in-law, and 2 of my best friends, we all had swung clubs before and enjoyed a few beers during our round but we mostly shot in the 90’s, 100’s

7 years ago we all decided to get good at golf together - we all loved the game, enjoyed each others company (and beer) and helped each other out along the way … today our handicaps range from 7-10 and all of our matches are still super competitive (wolf, better ball, alternate shot, etc). The best part about taking our games to the next level was we did it with people we were already close with which made the bad shots not as bad and the good shots even better.

Again, might be a long shot with your group but it worked out well for us. We throw down $5-$20 depending on the match as well as 5-20 beers along the way all for fun

From Mass I see, I’m from RI (currently living in NH for the summer) and I have the same problem man, it’s not just you haha

Have you looked to see if there are any closed Facebook groups that may fit what you are looking for (assuming you are on Facebook)?

I am into craft beers and I joined a couple of groups in my area where people arrange trades, etc. I have to imagine there are some similar groups for golf.

I had similar issues when I got back into golf in my mid 20s (played seriously in HS but gave it up for other hobbies in college and after). Like you, most of my friends were not serious or competitive about the game. I like in CT and many courses have a public weekend men’s club. There is a fee to join (less than $200 a year), you pay daily fees, every sat and sun the club sets up a tournament with side games, etc. The course gives the first 3ish hours of tee times to the men’s club, we have online sign ups. Some guys have their “group” but many of them just jump into groups as a single, maybe meet others that become a group. It was great, met a lot of good people there.

Seriously…I’m still a beginner trying to dig something out of the dirt astroturf mat, but an enthusiastic one

Nothing against the beginner, because I love seeing more people take up golf, but if you are trying to get a quick round in it is rough getting the guy shooting 150 and picking up after 8-10 strokes

If you have a local public course I would imagine they have some kind of a league or game you could get into, just talk to the people in the pro shop. I used to play in the one were I lived and it was a really good time, I eventually paid the $2-300 yearly dues because I played enough to warrant it and then started playing in all the “member” tournaments they had.

This is important, especially for beginners. You can stay motivated if you have someone to play with.

Blowing up in front of strangers sucks

I’ve played with all level of golfers and have never minded playing with someone that is absolutely terrible. Two rules though: You play quickly and keep a positive attitude.

You can SUCK at golf if you play it quickly. You can’t SUCK at golf and play slowly.

This absolutely means picking up your ball, moving to preferred lies, playing OB as lateral hazard. I’m all for that stuff for beginners and I will say as much when we get started. “Scramble off my ball it you’d like”

Again, no problem getting paired with a beginner as long as they don’t take more than the reasonable time on a given hole.

And this gets turned into a slow play thread. Just like WRX all over.

Anyway, back the original thread. I convinced my regular partners to put a little money on a game. We played a Stableford shamble. Between the two of them, they could conjure up a decent tee shot so we had a fairly competitive game as they could score some points if they were playing from the fairway most holes. They had fun so my Saturday game should get more interesting.

Still waiting to hear from the MGA on the lottery events I entered. Hopefully get into one or two in the fall.

It’s almost scary how much the original post mirrors my experience. Two toddlers, decent player (10 index), and most of my buddies who play can barely break 100 on a good day. Not a private club member and live about 30 minutes from a decent public 18 hole course.

A group of 15 guys from college and I started an annual Ryder Cup style competition. We play 36 on one day (shamble in the morning, alternate shot in the afternoon), and 18 hole singles matches the second day. The losing team buys dinner at a nice steakhouse, which isn’t cheap, so there is an incentive to win.

The guys who live near me got really into it and we started playing regularly after work and/or on weekends. They’ve all started to improve. Some took lessons, others practiced more. As a result, one particularly interested buddy of mine recently shot a 77 at a tough track in the area (taking some cash off me in the process). They now even watch tour events and listen to golf podcasts. It’s pretty incredible.

I would suggest setting up something similar, to give your regular partners a reason to care. Even if the competition does not survive more than a year, it’s an excuse to spend a couple of days with people you don’t get to see enough.