Scottsdale Golf Trip

I’d avoid any of the courses at the Phoenician. Stayed there once and played a few 9s. Other than being in good condition, the courses are completely boring and probably merit inclusion on the Refuge thread devoted to overpriced golf facilities.

I am also planning a trip to Scottsdale. What are you guys opinions on Ak-Chin Southern Dunes, Papago, and Quintero?

Played Southern Dunes last time I was there. Good layout, very good conditions. It’s a little bit of a drive to get there. I wouldn’t go out of my way to play it on future trips, but that’s because there are still a ton of great courses I’ve yet to play out there and not a knock against Southern Dunes itself.

Papago is a fun layout and pretty challenging, also the future home of ASU Golf in a couple years. Papago is city owned and is very convenient to the airport right in the middle of Phoenix. Awesome greens and a tough group of par threes. It’s pretty laid back and can be a fun change of pace.

Would echo the above about Southern Dunes. Awesome conditioning and design. Worth the drive if you’re willing to make it.

Quintero is always impeccably maintained and is verrrrry tough. Devious greens and tough fairways to hit. The views there are great but it will knock you around for 18 holes. it’s quite enjoyable for good players to make shots. I’m not great so it destroys me.

The North Course (O’Odham) is awesome. Grab a yardage book, and enjoy/embrace thinking your way through each hole. The land is incredibly flat, but if anything that makes the design even more impressive.

Strong endorsement here. Love the North at Talking Stick. Playing it this weekend in fact and I’m pumped.