Scotland's newest links - Dumbarnie

I thought there might be some interest in some pictures of Dumbarnie Links which is the newest course in Scotland, due to open fully next year. So far, I believe some journalists, pros and possibly greenstaff have played it.

https://dumbarnielinks.com/golf-course/

It’s just round the coast from Elie and is pitching itself as a competitor to Kingsbarns so quite hefty green fees of around £250.

I’m a member at Elie so took the opportunity to pop round back in August and took some pictures (I’m also a drone pilot and like to do some course photography).

Clive Clarke was the designer and it’s quite interesting, architecturally. They had to build the dunes and then created a lot of holes with two options of the tee. Very much risk/reward and looks fun.

Here are some images.

![DJI_0075|666x500]

20 Likes

Looks sick but what moron named this place?

8 Likes

:joy: I think the course is named after the dunes that was there before. So someone a few hundred years ago.

Great photos but I don’t like the look of it. Split fairways, lots of water, white, shallow bunkers, cheesy risk/reward… You could transpose a lot of that to a desert course and it would fit just as well.

2 Likes

Our group has a Dumbarnie/Elie day scheduled for May. Should be a real contrast in courses.

1 Like

The white sand in those bunkers is really throwing me off and looks out of place compared to everything else. I’m getting way more Kiawah Island vibes than Scotland.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s certainly not a traditional links.
I hadn’t thought about the sand until now, but you’re right - don’t think it’s like anything local! Although, I don’t think they’re all shallow. Definitely some deeper and pot bunkers in there. The drone height wouldn’t do them any favours.

Beautiful pics man, great job. Looks like a fun layout no doubt.

1 Like

Probably best to wait until people have started to play it before making any judgement. Still a winters worth of maturing to get through.

New Scottish courses have been pretty solid of late. Castle Stuart, Kingsbarns, Orange Faced Buffoon Aberdeen. And there’s always room for a bit of variety I guess.

My biggest question is if you had permission to do these, or did you just fly over the wall and crack on?!

I know one of the green keepers there and some of the pictures he’s posted on Twitter have been fantastic looking he said the course has been in fantastic condition for a good while now. But again £250 to play it its getting out of hand Kingbarns over £300 for next season Carnoustie have raised the green fee by £42 to £252 a round thats ridiculous

There is no wall other than that small one you see going across one of the holes (17th).
I walked along the dunes from a nearby caravan park and then launched the drone from the coastal path next to the course. Totally fine as we have a public right to roam in Scotland. Technically, I could have walked right over the course if I wanted. Quite a few guys from Elie have gone over there with their dogs to have a look. Although they’re understandably wary of people walking around if they have heavy duty vehicles and stuff. Clubhouse is still being built.

I have since been in touch with the course manager and designer. They’ve bought a few of my images and are interested in some more work next year but nothing confirmed yet.

1 Like

Good work.

What drone do you have?

Yeah, it’s so expensive. I’m yet to pay that kind of money for a round of golf although I’m relatively young and not yet earning the kind of money where I could justify that (if I ever could…).

Fortunately, they’re offering 60% reduction for Fife residents so hoping to go down there for around £100. I’d be happy paying that and my dad may even pay so I will hopefully get a game there in the next couple of years.

1 Like

Phantom 4 Pro. I occasionally fly an Inspire 2, as well, and might borrow one from work if they did want me to do some more shots. They were asking about the possibility of a longer lens which you can only get on the Inspire.

1 Like

I’ve got a Phantom 3 but just for fun. Haven’t actually used it in ages. My phone is old and shit and the phone battery dies before the drones does! Must update phone.

1 Like

Im hoping to get on for free always good to know greenskeepers and caddies

Why would they choose such a stark white sand for the bunkers? Not my cup of tea.

2 Likes

Weird mixture of pot bunkers and blowout bunkers too. The pot bunkers’ sand should at least match the shade of the blowout bunkers to give it a uniform look. Other than that looks like a fun course.

I see myself thinking two things when I finish my round: I want to try a different strategy on that hole and I want to try the hole on a different day to see a new pin location. Both are positives. I don’t see myself thinking, “man that sand was weird”

1 Like

Alright, so, it’s high time we get this thread bumped - the NLU Scotland group will be seeing this course in April before it officially opens in May!

Sick!

5 Likes