Rules Discussions

tq5o4

He will stand trial for this. Please provide details via DM. I have to run so I can get a lot done before going to play today (not at Pebble Beach, just at Soule Park with the hoi polloi) but Mr. @BeenMacKenzied will see his day in court.

3 Likes

Putts rolling into water hazards is a thing too, then you have to go stroke and distance

1 Like

Hoo boy. @BeenMacKenzied may not like the type of Pinot Noir or glassware they serve in Refugee Prison.

4 Likes

I enjoy the USGA twitter that will post a scenario with a ruling as a poll. Usually get that wrong.

• Take the 30 seconds to read the course rules on the back of the scorecard. Knowing if the course has the “free relief if within two club-lengths from a sprinkler head that is in your line and is within two club-lengths of the green” rule might just save you a stroke. You also may find some other useful info on it.

Or, you may be the “can I talk to the pro a second?” kind of gui who then goes on a ten-minute diatribe with the pro about “You know, the game is somewhat sacred. You can’t just do what you’re doing here. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Right and Honourable Company of Edinburough Golfers who, in 1744, made what many consider to be a perfect document.”

1 Like

Two friends playing together in a member member alt shot hit one of our p5’s in two, and then both of them hit successive putts into the water. So, drive, 3w, putt, penalty, putt, penalty, putt, putt. Eight.

@gohermie just last year at a Tour stop (maybe Spyglass?) hit a P5 in two, putted in the water, then chipped in from the Dz for par.

Shit happens

7 Likes

4 Likes

We had the “2 club lengths if within 2 club lengths of putting surface” rule and I almost quit the golf business over it. We had a greens committee member who was adamant we keep the rule. He also had a brutal case of the chipping yips.

1 Like

sorry. okay. sorry.

Laz, we had a spectator at the 2018 Women’s Open attempt to explain to a rules official why a red line should have been a yellow line. I’m talking waving his arms to flag the guy down during play so he could enlighten him on his mistake.

3 Likes

I reject the USGA and their so-called rules. I only follow the original rules first laid out by the HCOEG.

2 Likes

The thing is; those people are out there- rules savants. They read the Rules of Golf like scripture and they know it from the spirit of the rule all the way through to the application. I know one man (who I won’t name) who was so put-off by his treatment as a marshall at a Tour event that he simply refuses to get involved at any level. A shame, really.

I truly have a lot of work to do here if I’m going to golf this afternoon. Bye folks.

1 Like

I am terrible with rules.

If I go OB, I take one stroke and drop where the ball went out.

Now that you bring this up, I probably should read up while there is nothing else going on.

8 Likes

Then my work here is done

5 Likes

honestly if no one has called you on this then reading further is only going to be bad news

16 Likes

Perfectly legal in Japan, except it’s +2 not 1. Countrywide rule to try to help pace of play. In some spots they even have “re-tees” on the other side of forced carries or water hazards. You get one shot at carrying the hazard, and if your unsuccessful you add 2 and proceed to the “re-tee” on the other side

5 Likes

I live by the “ok, so one in, two out, now I am hitting 3” thinking.

2 Likes

for sure. in my head that reply reads as a joke but ya know, internet :tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like