Roll Call: Wisconsin - Hibernation

thanks for the info! that page appears to be private (which is probably why it didn’t show up when i was searching for a thread about SV). any idea how to get added to that?

$90

15 Likes

Ooof, stuck behind the paywall… tough scene

Trip follow-up. Thanks to everybody who chimed in. I ended up playing:

Erin Hills
Lawsonia Links
Mammoth Dunes
Sand Valley
Sand Box

EH was a very hot day and so I’m not sure I could properly enjoy it. More like pure survival. I do think there were way too many uphill/perched greens. The 12th green felt like a huge relief since it wasn’t that way. The 15th green is crazy perched but in a good way. It was fun to see but I’m not sure I’d go out of my way again, especially given the price.

Lawsonia was really cool. Some features that I’ve never seen on any other course (I’ve never played any other Langford/Moreau). Is it a better course than EH? Probably not, but I’d much rather play it.

Mammoth Dunes was fun, but I preferred Sand Valley. SV is just more engaging. I guess it has a reputation for being quite a bit harder, but I didn’t think it was overly difficult (exception of the 5th green which seems borderline not OK – even though I made par).

All of the courses were well worth playing (duh), but some I’d be more keen to return to.

7 Likes

Had my first Refuge meet-up with @HawksInWI. He was kind enough to bring me onto The Golf Club at Cedar Creek. It was an absolutely perfect day to spray my irons all over the property. It was a wonderful walk with great company. I’m pretty positive that Cedar Creek will have a new member next year. Cheers all!

4 Likes

Fellow polite Wisconsinites, I have news!

5 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m going to be in Cornell, Wisconsin next weekend. Recommendations for golf nearby? I know nothing about the area.

The guys I’m playing with probably don’t want to spend a ton of money and care way more about conditioning than architecture if that guides the choice.

I have a friend that’s said good things about Lake Wissota Golf Club but can’t speak to it personally.

2 Likes

@djpie and fellow Wisconsinites!

Re MKE Coffee - Collectivo, formerly Alterra, is the OG of fancy hipster coffee in Milwaukee and does it right. Stone Creek is solid. But don’t sleep on Valentine, they’re trying to fill the under the radar hipster coffee vibes that Alterra started - https://www.valentinecoffeeco.com/

Re Bucks - get ready to fall in love with Giannis. He’s the reason for all the Bucks buzz around the city. My favorite Giannis story is the one where a couple saw him running down Brady Street his rookie year to wire money back to Greece - OUT OF ORDER? - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

6 Likes

Robb and Joe are both great people, which adds to it for me.

2 Likes

Valentine is by far, IMO, the best coffee/coffee roasters in and around Milwaukee, followed by Anodyne and Stone Creek. Colectivo is still good and if it’s nearby, will do the job just fine but for coffee beans to brew at home, I’d go with those other three. Just have better options.

1 Like

Collectivo is where I will have somebody meet for a business conversation when I know they would much prefer to meet at Starbucks. I get decent coffee, their app, as @djpie said, is kick ass, and whomever I’m meeting can have their sugary drink too.

Totally agree with all of this and we’re absolutely in the weeds here. Collectivo has just been so consistently solid for so long and so much better than Starbucks. I hit up a Stone Creek in lake country over the weekend and was more impressed than I previously remembered. But I still say Valentine all day every day if I had my pick and I’m lucky my company has it downstairs…

2 Likes

Not that it wasn’t clear, but just in case…it’s free to attend the Mid-Am at both courses this weekend and M-W at Erin. Lots of work being put in. Looking forward to this!

4 Likes

As always, thank you for your service over there. It’s always in such great shape!

2 Likes

Anyone play Ojibwa in Chippewa Falls? Based on the website I’m not expecting much. Anything I can look forward to?

Need three more bodies for 10/22 at Shepherd’s Crook, basically straddles the border. Come on down!

2 Likes

Sconnie friends - I am volunteering at the Mid-Am Mon-Wednesday next week and am wondering if it’s worth it to bring my clubs? Are there decent courses in the area that might have some late afternoon availability? Any recommendations? I’m staying in an AirBnB around Lake Friess in case anyone wants to meet up for a round/drinks!

You’re pretty close to Washington County Golf Course, which is an excellent muni track.

2 Likes

I believe @chrisisoutrunning , @blakehall and myself talked about meeting up Monday afternoon, not sure what that will all entail but you’re welcome to join! I have dinner plans that night but will undoubtedly be looking to grab a beer on the course or somewhere local after my 6am-12pm shift that day.

1 Like