Roll Call: Wisconsin - Hibernation

You landed in a good location, Washington County is one of the best public courses in the area that is very affordable

6 Likes

I started scoping it out before we moved and noticed it was a good area. Looking forward to the Spring.

Welcome to (the suburbs of) The Good Land!

Hammer that resident rate at Washington County. Deertrak is a nice run as well. Iā€™m excited for The Club at Lac La Belle to open up in June.

2 Likes

Also have Erin Hills in your back yard for the occasional splurge, Kettle Hills (45 holes) nearby, Lawsonia only about an hour away, and plenty of good golf in the Milwaukee area.

2 Likes

This! My in-laws live across the way from original course, but with the added holes they now live off the first fairway. I may or may not have hit an unofficial ceremonial opening tee shot on #1 last summerā€¦

3 Likes

Had not heard of Lac La Belle, just checked out the website and it looks Siiiiick. on the list now!

1 Like

Sounds like your in-laws are hosting after a meet up

4 Likes

Erin Hills has a great deal going in June for unlimited play on weekends for $335. I just booked a foursome for this and have a 7am and 1pm tee times and 6:30 on the Kettle Loop. Plus they have the Drummlins putting course and it includes $40 toward a hat. Pretty good value compared to regular rates.

In addition to the great public options, there are a few really good private options not too far from you. Shoot me a PM if you would like more info.

1 Like

Where do I find that EH deal? Or do I just call to book? Iā€™d for sure be interested in taking advantage of that

I got it in an email, but just called and mentioned it to book the tee times.

2 Likes

Member at Hidden Glen in Cedarburg, WI. Currently a 6.7

For those unfamiliar with the Wisconsin Golf Platinum Passport, Iā€™ve bought it the last 4 years and itā€™s been a fantastic deal. 50-60 courses for free (usually have to pay cart fees). It is usually restricted to Monday-Friday and Weekends after 1PM, but most of the courses includes a free second player.

With Blackwolf Run, the Bull, and Lake Geneva, it pays for itself.

Morningstar is the best deal in the state IMO. $50 before 730AM and people scoot around that course.

Stevens Point CC is fantastic (donā€™t go early, ticks are bad).

http://www.gcow.org/platinum-passport/

2 Likes

Ticks! This reminds me of another course where ticks were awful: Hunters Glen in Crivitz.

Played a high school tourney there and remember peeling off quite a few after the practice round and tournament round.

Ticks are horrible near Crivitz. We have a family cabin up that way, and we always have to be vigilant in the spring.

I feel like Wisconsin has to be one of the only states where NLU could pull off a ā€œStrappedā€ season combined within a Tourist Sauce season.

Strapped Courses:

1. Brown Deer - Evening Bunder ($25 all you can play + sleeve of Callaways + 2 beers)
  2. Mee-Kwon Park Golf Course or Hawthorne
  3. Dretzka or Currie
    Throw in a Lake Park quick 18.

Tourist Sauce (has to be in Fall, 2020 with Ryder Cup, Badgers playing ND in Lambeau, and Packers season) :

1. Grand Geneva
  2. Milwaukee CC
  3. Erin Hills
  4. The Bull
  5. Blackwolf Run(s)
  6. Whistling Straits
  7. University Ridge (for Big Randy) Steve Stricker hosting.
    8 / 9. Sand Valley Courses
  8. Packer or Badger Game

Who says no?

5 Likes

I would play Lawsonia a hundred times over before I play Grand Geneva and Pine Hills CC over The Bull but I generally agree. Maybe throw in Blue Mound while in MKE too. Iā€™m from Green Bay Area and live in Madison and Iā€™m not sure that either spots would be worth the detour for Tourist Sauce unless they incorporated a Packer or Badger game into their plans. Would be really cool to see them give more love to WI though. Could be coming with The Nest event at Brown Deer Park in May and the Ryder Cup.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with @MuniMafia. Really, any TS-like list for Wisconsin that doesnā€™t include Lawsonia is a flawed list to start with.

Iā€™m going to skip including Milwaukee and Blue Mound CCs due to the private nature of things.

Tier 1 (must have in the season, no particular order):

• Straits Course
  • Blackwolf Run (Iā€™d prefer to see them play the original 18, which could be done in the early spring/late fall, but if not, River)
  • Sand Valley
  • Mammoth Dunes
  • The Sandbox
  • Lawsonia Links
  • Erin Hills

Tier 2 (Fill in the gaps to get 8-12 episodes)

• WS Irish
  • BR Meadow Valley
  • Wild Rock
  • URidge
  • The Bull
  • Various Lake Geneva courses
  • Troy Burne (obviously super out of the way)
  • SentryWorld
  • The Bog
  • Brown Deer Park (just for the GMO history)

As far as Strapped, I canā€™t argue with your choices, the only Milwaukee course Iā€™ve ever played is Lake Park (which I hope is somehow incorporated to the NLU event this year).

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more, this is a Solid list. It is usually the goal of TS seasons to visit places that are available to everyone. There are only a few course that havenā€™t been public, but that is in the minority for the overall list. The crazy thing is there are so many good course in WI, that the list combination could be endless.

Washington County with the wind up would be fun to see them go play too. Strapped or TS would be great.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s your ideal Thursday to Sunday Wisconsin trip?

Our Arcadia trip fell through due to pregnancy, keeping it a little more local. Iā€™m from Illinois, a mile south of the border.

Also, if anyone plays Twin Lakes CC (unlikely), Iā€™ll be there a bit this spring.

No budget?

Iā€™d go with the following:

Thursday: Erin Hills
Friday/Saturday: Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, The Sandox, and Lawsonia Links (Lawsonia either on the way up to SV or down toā€¦)
Sunday: Whistling Straits