Roll Call: Wisconsin - Hibernation

Dude you’ve got to do Sand Valley early in the year. It’s super cheap and replays are half off so it’s like $75 a round. It’s amazing.

1 Like

You guys, it’s pushing 60 today. I feel alive again.

2 Likes

Snow is burning fast! Just finalized a 3-day golf trip in June; Sand Valley>Whistling Straits>Erin Hills.

4 Likes

Planning to make my 2019 debut this Saturday at The Oaks in Cottage Grove. Hope others are getting out soon!

I saw The Oaks opened up tee times this weekend. I think I’ll walk on as a single either Sat / Sun as well. Finally golf season!

Anyone get out today? I got a quick 9 in at The Oaks. We have a few weeks before anything turns green in the Madison area.

Got to the range yesterday and hit some wedges and scoring irons. Little trigger shy to get to the big clubs/play a round. It’s like I won’t let myself believe spring is finally here, haha.

Played 9 at Door Creek yesterday. Still soggy in many parts and some bunkers have snow/water, but still in decent shape for it being this early.

1 Like

Played 18 at the Oaks on Saturday. The starter said they had 200 people on the tee sheet that day and there were in fact a ton of golfers out. Still some snow in some bunkers but only a handful of soggy areas.

Do you guys/gals have any favorite muni/around or under $50 courses that you particularly enjoyed? Doesn’t have to be architecturally compelling, but just any round vaguely within that tier II or tier III range that you happened to enjoy?

EDIT: I can share a few from memory. Scenic View in Slinger has a handful of cool holes. Same goes for Brighton Dale Links in Kansasville and Eagle Springs in Eagle. Naga-Waukee is really cool (and has one of my favorite tee box views I’ve played recently). That’s just a few. I could keep going, but that’s the first ones that popped up.

1 Like

I grew up in the Coulee Region, so my short list includes;

• Forest Hills, La Crosse WI (great course nestled up to the bluffs)
  • Viroqua Hills, Viroqua WI (amazing landscape and views in the drift less region)
  • River Run, Sparta WI (terrific layout with a tale of two nines, ie water then trees)

I went to lax and played forest hills a bunch and had no idea that it was a decent track. Related: I am a moron. Have you been back since the renovations?*

*I think they changed some holes. Maybe 18?

Where exactly are you? Washington County is a pretty strategic course and in great shape. They host a bunch of qualifiers ($35ish now for walking, $45/$60 walking during peak)

Brown Deer, as a Milwaukee resident with the discount card, is just comical to me. It’s ~$40, and their greens always seem to be in absolutely fantastic shape. Still remember the first time I played there, I had a super long putt that rolled for like 11 seconds and came up just short of the hole. The layouts aren’t super exciting or anything, but it’s still fun and, yeah, great price.

I’m on the border of Menomonee Falls and Brookfield now and grew up in Milwaukee, so I’ve played a lot in those areas. Haven’t played Washington County since high school, so I’ll have to check that out again. Really I’m not looking for anything specific, but rather just build up a ‘rolodex’ of as many fun and semi-affordable places to play all across the state for everyone.

ah nice! Then also, if anybody has any good deals they know, toss that onto here too.

Morningstar has a great “before 10am” deal on the weekdays. ($44 with cart, and I think you can do $24 without? not sure, i’ve never tried walking it). Note: I’ve played here like 5 times, have always shot 81-83 which is my PR, so naturally I’m a fan, but last time I was there (fall 2018), the greens were really beat up. Still a very cool course in a quarry. Lots of elevation and cool looks.

Sidebar/threadjack: For those that have played either of them - should I peg it at Pine Hills CC or Blue Mound GC the Sunday after the Steam Shovel @ Lawsonia. My buddy has a 5PM flight so Mammoth/SV not an option, need to be going roughly east/south from Green Lake. (also, anyone else on here doing the SS?). Any input is appreciated.

Moved to Middleton from IL in middle school, grew up playing Bishops Bay & touring the WPGA Junior circuit around southern WI. Now live in KC (duh). SV/Mammoth/Sandbox blows Kohler out of the water IMO. Fav courses not SV/Kohler: Maple Bluff, Lawsonia Links, Northwoods Resort @ Lake Namakagon (sentimental pick, I like to play a nice 9 hole/5 beer/no shoes/rental clubs round there during our summer vacays).

Never have played Pine Hills but can vouch for Bluemound (if you can get on). Simple but strategic off the tee and all kinds of fun around the greens. Great Raynor template stuff. Hosting the 2020 Junior RC.

I’m very interested in BMGC due to the Raynor vibes but not sure if it will be worth it to pay the $200 unaccompanied rate in early May… anyone know the rate at Pine Hills?

Blue Mound has some really good templates. The Biarritz isn’t the entire green that’s probably the only knock, there was talk of extending the green but don’t know if they’ll ever do it. Punch Bowl is awesome and their Redan is good. If you can get on go for it.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in my homeland.

3 Likes