Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

Madison checking in.

Play off a 6.9, home course at University Ridge. Played the last 9 of the season there yesterday.

Bunker revamp on the back 9 is well underway and they’ll get started on the front 9 in the spring.

Course took an absolute mauling from the flooding in the fall, making #3 into an island green and completely destroying the Green/White/Red tees on #4.

Hoping they are able to recover well with an early spring.

6.9, niiiice

2 Likes

Figure i should check in on here and give Morningstar golf club a mention, maybe a little pricey but a pretty decent track. Got to play bluemound cc in high school a couple years ago absolutley stellar, need to hit sand valley & co next spring as i’ve only heard good things

Nice :eyes:

Did you do one of the membership options out there? If so, what was your experience? Thinking about trying that or Hawks as I’ll most likely be moving from the east side to fitchrona before next season.

Hawks recently bought Tumbledown and the rumor is they are going to redo it as a nine-hole executive course. They are also renovating the clubhouse at Hawks starting next year to add some simulators and a fitness center. I get the impression that they are making a move to go private in a couple years, but they haven’t shared any information on that with the us yet. They also haven’t released any membership pricing for 2019 yet, but it sounds like it should be coming soon.

Hayward GC is one of those gloriously playable semi-munis. Broke par for the first time ever on the Fish. Good golf in that area, if not slightly unkept.

1 Like

Played U ridge a few weeks ago as well with the up tees on Hole #4. I thought it was ironic that the hole went from one of the hardest/worst holes to the most enjoyable hole and a pretty solid hole overall by moving the tees to 290 yards.

Grew up in Milwaukee now over in Michigan. Still get back to see family in Minocqua where my dad has a standing 634 tee time every Sat & Sun at Timber Ridge

Ever played Plum Lake or Trout Lake?

1 Like

I have a cabin in Mercer, WI so my dad and I try to get out on Plum Lake as much as possible. The vibe out there is perfect…it’s everything a Northwoods course should be. Trout Lake is a fun track as well - great finishing hole.

Anybody else try to register for a WSGA tournament this morning and just have a hell of a time trying to even log in?

Played Morningstar last season. I got a steal at $50 for 18 and cart. Fun, playable but challenging course.

Plum Lake is a wonderful little track!

Introducing myself! Wauwatosa, 30yo in software, playing off 11.2

Morningstar is great and across 5 rounds there, i’ve always been between 81-84 (no idea why, but I just play well there), definitely gets a little scuffed up though, especially around the greens.

Prefer the geneva national courses (great rates during shoulder season, and always fantastic quality), The bull, the bog, lots of brown deer, and washington county is great. Play a lot down in chicago area with the in-laws.

What courses are we looking forward to playing here when the snow melts (read: if the snow melts)?

I’m hoping to get to Lawsonia a couple times and obviously want to play the courses at the Sand Valley property. Also plan on playing Bluemound quite a bit and anything around the general Milwaukee area. How about you guys?

This is the final stretch! I can feel it! Lawsonia is a big one for me. I’ve never been there, but this winter I’ve gone into a masochistic deep dive on golf course architecture while the snow continued piling up and with all the fried egg talk about Lawsonia, it’s at the top of my list. I’ve played SV, but want to get out to Mammoth Dunes and also play the Sandbox. I liked Orange County a lot, and I still love The Bull & the Geneva National courses, but for my typical quick rounds will still probably be Brown Deer or Morningstar.

How do you play BMGCC? I live right by it and stare enviously as I drive by… so if you ever need a fourth!

1 Like

I hope you’re right about the final stretch! I’m not as confident - I’ve never seen the snow this high on the side of my driveways. It feels like a tunnel as I drive out.

We played Lawsonia in high school matches, and I try to get back every year. It really is a great course, and deserves the attention it has been getting. Like Vytas, I’ve played Sand Valley, but not the other two courses, so that’s on my list as well. I bought the GCOW Passport (http://www.gcow.org) for my dad this year, so I think most of my rounds away from home will be at those courses.

Just looking forward to playing! Just finally paid my dues today (only a month late!) and I cannot wait to get out there. Looks like I might be jobless for a few months this summer too, whoops! What terrible timing.

I am in Dallas for work and am hopefully playing Stevens Park down here on Saturday. Always fun to play for the first time in a few months and never know what your shots will look like.

I live in Chicago and am planning on taking the day off work mid week when the weather gets good enough and checking out Lawsonia.

Really want to do Sand Valley, but christ, during the peak season (which is June - Sept) its north of $200 a round, so will have to plan a proper trip around it. I know this is the going rate for these premier destination courses but part of me was hoping it wouldn’t be so steep in the midwest.

1 Like

Do shoulder season! April - Mid May we should have at least a few perfect days… might be worth it to make it a spur of the moment decision and head out there and play for $105/$155… That’s basically Cantigny/Thunderhawk/Harborside rates right there (granted, it’s also a bit(ch) of a drive)