Roll Call: Virginia

Is this the green light for a “Hasta La Vista Links at Buena Vista” refuge outing?
Is the course still playable?

4 Likes

I have to drive out to BV for a basketball tournament tomorrow. I have a long gap between games (10:30-3:30). Maybe I should go play. I’m sure my team of 13 yo girls would love to spend the day walking around a soon to be defunct golf course.

5 Likes

Hows the golf scene around the Richmond area??? The company i work for is building a warehouse there and a transfer is possible.

1 Like

Depends on what you’re used to and looking for. There are a couple of nice public courses but it’s going to be $70-$125 for them, within an hour of Richmond.

Check out Belmont, the first tee just put a bunch of money into it. Converted 18 holes into a nice driving range, short game area, 12 full holes and a 6 hole par 3 course.

There are a ton of private clubs around too. Just depends where you’d be working/living.

4 Likes

Arguably some very affordable private ones as well

3 Likes

Belmont is definitely the Bel of the Ball around here right now (see what I did there?). I’m a First Tee volunteer coach, so I’m in no way objective about it. Independence is a good high-end daily-fee that’s easily accessible to both the Southside and West End suburbs, but it’s spendy. Plenty of solid (if unspectacular) public courses in all price ranges (especially if you don’t mind driving a little bit). Fun country cow-pasture golf on the outer fringes. Good private options as well with some architectural pedigree if that’s your thing. Easy trip down 95/85 to the Sandhills.

Royal New Kent was doing a sub $50 midweek twilight rate last summer that’s reason enough for anyone to move here. There’s never anyone out there, you can just keep playing the first 10 holes if you’re not a fan of the back nine.

Hop over to the Richmond thread, join our WhatsApp chat and #GetInvolved.

5 Likes

Registration for the VSGA one-day events opened this morning. Anybody else sign up for an event? I’m signed up for Lake Chesdin, Federal Club, and waitlisted for Birdwood. Hoping to see some fellow nesticles out there!

3 Likes

I was just thrilled to book a tee time for saturday at this point

3 Likes

Let me know when you want to schedule your practice round.

3 Likes

This was the only course I signed up for where I’ve actually played at least once. With that being said, a comfy practice round is a must later this year.

I haven’t looked at the schedule yet, but I would like to play another event or two this year. I had a terrible round in the four ball event at Fords Colony last year - before getting chased off the course by a monsoon.

2 Likes

I think we need an event takeover. But it looks like Federal Club is sold out.

3 Likes

I just signed up for Royal New Kent 3/23 tonight to kick things off so far and will see on some of the summer ones. I am considering some Richmond tracks I have never seen/played with 6/27 4ball: Meadowbrook, 7/11 Dominion Club, and 7/25 Brandermill. Too bad on Federal club sold out, it is hott hott hott. Cheers and good luck in 1days!

5 Likes

It appears I am making headway for the 3BR again, the Pete Dye River Course at VA Tech is very receptive and I’m working on dates that work for both me and the course to start.

10 Likes

As I’ve never had the pleasure of playing the PD River Course, this would be muy bueno.

1 Like

I have heard great things about this course! My friend got his agronomy degree from VT and enjoyed the course. This event was stellar, cannot wait to play in it this year!!!

3 Likes

River course is going to be the venue for sure, they have extended me a rate of $50 for us too. I am gonna be working with the roost and NLU to finalize a date here soon. thinking mid/late july again for now

7 Likes

July 23 :wink:

as of now that is going to my first choice, just need to confirm with the powers at NLU and the VA roost, but looks like that will be it for now

5 Likes

Army trip might start a day early :wink: