Roll Call: The Duck Club | Canadians, Beer and Cow Pastures

And unless it’s changed, the NS resident rate is just the resort rate.

Now, if you’re from Cape Breton you can get some sick off season and twilight rates. A couple of us looked at buying a small land parcel just to have the property tax receipt to get the rate haha.

Nova Scotia is same as Resort Guest

Sick deal for CB residents. How much is the land?

in Inverness, a hell of a lot more than it was 10-15 years ago. Was probably some of the cheapest in the province then.

New Recruit based out of Calgary, but on the road most summers.

This year I played most of my golf out of Banff, thanks to some good fortune. When I am in town, you can find me haunting Delacour, Collicut Siding, or playing the Valley 9 at Shagnappi.

9 Likes

Welcome! I’m no longer in Calgary, but there’s a number of people who are. MASSIVE fan of Delacour though - man, I miss that course. Tee shot on #2 is so far in my head, I’ve missed it with just about every club in my bag.

2 Likes

Welcome fellow Calgarian. Shout out to the Alberta roll call too. Sometimes golf is organized locally through that thread.

Also a big Delafour fan. Tremendous value.

1 Like

Western NY here, I pronounce it Douche-Bag-O.

Bumping this back up. Initial plans for a Western Canadian meet-up (likely in Kelowna).

Just expressions of interest at this point (Google sheet in the initial post). And, based on the responses to this point, the Olympic Prolific in May, the Ontario event in June, we are probably looking at July (or possibly August).

Has anyone played the Quail and Bear courses in Kelowna? They seem to be well set-up for tournaments (a really good planning doc on their site). Given the numbers so far it may be possible to do it anywhere (Tower Ranch?). Pretty much everything in play at this point.

3 Likes

Did not see this mentioned before. SMASH that interested button.

2 Likes

If your looking at doing something in the Okanagan. I would recommend Osoyoos over Kelowna. Kelowna is great if we are looking for a spot with lots of night life and other things. Buy if you’re looking to plan a golf focused jam then I think Osoyoos is the spot for us.

As the 36 at Osoyoos G&C is the perfect tournament host as it has two contrasting 18’s. Desert Gold, the newer of the two courses there is a true test of golf benched above the lake the winds will challenge you to shape the ball to hold the challenging fairways and rollicking greens. The old course Park Meadow is an apt name for this course. It’s a gentle friendly walk in a park, scoring here is easy once you find the green but that can be a challenge as the greens are small and smartly defended. This is one of those course that you always feel like you could have gotten another one out there.

It is also worth mentioning that across the road is one of Canada’s best short courses. Sonora Dunes this quirky, bunkerless 9 weaves its way up desert washes and through the landscape using the wind and contours as it’s only defense. This is the type of course you could post up at for a day and play a series of fun matches with half sets, or 1 club challenges and stuff of that nature.

This is not mentioning the other two course in the area Desert Canyon and Fairview Mountain. Both are solid courses but not really worth building a trip around.

All this being said if you do decide to go to Kelowna. I would recommend shooting Kelowna G&C an email. It’s the best course in the region by a long shot and are open to some outside guest play including tournaments. It’s a great chance to experience the work of A.V Macan the golden age PNW great whose work was just restored by Jeff Mingay.

4 Likes

i know, right! I only ever played the west at Jacaranda. Played well and liked it a lot
My father in law is a snowbird member at Plantation, so we’re there mon-wed-fri for the two weeks whil we are there. Sometimes we mix it up and go to Pembroke Lakes for a change.

When we get permission from the wives (there’s always a catch :laughing:) me and my brother in law sneak off to Osprey Point in Boca Raton. I LOVE that course. Three 9 hole muni. Always feel like im playing a different track because the rotation always changes

Land value has sky rocketed
Even the old town houses are selling for over $500K
A lot of people just Airbnb their place during the golfing season

Land is slim pickings now.
People selling houses (renovated) for $1 million plus in some instances

Couldnt pay people to live there before Cabot

I am a Cape Breton resident
Dont live there anymore, but still have land

usually book 5 rounds a year when bookings open
$65-$110 for a round at Cabot? tell me a better deal…
I’m waiting :thinking: :laughing:

4 Likes

Haven’t played Osprey Point. Will have to put it on the list. If you get the chance to play Deer Creek it is a really nice course as well.
Plantation is great and I love having a beer after on the patio watching people rinse it on 9.

1 Like

3-4 years ago when I started at my current job, I told my principals to snatch up 2-3 properties in Inverness. They were still pretty cheap. They didn’t believe me and one of them recently resold for almost double.

Let’s just say I’ve been apologized to. I mean if you’re willing to go 10-15 min outside the town, land is still pretty cheap, you’ll just never be able to unload it.

Mini me is fired up that the community rink is going up in the park.

3 Likes

11 Likes

Well I’ll have that in my head for a day or so!

1 Like

I’ve said it before (I think) but I highly recommend everyone search out the documentary “Spirit Unforgettable”.

Unreal look at Alzheimer’s and John Mann’s story.

Also, Spirit of the West is just an amazing band and Home For A Rest absolutely fuqs.

1 Like

Deer Creek, never heard of it… ill look it up now

yearly ball count of balls in the water on 9 must outrageous.
in one day, my brother in law smashed his wedge into the wooden frame and the head of his wedge fell into the water. 3 minutes later, father in law takes 3 to get out of the slippery back bunker, third one goes in the water, looks around and tomahawks his wedge over the water next to the cart path by the club house #YaHateToSeeIt

Last point: The wings and hot sauce there are 12/10

1 Like