Roll Call: St. Louis - Match Play Info Post 2739

Easily the best conditioned course in Mid Missouri

2 Likes

Any recommendations on a course pro who can give a couple good lessons? I’m in Brentwood. Google is only so helpful when it comes to finding someone who actually knows what they’re talking about. Handicap around 16 if it makes a difference.

1 Like

Hey welcome to the 'Fuge!

Ryan Martin out at Forest Hills is exceptional. Great communicator and his knowledge of the swing is obvious when you talk to him. Idk if Forest Hills is allowing guests yet, but he’s got the full Trackman setup and a par 3 course to play on. Highly recommend Ryan.

1 Like

I’m playing aberdeen tomorrow at 3:00 if anyone wants to join hit me up

Anyone able to give a recent conditions report on Stone Wolf?

hey guis
I am doing a two week road trip. One of the days I will be going through St. Louis was wondering if anyone has any good public courses to play. Also if anyone wants to meet up for a round that would be great too. I will throw the link in the thread. Take a peek and see if you have any other advice that could be useful.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/road-trip-13-days-9-states/33820

1 Like

Aberdeen is my fav of the public courses and I’m always down to play with a fellow refuge

3 Likes

There are some wildly differing opinions on courses in this Roll Call. Aberdeen is fantastic, most agree. If you’re a masochist then you should play Normandie. I’m of the belief it’s maybe the best routing in St. Louis, has great history, and really tests your game. However, many will say stay the fuq away.

2 Likes

I mean, I think you covered it.

3 Likes

Going to Peoria from STL, you’ll probably want to stay closer to downtown or the Illinois side. Gateway best option for quality/location but pretty limited on tee times and costly. Me (7 HC) and a buddy (2 HC) are playing at Forest Park 8/23 at 8:18am. More than welcome to join us.

Stone Wolf is never worth playing no matter the conditions

6 Likes

Don’t care much for target golf, eh?

You know I hit ball far and generally suck with my iron play… so no haha

1 Like

Any body in here playing more towards central and south IL?

haha I’ve only played once and generally agree. Thanks to COVID I am playing more than ever and getting burnt out on the normal courses and was looking for somewhere different. Weekend tee times have been disappearing crazy fast lately so pickings were slim.

A few of the new courses I’ve tried:
Birch Creek I really enjoyed. Glad it isn’t closer to the county or it would be packed.
Spencer T was solid but quite a drive for me
Acorns was just meh and their greens were way too slow.
Wolf Hollow and Forest Park coming up next

2 Likes

Wolf Hollow is in good shape. Don’t let the first 5 holes impact your opinion of it too much. Starts off quirky but then there are some good holes. If you have never been you may want to go with someone who has bc you can lose a lot of balls not knowing what line to take or club to hit off of certain tees.

2 Likes

Who is up for a round Thursday (8/27) late morning? Been watching our kids for the last 5 months due to COVID and my daughter starts kindergarten Thursday. Only in person school 2 days a week but I feel like I could use a round to celebrate surviving the summer (and my kids surviving me). Would love to play with some like minded golf nerds. I’m flexible on location. I’m in southwest STL county but can travel.

Me and @DivotPatterns are playing normandie tomorrow at 7:18 if anyone wants to join us hit me up

Annbriar is in mint condition, suggest getting out there ASAP.

2 Likes

Hey All, new guy here. Love seeing the STL area represented here. On the East Side, typically play Oak Brook, Belk Park, Tamarack. I stink (like 16-17) but always up for playing and getting better.

5 Likes