Roll Call: Orlando, FL Golfers

I always make my tee times directly with the course (mostly because golf now only has the full adult rate and I typically play with my son, who’s a $7 junior rate).

But their policy is you can only make times 3 days in advance if you’re not a member, and members tend to snag those primo times because they’re able to book further in advance.

Thanks @SmotheredHook — I appreciate it. When she said, “Use Golf Now” I was like whaaaaaaa…?

I’ll give her a ring back a few days out.

Anyone with experience at the Bay Hill Lodge staying and playing please send me a DM! Thanks!

1 Like

last raffle bump

An FYI for the Orlando area:

1 Like

We’re battling for the state. Get involved!

5 Likes

Is there anything you would recommend playing in/around Kissimmee? We’re staying there in July, and while I’m going to try to get to WP9 by myself, I have family that wants to play something close by. We actually played Falcons Fire a few years ago and it didn’t leave a lasting impression on me. Would love to find something worth coming back to in the future.

Hey all,

Going to be at Disney the week after Thanksgiving and trying to figure out my best options. I know that time of year is going to be pricey no matter where I play, but alas. We are staying at Old Key West and I will not have a car. My thought is just to play on property for the convenience. So with that what is the best course on Disney property? Pipe dream would be to find a way on Tranquilo but if I read correctly it is basically private/four seasons guests only? Any help is appreciated!

I played palm a couple weeks ago and was not impressed. The gentleman I played with said that magnolia was in much better shape. That being said palm wasn’t a bad course, I just was expecting something spectacular and got a normal Florida golf course. The Waldorf Astoria is also on property over by Disney Springs/Riviera, I played there as well and it was in spectacular shape… VERY penal though and it didn’t help that I didn’t drive the ball well. I would recommend checking Waldorf out if you only have one day to play.

Can’t speak to on-property courses outside Tranquilo (which is awesome). As Justin mentioned, Waldorf is nice too and at an adjacent property. While not on Disney property, Grand Cypress New Course and Celebration Golf Club are also nearby to Old Key West and would be good options.

Thanks. My wife just asked what day I would want to play and if you can use Disney gift cards to play, so I’m guessing I have a birthday present I already know about :joy: I’m thinking Magnolia might be the play, but still a long ways away.

2 Likes

Play Waldorf if you like really well-manicured, super tough golf courses. It’s a big-time challenge. If you’re not an “LCP” guy, you’ll leave there feeling like it was a mega-grind.

Play LBV. It snakes around old key west. Also yes you can pay with disney gift cards.

2 Likes

I would second playing LBV. It’s going to be the easiest option for you. If you want to go off Disney property, Waldorf and Grand Cypress would be super easy and cheap Uber rides.

1 Like

It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I have a lot of fun everytime I play Grand Cypress New.
I don’t make a habit of raving about Nicklaus courses, his ‘max pain’ approach can be tiring. But the new course has some fun green run-off areas, and is actually fairly forgiving off the tee.

7 Likes

Agreed with the exception of the approaches on 8 and 10; the burn gets in my head and I’ve deposited a ball or two into it.

3 Likes

If you’re ok with getting off Disney property I just played Orange county national last week. Didn’t realize it’s where the Korn ferry finals were last year when I booked but was pleasantly surprised. Probably 30 minutes from Disney property.

3 Likes

Additionally home to “the nation’s largest driving range”

1 Like

Yeah, both OCN courses are quite nice. Despite the potential “intimidation” of the KFT and other mini-tour qualifiers historically being held there, both tracks are quite playable.

Crooked Cat is my preference. It has short par-5s and long par-3s. From the tees I play (~6300 if I recall correctly), all of the par-5s are reachable with the longest being 484. 17 is my favorite as it’s a big dogleg right where you can cut the 'leg off the tee if you’re long. But you have to carry/avoid some trees to do it.

Panther Lake is also nice and similarly playable. And they have a short course there too (though I’ve never played it).

1 Like

Played Celebration last Saturday with my dad to celebrate his birthday. Course was in as rough of shape as I’ve ever seen it. Numerous tee boxes were dirt with patches of St. Augustine, with not a shred of Bermuda to be found. Fairways were OK, but several green surrounds were mostly loose sand/dirt. The greens were fair, but certainly not the traditional immaculate conditions from a few years ago.

I don’t know if prior maintenance practices were unsustainable for cost or environmental reasons, but this course needs some TLC.